Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

This was the Aldis pre seasoned.
Was OK.
Marinade had a little vinegar taste that I didn’t care for. Looks better in photos than it tasted.
Roasted raised direct at 350 then a sear.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,813
    you owe me a new screen!
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,979
    That is a great looking tri tip 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,055
    I just bought and cooked my first tri-tip as well.  Wife found it at Sam’s.  It was pre-marinaded in a vinegar and oil seasoning.  Like yours mine looked better than it tasted, as the vinegar over powered the meat.  I would love to find one without any marinade.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    @MotownVol

I don't know if they have Trader Joe's by you guys but they carry them without any marinade
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Interesting, Tri Tip is one of my favorite cuts and I like Santa Maria style which has a light vinegar marinade, but it should be very mild, you barely taste it.  How long did you marinate it?  I usually use a dry rub (salt and garlic powder), then just baste as I am cooking it, the "marinade" is usually EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar I believe.  It did look good in the photos so there is that!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    MotownVol said:
    I just bought and cooked my first tri-tip as well.  Wife found it at Sam’s.  It was pre-marinaded in a vinegar and oil seasoning.  Like yours mine looked better than it tasted, as the vinegar over powered the meat.  I would love to find one without any marinade.
    i dont you know if yall have a sprouts near you or not but i sometimes find them there but they are very hit and miss.  Publix sometimes has some good ones also.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    edited October 2018
    CPARKTX said:
    Interesting, Tri Tip is one of my favorite cuts and I like Santa Maria style which has a light vinegar marinade, but it should be very mild, you barely taste it.  How long did you marinate it?  I usually use a dry rub (salt and garlic powder), then just baste as I am cooking it, the "marinade" is usually EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar I believe.  It did look good in the photos so there is that!

It was already seasoned, injected and violated in the bag.
    I just tossed it on the grill. It was OK, but would probably not buy it again.
    The vinegar twang was a little stong for me and it was also a little mushy in texture.
    But it made for a quick meal and leftovers will go well with scrambled eggs, I hope.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Living in California there are always plenty of tri-tip available without being preseaoned/marinated so it’s usually just something we pick up and cook last minute with minimal prep.  I’ve had good luck with using a marinade that I get cheap at the grocery store called Scott’s Monterey Mesquite.  I only marinade it for an hour or so in the fridge before reverse searing on the egg.  It has some soy sauce and vinegar in it and the quick marinade gives it good flavor without being too much once it’s cooked.  

They make a Santa Maria rub I have yet to try and I picked up a Bourdelaise Marinade of theirs to try out as well.  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beautiful steak man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    True Santa Maria style is not marinated. 
    Salt, pepper and garlic are the only seasoning used. 

The trick to good Tri Tip is the quality of the meat. 

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Nicely Cooked. Can’t undo a preseasoned anything. You did a nice job on your end. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,761
    I saw tri tips at the Costco on Richmond some time ago. Have not really looked for them, and don’t shop at that Costco much either, so not sure if they still carry them. The new Costco by you may have them, or may be able to order some?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited October 2018
    jabam said:
    True Santa Maria style is not marinated. 
    Salt, pepper and garlic are the only seasoning used. 

The trick to good Tri Tip is the quality of the meat. 

Agree, my marinade tri-tip I mentioned above is just my quick go to since tri-tips often end up being a last minute cook.  When I make it that way I just call it my easy tri-tip, Santa Maria would be rubbed dry and I’d find a good piece of meat.  
  • nice looking cook 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,055
    Kent8621 said:
    MotownVol said:
    i dont you know if yall have a sprouts near you or not but i sometimes find them there but they are very hit and miss.  Publix sometimes has some good ones also.

Unfortunately my grocery choices are Food City, Wal-Mart or Ingles.  Several of each.  Relatively new Aldi's but haven't been there yet.

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Darian, go west a few miles on FM-518 and try Stone Cold Meats.  They have 44 Farms tri-tip.  I've done one so far and already went by and picked up 2 more.  I made chimichurri to go with it and we loved it.  The kids gobbled it up and the wife raved about it.  We finished the whole thing in one sitting.

Stone Cold Meats is very active and responsive on Facebook.  They also have beef ribs, and Picanha.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Kelso said:
    Darian, go west a few miles on FM-518 and try Stone Cold Meats.  They have 44 Farms tri-tip.  I've done one so far and already went by and picked up 2 more.  I made chimichurri to go with it and we loved it.  The kids gobbled it up and the wife raved about it.  We finished the whole thing in one sitting.

Stone Cold Meats is very active and responsive on Facebook.  They also have beef ribs, and Picanha.
    Appreciate the tip. I will for sure look them up
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Look up Susie Q seasoning. Comes the Far Westen restaurant in Orcutt, CA. They used to be in Guadalupe. Nice blend of seasonings. I use it on everything.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    ^contains MSG^

they do have an MSG free alternative though
  • Photo Egg
    GrillSgt said:
    ^contains MSG^

they do have an MSG free alternative though
    That has even more salt to compensate for the MSG.
    I guess for people who have issues with MSG more salt is better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,054
    Thank you for sharing, I always like your posts.  We can all learn from them, even when the results are less the perfect.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.