Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Ring cam

i just purchased a ring cam.  does anybody know how many devices you can connect to a signal camera?

Comments

• I believe you can connect as many as you want.  Just add "shared users" and those devices will have access to the camera.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • i will try that, thanks.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2018
    Just bought one as well.  Now to install... :s

Edit - just looked and mine is a Nest Hello.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2018
    Just send an email to the other device- I bought 2 RING and IMO it is a POS based upon the 30 second record time IF the device is not answered , it does not record during constant movement, SO you can trip the sensor and if the device is not answered feel free to commit your crime after the 30 second mark....and all their devices have this downfall

Movement has to stop for a while then it resets

My house @ 1130 Saturday https://ring.com/share/6603933197423274916

Notice how he backs up and stands there - he does this thing it won't record anymore---neighbors chased him away a few minutes later trying to break into my car and the Protein I was Smoking in the trailer 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    lkapigian said:
    Just send an email to the other device- I bought 2 RING and IMO it is a POS based upon the 30 second record time IF the device is not answered , it does not record during constant movement, SO you can trip the sensor and if the device is not answered feel free to commit your crime after the 30 second mark....and all their devices have this downfall

Notice how he backs up and stands there then does his thing knowing it wont record anymore---neighbors chased him away a few minutes later trying to break into my car and the Protein I was Smoking in the trailer 

Thanks for the heads up on this. 

• we have 2 people on ours and no issues I think you could add up to 5 if I remember right.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lkapigian said:

Notice how he backs up and stands there - he does this thing it won't record anymore---neighbors chased him away a few minutes later trying to break into my car and the Protein I was Smoking in the trailer 

Every time ours is triggered by motion, it records a minimum of a minute.  It also seems to start another recording fairly quickly if there's still motion at the end - I have a lot of videos that are a minute apart.  I have answered ring recordings that are almost 2 minutes.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited September 2018
    I have nine ring cameras and I dont have any issues.  The battery versions are a little slower on the pickup, but the wired ones are always recording 24/7 and they upload a minute of video when motion is detected.  The doorbells are not the same as the wired security cameras.  They are often touted as a security cam and that is true for the 10 feet in front of the camera, thats about it.  I built a DIY mesh network in my house with 4 access points that give me solid connectivity for every camera.  I share it with 4 other members in my family without issue to answer the question from the OP.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2018
    lkapigian said:

Every time ours is triggered by motion, it records a minimum of a minute.  It also seems to start another recording fairly quickly if there's still motion at the end - I have a lot of videos that are a minute apart.  I have answered ring recordings that are almost 2 minutes.
    They will record up to 10 minutes if answered but 30 seconds in answered ..the older RING was 20 seconds, I know of no RING that has 1 minute unanswered , but there may be , bottom line, 30 seconds, 1 minute it will not keep recording unanswered constant motion 

I contacted tech support to see if they had anything that would go past the 30 seconds and was told they were working on an upgrade but at the moment no....woukd like to know what you have that records longer so I can look into swapping it out if it does and @cookingdude555 is correct 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

They will record up to 10 minutes if answered but 30 seconds in answered ..the older RING was 20 seconds, I know of no RING that has 1 minute unanswered , but there may be , bottom line, 30 seconds, 1 minute it will not keep recording unanswered constant motion 

I contacted tech support to see if they had anything that would go past the 30 seconds and was told they were working on an upgrade but at the moment no....woukd like to know what you have that records longer so I can look into swapping it out if it does 
    All of my wired spotlight and floodlight cams record 1 minute.  Anything supported by a battery or battery backup (the doorbell using doorbell voltage to charge battery) is 30 seconds.
  • cookingdude555
    edited September 2018
    no prob @lkapigian.  Here is a sample from a driveway floodlight cam that records all motion in its view.  It records a video about every 3 minutes of someone walking or driving by:

https://ring.com/share/6605276697545435160

• I have ring doorbell pro, wired.  Installed 5 days ago. The jury is still out but I think I like it . Great picture quality. I also have a spotlight cam solar that I  going to install. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    no prob @lkapigian.  Here is a sample from a driveway floodlight cam that records all motion in its view.  It records a video about every 3 minutes of someone walking or driving by:

So you get a notification every three minutes? 
  • cookingdude555
    edited September 2018

So you get a notification every three minutes? 
    thats if you choose to have one, I dont receive notifications on that camera.  I only choose to receive notifications if the doorbell is rang.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I’ve had Ring battery spotlight cams since earlier this year and won’t be adding to this system.  The 30 second recording that starts late and doesn’t record again for a few minutes is the deal breaker for me.  Probably going to look for a better wired system in the future and wish I would have just put my money towards something better from the get go.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited September 2018
    IMHO cloud based solutions are inferior to in-house, local LAN, solutions. We have many IP cameras pointing to a local computer running Blue Iris. 

We also have HomeSeer, a home automation program. When BI (Blue Iris) detects motion due to pixilation changes, we get notifications on our phones and a pre-30 (configurable) second video clip. It is not dependent on the cloud. Pre-30 means when the camera trips on motion the previous 30 seconds are also displayed. 

BI is about $60 and you don’t need HomeSeer for phone alerts. We use HomeSeer to enhance event triggers based on BI motion. 

This is just one of our HomeSeer events triggered from BI:

We kinda take security important. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Very interesting. Tell me how homeseer and blue iris function without the dependency on the cloud. Do the notifications and clips come directly from your computer since they don’t rely on any external services in the cloud?
  • JNDATHP
    Very interesting. Tell me how homeseer and blue iris function without the dependency on the cloud. Do the notifications and clips come directly from your computer since they don’t rely on any external services in the cloud?
    The only requirement to get notifications is to have an Internet connection. Absolutely no cloud requirements, meaning no one else has our data nor are we dependent on the cloud server to push the data. 

And, yes, notifications come from our computer. So, if there is no internet connection from our home, we won’t get a notification but we will have the video clips on our computer to review locally. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Very cool. Thanks for the explanation. I will check into this. 
  • JNDATHP
    edited September 2018
    Our setup, with HomeSeer ($300) and BI ($60) is NOT a download the app and get connected solution. It takes some effort to achieve what we have but the results are WELL worth it. 

Our cameras record as we dictate and HS3 (HomeSeer) takes care of our home automation: lights come on, doors unlock, water turns off if a leak is detected, alarm is armed/disarmed, etc.

Ring is a good solution for those who don’t care about cloud services (Amazon bought Ring and it is in their AWS cloud). 

We just do not want to be dependent on cloud services. Our only cloud dependent service is Alexa to tell our house to do things. If the cloud is not available we can still automate our home, we just don’t have vocal commands available. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @JNDATHP So what about someone breaking into your domicile and, if they aren't complete idiots (professional thieves), stealing or destroying the hard drive that stores the video of them breaking in?

IMO you should have both.
  • I think the bit about relying on the cloud is a little overstated.  I hardly believe that someone that creates their own system can reliably match the might of a company like amazon.  For me, $120/yr is well earned, and I enjoy their monitoring service for the alarm system as well (free add on, if you will).  I don't mind that hours of videos pointed at all vulnerable spots of my house are being uploaded.  As an IT manager, we deal with trying to home brew solutions that are often just better suited for a cloud vendor.  We sometimes don't have the expertise, and certainly not the redundancy to compete with the up-time delivered by many cloud vendors.  It is comical how some legacy type staff seem to believe their security and redundancy efforts are better than companies like Microsoft (Azure) and Amazon (AWS) offer.  These companies are not screwing around, they are investing their future in the home automation market.

@jndathp, it sounds like you have a nice system.  I am not so sure a setup like this is as hardened and secure as some might believe compared to company such as Ring or its leading competitors.  Your efforts to avoid a cloud solution could lead you into a more vulnerable state.  We have opposing positions, but I respect yours, thank you for sharing it.

I did experience an outage on Halloween last year, however.  That many doorbell rings at the same time around the country brought it all down.  Its not perfect.
  • all set up and connected.  my android phone doesn't work all that well.  tried uninstalling then re-install to see if that would work.  nope.  but, my wifes iphone works perfectly.