Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age NY Strip experiment

Options
I know a bunch of guys do these yourself but most post I have seen have been with ribeye. I could not pass up this deal at Fresh Market last weekend at 7.99 lb for Prime NY Strip so I bought 2 of them and had one cut up into steaks and
vacumed packed and I figured I would try my hand at dry aging the other. I see that most go anywhere between 30 to 45 days, heck Brent and Sea2ski even went 100. Do you think the strip should go the same or less time since it is not as thick? Let me know what you think. This is 6 days in.Thanks,
LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Since you’re into experimenting I would suggest you cut 2 steaks off at 30, 40, 50 and 60 days and give us your opinion. I’m looking forward to your finding. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Since you’re into experimenting I would suggest you cut 2 steaks off at 30, 40, 50 and 60 days and give us your opinion. I’m looking forward to your finding. 
    Or check out this video for some great insights 

https://youtu.be/JeWauZQcv2U
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Surprised it’s got that much colour only 6 days in. Lookin’ good.
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    I know a bunch of guys do these yourself but most post I have seen have been with ribeye. I could not pass up this deal at Fresh Market last weekend at 7.99 lb for Prime NY Strip so I bought 2 of them and had one cut up into steaks and
    vacumed packed and I figured I would try my hand at dry aging the other. I see that most go anywhere between 30 to 45 days, heck Brent and Sea2ski even went 100. Do you think the strip should go the same or less time since it is not as thick? Let me know what you think. This is 6 days in.Thanks,
    Strip can go just as long as ribeye. I would go 90 days. If you find a good strip the marbling should carry through the entire primal. 
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. Stay tuned!!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looking good!! You are good to go as long as you want. I have gone from 2 weeks (not really aged- I know) to 120 days on a really large roast.  The question is - what do YOU like. You may or may not know the answer to that question, but you will find that answer over time.

Just a few comments.
    1) You have an elaborate setup with that cookie sheet. You can simplify and put a single layer of paper towels down for the first 24 hours. After that, I have nothing under the drying rack. You want as even of air circulation around the entire roast as you can. 

2) I will get roasted for this, but I am not crazy about the rind after aging. With that being said, I do not trim anything when done drying. I cut the steaks and then to the grill they go.  The only trimming I do is remove the fat cap to be about 1/4” to the best of my ability prior to aging, and if doing a ribeye, take the ribblets off.  By doing that, I have less “meat” rind - without trimming the fat cap,  The rind is fat, and that becomes like butter after aging. That is good stuff.  You trimmed all yours off - nothing wrong with that. It is purely personal preference.

I have been tying the roasts to get them as round as possible. I have found that it dries a bit more evenly.
    You will notice - especially with strip loins, that they will “flatten out”. This is just and aesthetic observation for loins. It bugs me so I typically tie them. 

And I agree with @GrillSgt Take a steak off at different intervals to see what you like. You do not have to do the whole thing for the same amount of time. 

With all the above statements, they are things that have worked for me.  Everything you are doing is perfectly fine. Glad you are giving it a go. Any questions -ask away. Lots of us do this and can help. 

Ohh... if you have exposed cheese in your fridge, you MAY get small white patches of white powdery mold on it. Do not worry. You can either leave it or wipe it off with vinegar. YOUR ROAST IS NOT RUINED!!  If you must throw it away - send it to me overnight with two ice packs for proper disposal. Pm me for my address. 

fyi - here is what I have left of a ribeye which I took the cap off of. This is 4 weeks in now. (Put an apple next to it for reference) been hacking steaks off it as needed. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I do NY Strip exclusively when dry aging. 45 days is the sweet mark. I've tried 50+ days and I found it wasn't as enjoyable 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gman2
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise fellas. I decided to go ahead and cut off two steaks today which was 28 days. Little neverous because it feels like a brick on the outside but when I cut into it I realized all was good. Seasoned with sea salt, steak seasoning, and a little hit of black carnivore.  It was awesome, couple photos here and going for 45 days for the next couple. 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Damn that looks good. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nice work!  Your 28 day results look fantastic.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Now that is an outcome  worthy of true praise.  Great execution across the board from the aging thru the money shot.  Nailed it and clearly more to follow.  Livin' large and well-earned. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    BOOM!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Bravo!!!  Pretty fun and cool to do, isn’t it?
    Large and MiniMax

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks REALLY good!! Never had a dry aged steak, much less aged it myself.

Do you guys just use your regular fridge, next to the eggs, cheese and Brussels sprouts, with no humidity control or fan? I understand some do just that, but others say absolutely NOT.

Anyone ever just do one steak, like a 2-3" one?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    I use the secondary fridge. Top shelf against the back. I wouldn’t have any issues doing it in the regular or only fridge other than the amount of space it takes up. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @Carolina Q I do it in my fridge in the kitchen. We do not often have brussel sprouts, but yes, right next to the eggs. Cheese is in a separate drawer. 

You can can not do a 2-3” mini roast. There is not enough mass. The absolute least I would go is about 7-8” -maybe.  But just get a whole roast and do it. My wife thought I was insane at the beginning (I thought I was as well) but now she almost insists that I get a new one when there are only about 4 steaks left.

Try it.  Then cut a couple steaks off 2-3 weeks in to see where you are headed.  Then a couple more a few days later.  Our sweet spot for us Is 30-35 days in our fridge.  We have done shorter and much longer. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I can make room in the kitchen fridge, just wanted to ask if that was a good idea. I do have a dorm fridge (one of the tall ones, not the cube). I never use it so the door could stay closed. Could put a fan in too. Gotta check the temp though, make sure it'll hold below 40°. Thanks again!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I can make room in the kitchen fridge, just wanted to ask if that was a good idea. I do have a dorm fridge (one of the tall ones, not the cube). I never use it so the door could stay closed. Could put a fan in too. Gotta check the temp though, make sure it'll hold below 40°. Thanks again!
    I'm doing one now in a small fridge. It is not quite dorm-sized but it's close. After some consultation with stike offline, he convinced me that you really do not need a fan.  You really just need some air circulation, and the blast of cold air that comes from the freezer as the unit modulates the temp is probably more than enough.  It's also probably a good idea to open it every once in awhile to get some new air in there. But other than that, I think it's a lot simpler than many people make it out to be.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, John. I know for a fact that the fridge door won't stay closed for a month or more. It could, but I couldn't stand it! Gotta watch the meat rot. =)

And I miss Jeff. Nice guy, great contributor on here!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Make sure no other odors are present in the fridge. Keep everything sealed or else the meat could pick up the odor. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks, John. I know for a fact that the fridge door won't stay closed for a month or more. It could, but I couldn't stand it! Gotta watch the meat rot. =)

And I miss Jeff. Nice guy, great contributor on here!
    Yep - it’s fun to watch.  I’ll probably take a couple of photos along the way and then see if I can’t jury rig together some kind of time lapse.

Agreed on Jeff!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its funny hearing the pros talk about fans, moisture control etc,  then they cut you a steak and trim all the good stuff off ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I'm doing one now in a small fridge. It is not quite dorm-sized but it's close. After some consultation with stike offline, he convinced me that you really do not need a fan.  You really just need some air circulation, and the blast of cold air that comes from the freezer as the unit modulates the temp is probably more than enough.  It's also probably a good idea to open it every once in awhile to get some new air in there. But other than that, I think it's a lot simpler than many people make it out to be.  
    I am not an expert, but have have done this about 20-25 times and I agree with the above. If I was to do it in a smaller dorm sized fridge - not the cube sized one, but the next size up - I would just open the door all the way once a day or whenever I remembered, but at least 3 times a week.  Nothing wrong with keeping other “stuff” in there as well so it holds temp a bit better as well. That is the same thing I do for my charcuterie chamber.  I keep gallons of water so the fridge does not cycle as much.

Every fridge is different as well. As as a non- scientific experiment, I tried to keep humidity up at 70% in a fridge with my dry aging roast in it opposed to my fridge in the kitchen. With that high humidity, there was not as much moisture loss and the rind was not nearly a desiccated as when done in the kitchen fridge. It took about 2x as long for it to reach that deep mahogany color than in the kitchen fridge as well. After 40 days, we cooked a steak up up, and while aged the same, moisture content was higher and the fat was not as buttery. I preferred my kitchen fridge better. That fat....  yummm....  I might try the high humidity environment  again if I wanted to go longer - like 80-120 days. Then I think - why?
    Then I think again and say why not? I mean, I can. 

But this is really getting technical and overly complex.  Those new to this are not sure what to expect. To you I say keep it simple.  Get a non-mechanically  tenderized roast, open it, set it on a cookie cooling rack and put it in a fridge. Open the door a few times a week and cut a steak off when you want to.  I would not bother until at least 2.5 -3 weeks in, although you can if you want.

@JohnInCarolina I have to say I am surprised you have not already done this at least once. 
    Large and MiniMax

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I am not an expert, but have have done this about 20-25 times and I agree with the above. If I was to do it in a smaller dorm sized fridge - not the cube sized one, but the next size up - I would just open the door all the way once a day or whenever I remembered, but at least 3 times a week.  Nothing wrong with keeping other “stuff” in there as well so it holds temp a bit better as well. That is the same thing I do for my charcuterie chamber.  I keep gallons of water so the fridge does not cycle as much.

Every fridge is different as well. As as a non- scientific experiment, I tried to keep humidity up at 70% in a fridge with my dry aging roast in it opposed to my fridge in the kitchen. With that high humidity, there was not as much moisture loss and the rind was not nearly a desiccated as when done in the kitchen fridge. It took about 2x as long for it to reach that deep mahogany color than in the kitchen fridge as well. After 40 days, we cooked a steak up up, and while aged the same, moisture content was higher and the fat was not as buttery. I preferred my kitchen fridge better. That fat....  yummm....  I might try the high humidity environment  again if I wanted to go longer - like 80-120 days. Then I think - why?

But this is really getting technical and overly complex.  Those new to this are not sure what to expect. To you I say keep it simple.  Get a non-mechanically  tenderized roast, open it, set it on a cookie cooling rack and put it in a fridge. Open the door a few times a week and cut a steak off when you want to.  I would not bother until at least 2.5 -3 weeks in, although you can if you want.

@JohnInCarolina I have to say I am surprised you have not already done this at least once. 
    Yep just got started on it. I have no idea what took me so long.   I’m looking forward to the results though!
  • Gman2
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Yep just got started on it. I have no idea what took me so long.   I’m looking forward to the results though!
    Not sure why I waited so long either. Now I can't wait to get another one going so there is always one in the rotation. Cheers!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Not sure why I waited so long either. Now I can't wait to get another one going so there is always one in the rotation. Cheers!!
    Besides always having one in rotation I sit down and draw up a plan for months ahead so as to rotate the sub-primal steaks I want to have in my freezer. For instance my wife and I love my dry aged rib eyes, New York strips and sirloins. IOW we like the choice of the variety of dry aged steaks in our freezer.

As for the discussion of the type of refrigerator I am in the school of thought that those "dorm" size units are not good for dry aging. Reason is simple...those units can and do chill the contents, but what dry aging means is removing the moisture from the meat, and that moisture needs to be drawn out of the refrig as the meat is aging.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gman2 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Besides always having one in rotation I sit down and draw up a plan for months ahead so as to rotate the sub-primal steaks I want to have in my freezer. For instance my wife and I love my dry aged rib eyes, New York strips and sirloins. IOW we like the choice of the variety of dry aged steaks in our freezer.

As for the discussion of the type of refrigerator I am in the school of thought that those "dorm" size units are not good for dry aging. Reason is simple...those units can and do chill the contents, but what dry aging means is removing the moisture from the meat, and that moisture needs to be drawn out of the refrig as the meat is aging.
    Ron don’t you age in those bags?
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gman2 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Yes I do. I don't see that my response advocated my preference.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited November 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Gman2 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Yeah I'm just trying to reconcile your comment about how the smaller fridges don't remove the moisture from the meat all that well with the fact that you use bags anyway.

By the way, how does the water content in the air in those small fridges compare to the water content in the meat?  Seems to me that the physics of diffusion hasn't changed much in say a couple of millennium at least but I'm always willing to learn new things.  
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Gman2 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Yeah I'm just trying to reconcile your comment about how the smaller fridges don't remove the moisture from the meat all that well with the fact that you use bags anyway.

By the way, how does the water content in the air in those small fridges compare to the water content in the meat?  Seems to me that the physics of diffusion hasn't changed much in say a couple of millennium at least but I'm always willing to learn new things.  
    John, I'm not wanting to get into a p*ssin contest...BUT my point is when the  moisture comes out of the meat it HAS to go somewhere. A working refrigerator works by drawing off the heat and moisture. A "dorm" size one merely chills the meat.