Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tortillas

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
So Norah wants to make shrimp tacos for dinner on Sunday for her momma.   We’ve never made fresh tortillas, so I bought her a tortilla press.  Now I just need some advise on how to make them.  

So any any of you out there experienced in the art of tortilla making we’d appreciate it.   
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2018
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No skill set here but I know the outcome will be top-shelf.  So, post up her cook once she brings it home as I know she will.  What an impressive level of enthusiasm. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ask Norah. She probably has it figured out by now. She's pretty good at this cooking thing! =)

Check YouTube. From what I gather, you use a press for corn tortillas and a rolling pin for flour. Not sure why. Or if that's true.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Google a rick Bayless video. Easy and that’s what we use. Masa, water, press. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I cut out two round pieces of wax paper to keep the masa from sticking to the press. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I recommend practicing tomorrow beforehand. I bought a press and messed with it once. I thought it would be easy. It’s collecting dust now.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Make them all beforehand and separate with parchment/wax paper.  It’s a quick cook.  Don’t let the skillet/griddle get to hot.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I recommend practicing tomorrow beforehand. I bought a press and messed with it once. I thought it would be easy. It’s collecting dust now.  
    It IS easy. For corn tortillas anyway. Dunno about flour. No expert here, but corn tortillas were easy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    It IS easy. For corn tortillas anyway. Dunno about flour. No expert here, but corn tortillas were easy.
    They’re both easy. Just don’t overcook 
  • ryantt
    @Carolina Q I’m sure she already and expert if I ask her....lol.  She’s started watching a lot of cooking videos on YouTube kids and this BBQ app we have on Apple TV and is now appears  to be opposed to store bought anything.  

Truth be told I’ll get her just about anything cooking related she ask me for, because we enjoy the time together as a family

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @ryantt Press is for corn tortillas not flour but, I'm sure you already know this by now. Disclosure...i didn't read any of the previous responses in this thread.  If you're making flour tortillas a 6"-8" hardwood bolillo is ideal. Thinner is better imho.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited October 2018
    I know this does not answer your Q.
    To me the tortillas are just a vehicle. The flavor comes from what you put in it. I usually get them from a mex tienda, they are cheap, and good. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• ryantt
    @NPHuskerFL  thanks for the heads up on flour  tortillas, I had no idea about the hardwood bolillo 

• Let the mixed flour sit for 15ish minutes. It makes them a little easier to handle. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Give ‘em a go. As folks have said, they are not hard to make, although they get better with experience. When you are comfortable making them, it’s not hard to add some extra flavor. I love to make a paste out of roasted Hatch chilis and add them to the masa. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon