Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side O’ Beef

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So I was presented the opportunity on short notice to purchase a side of grass fed beef as someone backed out. 

Hanging weight was 464 lbs. Farmer got $2.25/lb, butcher got $0.40/lb plus $30 slaughter fee. 

All in was $1,259.60 (if you dont include gas, food saver bags, new freezer, etc).

Weight in the freezer is 262 lbs, so a yield of 56%.

Color me happy.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Heck yeah! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
  • CTMike
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Time to get a freezer alarm if you don't already have one...
    Thank you for the reminder, I will get one on order now. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    You had better make sure your power-plant output and grid to the house is dang near bullet -proof.  ;)  Great score right there.
    Nuking it out-that's 5+ lbs /week for a year.  Livin' quite well right there.
    Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Time to get a freezer alarm if you don't already have one...
    Thanks for that.  Never had one but now I know I need one.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Mickey has quite a good and simple freezer alarm.  Take a glass of water and freeze it, mark the level of ice in the glass and then place a coin (penny for you surgeons) in the glass and in the freezer.  Should that penny level decrease then you have had a major loss of power/cooling accident.  Help is on the way!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mickey has quite a good and simple freezer alarm.  Take a glass of water and freeze it, mark the level of ice in the glass and then place a coin (penny for you surgeons) in the glass and in the freezer.  Should that penny level decrease then you have had a major loss of power/cooling accident.  Help is on the way!  FWIW-
    How does the penny in the glass notify my iPhone 42 miles away?  Chemist before surgeon Cap, I know that trick  =).  Got a lot in a freezer at the lake (including 2 SRF briskets plus a lot more) I want to keep safe.  Thanks for your help.  B)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent- you are 42 miles away.  WTF are you gonna do when your freezer loses power unless you have an automatic generator??  Wring you hands, call an audible and hope you get the juice back.  Not like your iphone has an app to fix the loss of power.  That's all the insight you need this PM.  ;)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent- you are 42 miles away.  WTF are you gonna do when your freezer loses power unless you have an automatic generator??  Wring you hands, call an audible and hope you get the juice back.  Not like your iphone has an app to fix the loss of power.  That's all the insight you need this PM.  ;)
    I'll get in the 911, race up 400 and plug in the 5000kw back up generator with 20 gallons of gas on hand.  And live to smoke another day.  ;)
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    great score if your freezer goes I can be there in 15 minutes with a grill and an appetite

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nice - it always feels good to have inventory!

Phoenix 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Food saver bags? When we were raising our own beef the Butcher's fee covered wrapping and labeling all the cuts with freezer grade wrapping. I guess times have changed.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Food saver bags? When we were raising our own beef the Butcher's fee covered wrapping and labeling all the cuts with freezer grade wrapping. I guess times have changed.
    Butchers in my neck of the woods typically get $1/lb. This guy only charges $0.40/lb but you have to package it yourself. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Beef....its what's for dinner. Tonight. Tomorrow. The Rest of the Year.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings