Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

containers for freezing food

Options
What type of containers do you use to freeze leftovers.    We need to freeze brisket, pulled pork, gumbo, soups, and some types of vegetables all after cooking.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I Vacuum Seal, then you can toss it right into the water bath ( Sous Vide) to warm
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Food saver. 

Buy one. Seriously
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Vacuum sealed plastic bags.  For liquids and soft items, freeze for a day and then vacuum seal in bags.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For irregular shapes, like pcs. of meat w. bones, vacuum seal. For liquids and soft stuff like stews, plain zip bags w. the air squeezed out, and laid flat, about an inch thick, and frozen on a pan into a slab. Once frozen, remove from pan.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I freeze juicy or soups in Corning then vacuum seal
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    ziplocks for soups and gravy, vacuum seal on meats. the ziplocks get stacked with corrugated cardboard between them, helps them from sliding around and holds them flatter for freezing.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Air is the enemy of frozen foods, so all these recommendations are good. I wrap in tight plastic wrap twice then into freeer bag with as much air squeezed out. One day I'll get a foodsaver.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    As others have said - I too use Food Saver bags. Here's my trick for packaging for all the soups I make. Cut the bottom out of a plastic glass* and insert that into the FS bag. Then pour in the soup and that keeps the upper walls clean. I then fold it over and use a strong "bag clip" to keep it from leaking and place them in the freezer for over night. Once frozen I seal them with my FS.

* BTW I've been using the same plastic glass for 10 or 12 years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I use a Food Saver for everything. I pre freeze a lot of things on a sheet pan so they don’t get squashed. I also freeze broths, stews and the like in Tupperware and then place in the Food Saver after frozen. Here’s an example. 1 1/2 lbs head on shrimp frozen in water in a container. Then to the vacuum bag. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Pro Tip with the Food Saver ( or any vacuum sealer ), on foods that may have a sharp edge IE Bones , even Beef Jerky ETC , I will wrap in a paper towel or even put in a open ziplock before sealing as you can easily puncture the storage bag once you create the vacuum ....it may even be the slightest of leaks you don't notice until you retrieve it later
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    As others have said - I too use Food Saver bags. Here's my trick for packaging for all the soups I make. Cut the bottom out of a plastic glass* and insert that into the FS bag. Then pour in the soup and that keeps the upper walls clean. I then fold it over and use a strong "bag clip" to keep it from leaking and place them in the freezer for over night. Once frozen I seal them with my FS.

If you google image search egghead @RRP freezer, you will find this at the top. I wish I had a freezer that looked like that!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    RRP said:

If you google image search egghead @RRP freezer, you will find this at the top. I wish I had a freezer that looked like that!!

that would last me maybe 5 years =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:

Thanks, Michael! Just 3 months ago that freezer which has been in our garage for an incredible 32 YEARS became history. Not that it quit working - just my fear of it dying and losing the MANY pounds of frozen meals. BUT - I also took advantage of our utility company's offer to pay us $50 for getting rid of it PLUS they hauled it off for free!
    Obviously we bought a replacement!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I vacuum seal but I have a LEM Maxvac 500. It’s awesome. I had trouble with food savers sealing 
    Dyersburg, TN