Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - A bit of Americana died today - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,473
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2018/10/12/genovation-gxe-orig-gr.cnn

An electric Corvette.  $750,000.00
This isn't a Chevy item, but a mod by a 3rd party.  What's interesting is they left the trannie in, and at least this reviewer loved it (you can shift into 3rd and drive the full range, without shifting, if you wish).
I've always enjoyed shifting (except the 20-minute crawl to get into the gate at work in the a.m.) but now having owned my first automatic in my life, I think I can live without shifting (and I'll admit the Audi's "Launch Control" gets me 0 - 60 faster than I ever could, using tiptronic).  
Have to admit I didn't look at electric nor hybrid cars when I bought recently, and living in a valley where the winter inversion has a big effect on my breathing/health, I probably should have (and, of course, Audi introduced an electric SUV 2 weeks after my dino-burner purchase).  

Babbling aside, an electric 'vette just don't.... seem right.   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just ain’t right.....just ain’t right.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Enough family vehicles have a slush box so I enjoy my 3 pedal, stick (6 speed) transmission car every day.  When the manual tranny kicks my A$$ I will move on, or so I have been told, but not without quite a fight.
    Now about automobile power plants- I am a neanderthal and will drive that stick transmission V-8 power plant until I am totally incapable.  There is something about just firing up the engine that has a calming impact.  Maybe it's the anticipation of unleashing the power under the hood and getting away with it-outside residential areas.
    Always told my kids (now 27 and 31) "I know you are going to speed (poor example here) but don't run stop signs or red lights."  Beyond that if you keep yourself focused you are good to go.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'd take an electric manual transmission Corvette long before I'd take an automatic V8. I'm not a fan of electric either. I just feel that strong about owning that type of car with an automatic transmission. I couldn't do it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pretty sure my next car will be electric.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    I clicked on this thinking that you were paying condolences to the great American brothel operator Dennis Hof.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/brothel-owner-and-assembly-candidate-dennis-hof-dead-at/article_1b4a2af4-d174-11e8-b9cb-af65504cfb32.html
    Las Vegas, NV

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    After driving a Tesla for a week in Denver and out to Aspen, I'm all about electric cars.  Need more chargers, but other than that it was pretty damn impressive.  Too small for my needs now, otherwise I'd buy a model s or x in a heartbeat.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    After driving a Tesla for a week in Denver and out to Aspen, I'm all about electric cars.  Need more chargers, but other than that it was pretty damn impressive.  Too small for my needs now, otherwise I'd buy a model s or x in a heartbeat.
    The range is my hangup right now. Next week I'm driving to Columbus, OH for a meeting, 433 miles one way. Yes, I could fly, but 7 hour drive isn't worth flying.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    When we bought our '95 Corvette my wife was already driving a RX7 and decided she liked the automatic. So we bought this:

To this day neither of us regret that decision, other than...NOT buying a convertible!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm agnostic insofar as the technology,  pious about the performance.   fin
    Options
    I love a stick but my Audi DSG is really nice.
    NOLA
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    If you want to explore more Americana, visit Minden Nebraska. We really enjoyed it. 

http://pioneervillage.org
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I know I an odd. You folks know it, too. So be it.
    I have never had the desire to own automobiles like the Corvette. I think it is great if you own one or drive one, electric or petro, whatever.
    When I was much younger, I bought A 'vette, and a Mach. I owned both simultaneously for two years. At that time, they stayed mostly in storage, because when I got home, I favored my CJ5 over both of them.
    I sold them both, one had a little over 2600 miles, the Mustang had less.
    Never regretted selling them. Selling them made me happy and the purchasers happy as well. Have not owned one since.
    There was something that seemed more Americanna to me, being off road, in remote locations, seeing the most beautiful places our country has to offer, than cruising in cars you had to worry about bottoming out on speed bumps at the grocery store.
    Like I said previously, I am a very odd sort.
    If, or when, a reliable technology presents itself in the future, providing the opportunity to go off road via an electrical power source, other than hybrid, I may just be curious enough to try it out, much as I did with the Corvette and Mustang. No guarantees in keeping it as long though.
    You like what you like.
    Thank you for posting that story.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    If you want to explore more Americana, visit Minden Nebraska. We really enjoyed it. 

Used to take grammar school field trips here. Pretty sure it has not changed all that much other than maybe funding and the actual annual attendance. Made some of the best authentic homemade mincemeat pies.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    At least it can still be driven.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    There is something inherently addictive about shifting gears. When I was looking for a truck I found the last full size in US offered with a stick. I love the control, I want to decide what gear at what speed. I tow frequently and I want all that Cummins directly attached mechanically not with fluid coupling. Besides, a $500 clutch is way cheaper to replace than a $3000 transmission. Does suck in traffic but worth it.  I also will shift until I am not able.
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    JNDATHP said:

Used to take grammar school field trips here. Pretty sure it has not changed all that much other than maybe funding and the actual annual attendance. Made some of the best authentic homemade mincemeat pies.

Made the same school trips as a kid when we lived in the Omaha Suburbs.
    Honestly, I remember very little about the place. Need to visit again.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    with the rover i hardly even touch the gas or beak pedal any more =) i just set it for 78 on the highway and the truck compensates for the traffic conditions.  all wheel drive throws me with the cars,  sometimes you just want to punch it and spin the back tires
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    If you like history & american cars listen to the podcast Business Wars - Ford Vs. Chevy. It'll give you a lot of insight as to where things are going to head and why with both brands and cars in general
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    My father-in-law has worked for GM for 30+ years. He drives a Ford.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I always laugh when I come to work. Being in the Oil and Gas industry and seeing people parking up here in Prius' or Tesla's with "Trees are the answer" stickers on the bumper.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have never had the desire to own automobiles like the Corvette. I think it is great if you own one or drive one, electric or petro, whatever.
    When I was much younger, I bought A 'vette, and a Mach. I owned both simultaneously for two years. At that time, they stayed mostly in storage, because when I got home, I favored my CJ5 over both of them.
    Never regretted selling them. Selling them made me happy and the purchasers happy as well. Have not owned one since.
    There was something that seemed more Americanna to me, being off road, in remote locations, seeing the most beautiful places our country has to offer, than cruising in cars you had to worry about bottoming out on speed bumps at the grocery store.
    If, or when, a reliable technology presents itself in the future, providing the opportunity to go off road via an electrical power source, other than hybrid, I may just be curious enough to try it out, much as I did with the Corvette and Mustang. No guarantees in keeping it as long though.
    You like what you like.

This is a great point Ron, I'm with you. In the next year or so I am going to be getting a new car and like I do with everything I am already researching what I want next. Every time I watch Top Gear I want to go out and buy a Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 or a GT Mustang, then reality comes crashing back and I realize I have a wife and 2 kids. So that's out. Then I think I want a new Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited, then I realize I live in North Texas and a hill here is 6ft tall. So I have settled on either another 4Runner or a Grand Cherokee. Comfort, with the ability to visit those places you talk about if I want to.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You like what you like.

This is a great point Ron, I'm with you. In the next year or so I am going to be getting a new car and like I do with everything I am already researching what I want next. Every time I watch Top Gear I want to go out and buy a Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 or a GT Mustang, then reality comes crashing back and I realize I have a wife and 2 kids. So that's out. Then I think I want a new Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited, then I realize I live in North Texas and a hill here is 6ft tall. So I have settled on either another 4Runner or a Grand Cherokee. Comfort, with the ability to visit those places you talk about if I want to.
    kill two birds...Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Unless you're specifically wanting a Wrangler, Toyota vs Jeep (the brand) should be a no brainer. 

Challengers and Chargers are some of the worst vehicles I've ever had the "pleasure" of driving. Cinder blocks on wheels with cheap interiors and poor driver visibility. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

kill two birds...Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
    I don't have @RRP or @YukonRon money

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Unless you're specifically wanting a Wrangler, Toyota vs Jeep (the brand) should be a no brainer. 

Challengers and Chargers are some of the worst vehicles I've ever had the "pleasure" of driving. Cinder blocks on wheels. 

I like the idea of the "fun" of the wrangler with the ability to remove the top and doors and all but then I think of how much of a PITA it is because my brother has owned 4 of them over the years. My Current 4Runner is amazing. 235,000 miles and still drives like new. But the newer ones have disappointed me because they haven't made any improvements safety or technology wise since my 2005 and they have barely made any cosmetic changes. The engine is also the same which has proven to be a workhorse but its falling behind newer technology. The Grand Cherokees have 8 speed transmissions and all kinds of new features. Jeep is making it harder and harder for me to stay with Toyota, now of course if the new 4runners ever do actually come out and they don't look like a bulldog like the current version I may have a much harder decision.

• SonVolt
    Options
    I think some of that "older tech" is the reason Toyotas are so reliable. I'd love to have a Wrangler as a play vehicle - had one in college. Couldn't drive one as my primary though for everything you said. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I always laugh when I come to work. Being in the Oil and Gas industry and seeing people parking up here in Prius' or Tesla's with "Trees are the answer" stickers on the bumper.
    Yep--no nuke, hydro, or wind powerplants around St. Louis.  They're burning carbon for that electricity.  Those folks don't know what to say when you remind them that electricity doesn't grow on trees.

I just like all the power, space, and lack moving parts.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options

I just like all the power, space, and lack moving parts.  
    That's basically why my last 3 new cars have been turbocharged diesels! My present one runs like a stripped-*ss monkey! er...no offense meant for any stripped-*ss monkeys on this forum... =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    An electric Corvette.  That makes sense because when driving a Corvette, you want cut back on fuel consumption.  It's only natural.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    edited October 2018
    Options
    RiverBBQ said:
    When I was looking for a truck I found the last full size in US offered with a stick. 
    Wow, I had no idea the truck world was abandoning manual, also!   :o  
    I bought a "used" manual 2008 Tacoma, in 2008, with 1,700 miles on it (couple got married and both had the same truck, one got sold).  Ten years later I only have 55K miles on it, it will outlast me.  The dealership even sent me a letter last summer, offering to buy it back for only $4,000 less than I had paid for it!  Not the best mileage for a small truck and it bounces oddly over bumps, but I can live with it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.