Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo butt

Options
Actually it's an arm. $.99LB if I mess up it won't cost as much. Decided to go turbo
375 dome hoping to be done in 6 hours. 

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Is that brown sugar in your rub?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    I was so unimpressed with turbo butt. However I believe I had a bad butt to begin with. That being said; no more turbo for me. Slow is the only way for me
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • RiverBBQ
    Options
    I do want to know what’s in your tub looks great
  • RiverBBQ
    Options
    Rub, sorry auto correct. Hope turns out better than mine
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    375° is rather hot if you have sugar in the rub. Most stay at 350° (the temp at which sugar burns) or below. I usually cook ±8 lb at 300-320° and start about 9-10AM. Done by 5-6P. No more overnight cooks for me!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    Options
    RiverBBQ said:
    I was so unimpressed with turbo butt. However I believe I had a bad butt to begin with. That being said; no more turbo for me. Slow is the only way for me
    Just the opposite here. I quickly realized that I was utterly unable to tell the difference, so turbo is the only way I cook a butt now. It just makes sense.

Ribs are another story. Maybe I'm missing a critical step, but my 5 hour ribs are way better than any turbo ribs I've ever done, so I'll stick with low and slow there.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    I forgot to add brown sugar in the rub. 

Here is the what I put in the rub
    Siracha base 
    Salt pepper garlic onion powder and paprika. 

How long should I FTC the butt? I'm shooting for an internal temp of 205?
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @510BG leave the brown sugar out. Like @Carolina Q said sugar at that temp will burn the bark. I usually go about 325-350 and high 2’s if I have sugar on it. 

Let us us know how it comes out. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Options
    510BG said:
    I never FTC. Unless the butt is ready before it's time to eat. And regardless of temp, the meat is ready when a probe goes in with no resistance anywhere. But yeah, 205 is about right.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 510BG
    edited November 2018
    Options
    510BG said:
    I never FTC. Unless the butt is ready before it's time to eat. And regardless of temp, the meat is ready when a probe goes in with no resistance anywhere. But yeah, 205 is about right.
    Do you let the butt rest before serving ?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    No rest. When it's done, I pull and chow down.

One time, the butt probed well at one end, but not done at the other. It was late, I was hungry, so... I pulled half and left the rest on the egg til done.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 510BG
    Options
    Looks good. I trimmed off most the fat on the arm hoping that was the right thing to do?
  • 510BG
    Options
    6 hours just pulled the butt. 30-45 mins rest 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Looks really good. Well done. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    RiverBBQ said:
    Don't give up after one try. See Carolina Q's comment. I run turbo butts at 350 and little less or little more for a while does not kill the cook. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• 510BG
    Options
    RiverBBQ said:
    Don't give up after one try. See Carolina Q's comment. I run turbo butts at 350 and little less or little more for a while does not kill the cook. 
    I ran as high as 400. I'm going to try to keep the temp steady at 360ish next time. I should have waited an hour before shredding. I lost some juice resting at 45 mins.