Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Places to visit in South Dakota?

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
We're once again starting to plan our vacations for next year. Yellowstone and the Tetons are on the cards. We'll be flying in and out of Denver in September 2019, partly because it's a day's drive to Yellowstone (all other international airports we can access are at least two days). Also, British Airways do really cheap return flights from LHR to DEN. We are diverting up to Badlands National Park prior to heading west and that got me thinking that there might be some other interesting places in South Dakota. Any recommendations for places to visit en route? The rough route plan at the moment is Denver => Badlands => Yellowstone => Denver. Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    If you like "art" on a large scale - then you need to see Crazy Horse!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlcZlO-CCpo
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    South Dakota.  Honestly, it's not for everybody.  oh, that's Nebraska. same thing

Signal Mountain, TN
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Mitchell Corn palace. 
    End list.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    MT Rushmore and Custer park area is beautiful IMO. The Crazy horse  thing is cool for the inside display and written historical stories, but when we were there, it was a scam as far as seeing the actual monument. They kept it hidden and molested you for donations to finish. There are caves in the area with guided tours and archeological site nearby. Enjoy the beauty.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    If you can hit Mt Rushmore for the lighting at night, that's amazing, and the tunnels cut into Iron Mountain Road as you leave perfectly frame the lit Faces; you just have to be careful about the bison, they're very dark at night and weigh more than your rental car!  I think Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills is beautiful, its a bit up to the north, and try to drive Needles Highway.  
    Devil's Tower (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) is en-route from the Black Hills to Yellowstone.  
    I grew up in Sioux Falls, and will say all the scenic stuff is in the western half of the state, unless you're into the world's largest ball of twine.  :lol:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Wall Drug

What more could you ask for?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    edited October 2018
    Options
     The Crazy horse  thing is cool for the inside display and written historical stories, but when we were there, it was a scam as far as seeing the actual monument. They kept it hidden and molested you for donations to finish. 
    That's interesting because there was only a very modest entry fee when we were last there. We got to meet Korczak Ziolkowski and Pat took a picture of us! He was a "working man"covered with dust and dirt in his large beard! We enjoyed the museum and all the smaller scale art he had made. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
     The Crazy horse  thing is cool for the inside display and written historical stories, but when we were there, it was a scam as far as seeing the actual monument. They kept it hidden and molested you for donations to finish. 
    That's interesting because their was only a very modest entry fee when we were last there. We got to meet Korczak Ziolkowski and Pat took a picture of us! He was a "working man"covered with dust and dirt in his large beard! We enjoyed the museum and all the smaller scale art he had made. 
    Well it’s been some years 10 or so maybe. Hey charged us like 25 to get in and park and like I said you couldn’t see anything of the actual work. I found the museum interesting but felt totally fleeced over the whole experience. Bait and switch type deal imo. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Deadwood. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's interesting because their was only a very modest entry fee when we were last there. We got to meet Korczak Ziolkowski and Pat took a picture of us! He was a "working man"covered with dust and dirt in his large beard! We enjoyed the museum and all the smaller scale art he had made. 
    Well it’s been some years 10 or so maybe. Hey charged us like 25 to get in and park and like I said you couldn’t see anything of the actual work. I found the museum interesting but felt totally fleeced over the whole experience. Bait and switch type deal imo. 
    Well doing the math - our last time there was the summer before he died so that had to have been 37 years! =)=)=) 

BTW - that picture of the bloody Mary looked nice - was that a pickled asparagus spear in the center? 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Well doing the math - our last time there was the summer before he died so that had to have been 37 years! =)=)=) 

BTW - that picture of the bloody Mary looked nice - was that a pickled asparagus spear in the center? 
    😂 a few years ago hey?

yes pickled asparagus. Delicious. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Minute Man NPS. Has both the control room and the missile site. 

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    If you are leaving DIA via car to SD, you can stop by Scottsbluff National Monument in Gering, NE it is on the Old Oregon Trail/Mormon Trail.  Wagon ruts are still here.  Also on the Old Pony Express route.    Carhenge in Alliance NE is on the way as well.   Deadwood SD (previously mentioned) as well as Spearfish Canyon.  On the way to Yellowstone, south of Gillette, WY are some HUGE coal mines.  I don’t know if you can tour.  Google coal mine tours in Powder River WY.    Cody WY (45 minutes from east entrance) has nightly rodeos. Great fun.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• erniemcclain
    Options
    As for the missile sites, there are LOTS in SE Wyoming, Southern NE Panhandle, north central CO.  These are active silos. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    As for the missile sites, there are LOTS in SE Wyoming, Southern NE Panhandle, north central CO.  These are active silos. 

Just don't jump the fence, to walk around!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

😂 a few years ago hey?

yes pickled asparagus. Delicious. 
    Well, my friend...37-47-27 what the hell are those tiny numbers between friends! 

I got got hooked on pickled aspargus at the red door restaurant up there off Peru on I-80 years ago when I would have to drive to our home office in Chicago at least once a month and sometimes twice.

More about the pickled asparagus...for several years I could buy it locally - then that fancy-*ss store closed in Peoria. And then driven by the "need to fill" I bought a 12 bottle case on Amazon.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Is that highway 1, 80 years ago, Ron?  (how old are you?)   B)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Dmb3739
    Dmb3739 Posts: 62
    Options
    Wife and I rode bikes out to Sturgis for the 75th Anniversary a few years back.  My favorite places were Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Deadwood, and we drove out to Devil's Tower.  If you head back toward the Badlands, check out Wall Drug.  Nothing spectacular but you'll know when you start getting close.  There are signs for miles and miles reminding you,
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wind cave and the Bandlands. Badlands continue to erode and produce fossils.
    I enjoyed the area immensely when we backpacked there.
    Google "Badlands National Park"
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Wall Drug

What more could you ask for?
    Free water.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Buffalo and prairie dogs in Custer are entertaining. Buffalo are out around dusk and dawn. Lots of natural beauty everywhere. 
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    Many years ago I read a book by John McPhee told through the life of an area geologist - Rising From The Plains - about the Tetons and the geology of Wyoming.  It influenced me to take a trip on my motorcycle (BMW R100G/S Paris Dakar) through that area.  Really an awe inspiring trip once you ignore the commercial tourist aspects and relate to the geography/geology.  The books still available and would be a good reference for what you're seeing.  Also if you get to Cody, the Buffalo Bill Museum is a must.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    plum creek kennels south dakota,  pick out a new pup ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Buffalo and prairie dogs in Custer are entertaining. Buffalo are out around dusk and dawn. Lots of natural beauty everywhere. 
    custer must have seen the indians coming for three days, thats my only thought when driving by that area
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    if you fly fish, the madison just outside of yellowstone a few miles below the 3 dolllar bridge. nothing like it
    fukahwee maine

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, we've got some extra locations to look at.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Having done the roadtrip about a year ago, I agree with what @pgprescott and @Botch both said.  We did hit Crazyhorse, but knowing what know now, I would say skip it. I was less than impressed with what I saw and, as stated, felt like they wanted more and more money to get closer.

Mount Rushmore 1-1.5 before dark and be there for the lighting ceremony as stated.  Skip the seats - take your tripod and stay at the top landing, but get to the front. Set up early so you can shoot down to the stage and up to the mountain.  Trust me. 

Devils tower at daybreak- unless foggy - then be there In the evening. (Like you can plan that!!)

Badlands is also a photographer’s dream. 

I remember you you and your wife’s work - can not wait to see what pictures you take. I know I will not be disappointed. 

Oh oh and wall drug - making millions.  They got us for about $12 for two ice cream cones. We did get free water though....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    It doesn’t sound like you’ll be driving the right direction, towards Wall Drug.  But, if you get the chance, try to keep count of how many signs you see for it.  We lost count around 90

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE