Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs not smokey enough

Options
This last Sunday, I did 3 racks of St. Louis cut spares using a local KC area cherry rub. Fired up the last of some Rockwood I had used and then added about half the fire basket with Royal Oak on top.  Cherry chunks mixed in throughout all the charcoal for smoke.  Fired it up and let it run at 350F for about 100 min's.

They were really moist, and juicy, hardly any bark, great color. and the gang went through them during the game in no time, but my left overs hardly have any smoke smell or taste...

Any insights as to why?  Is Rockwood really THAT clean burning?  I've had other Rockwood/cherry wood cooks that were perfectly smokey.  Is it the turbo factor?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    What is to smokey for some is just right for another , like spicy foods- Was your ribs smokey enough for you, not doing "Turbo"? Maybe you palette is more towards Smoked as in a Stick Burner
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Anything over 300 will be hard to get “Smokey” the smoking wood likely combusts to fully to achieve your desired results. Also, I like to really choke the damper on top down at the beginning of any cook I am trying to impart smoke. Keeps the smoke trapped with the protein. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Interesting insight @pgprescott ... do you have a controller you use?  I've been contemplating getting a FlameBoss (if I can figure out the latest version...) and wondering if that might also help keep the temp up AND the smoke w/ the choked off damper...
  • pgprescott
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Interesting insight @pgprescott ... do you have a controller you use?  I've been contemplating getting a FlameBoss (if I can figure out the latest version...) and wondering if that might also help keep the temp up AND the smoke w/ the choked off damper...
    I rarely use a controller. I have a couple at my disposal and I’m not anti-controller. I don’t completely choke the vent, but darn nearly do.
    I just catch the top and shoot for 250/275 personally. 

FlameBoss is a quality bunch of folks and would recommend doing business with them. The controller is most useful for over night LS cooks or when you have multiple things going on and don’t want to babysit. That said, I know plenty of Eggers that use them for nearly every cook. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I run my Flameboss on 225 on the gravity feed with lots of wood chunks for ribs!  Can’t get that smoke profile on my BGE!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The thing with smoke and the green egg is when you cooking at a low temp the smoke is still kinda dirty & when you smoking at a higher temp say 330-350 you are getting much cleaner smoke.  I bet this is the difference you noticed.  As for the bark, how much rub did you use and did you use a water pan?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I though I read somewhere on here that the smoke doesn't set or take as well with temps up over 300. But I read so much on here that it all gets jumbled up after a while.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• vb4677
    Options
    I though I read somewhere on here that the smoke doesn't set or take as well with temps up over 300. But I read so much on here that it all gets jumbled up after a while.

I think you're close to the answer - I think it's the heat thing... so next time I'll try a longer, slow & low to compare.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    The thing with smoke and the green egg is when you cooking at a low temp the smoke is still kinda dirty & when you smoking at a higher temp say 330-350 you are getting much cleaner smoke.  I bet this is the difference you noticed.  As for the bark, how much rub did you use and did you use a water pan?
    I have to agree with @Mattman3969.  At 225, the BGE smoke is somewhat dirty. My gravity feed firebox is running at 650 degrees, so the wood smoke actually goes up thru the charcoal fire and into the cabinet, where it's 225-250. Very clean (light blue) smoke, which makes for some great smoke flavors.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Biggest thing is the cherry  you used. Fruit woods and pecan are just not as heavy as say oak and mesquite. Cherry is great for poultry which takes smoke very easily, just not as much on pork.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• vb4677
    Options
    gamason said:
    Biggest thing is the cherry  you used. Fruit woods and pecan are just not as heavy as say oak and mesquite. Cherry is great for poultry which takes smoke very easily, just not as much on pork.
    I just had  a 'duh' moment.  You are so correct.  I used cherry to compliment the cherry rub...  Oh well, at least I'll get to cook again and then eat and do all that over again, too!

• pgprescott
    Options
    I would personally not use either oak or mesquite on pork. Far too aggressive for me. I love oak on beef, but reserve it for those cooks only. Hickory is similar profile as pecan, but more aggressive. I would mix hickory with apple and cherry. 80% hickory. I also stabilize the fire and then add both chunks and chips liberally if I want an aggressive smoke. I add the protein immediately and get a heavy smoke on the front end of the cook. 

That said, there are definitely regional and personal preferences at play. It’s most import for you to cook and eat what you like. 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I have a Camp Chef smoke vault, gas smoker and when I cook ribs I always use that one. They come out great every time. I like good smoke in my ribs and the BGE doesn’t do it for me. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • vb4677
    Options
    @Skrullb

Are you doing L&S around 225F in your Camp Chef smoke vault gasser? Assuming that takes 5-6 hrs for spares...

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    @Skrullb

Are you doing L&S around 225F in your Camp Chef smoke vault gasser? Assuming that takes 5-6 hrs for spares...

I normally shoot for 250-275, nice fresh cherry wood and 4.5-5 hours or so. I do the wrap thing, with honey/butter/Brown sugar, ala Malcom Reed. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • vb4677
    Options
    Gotchya...

Thanks!