Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help

Options
How high can I safely go on a 7 lb flat?   I've been at 150 for 2.5 hrs.   Held off wrapping due to lack of bark and now time isn't on my side.   Think I'm done with trying brisket after this one.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Wrap it and bump to 300
    Jacksonville FL
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Even with pretty crappy bark?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Dobie
    Options
    How long do you have?
    Jacksonville FL
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    2-3 hrs  :|

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Dobie
    Options
    I’d wrap, get it done in a couple hours and rest for a bit. You can go a bit hotter and not wrap and see if any bark develops but sounds like your S&P wasn’t enough to set up. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    That's what I was wondering.   Watched Franklin's application and felt mine was pretty close...but evidently not

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Flats are tough.  Agree with the advice to wrap and hope for moist meat, but less bark.  Shoot for the perfect bark next time.

And FWIW, the bark is usually not in great shape until you are on the far side of the stall - meat temp of about 170 or so.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    How high can I safely go on a 7 lb flat?   I've been at 150 for 2.5 hrs.   Held off wrapping due to lack of bark and now time isn't on my side.   Think I'm done with trying brisket after this one.
    In pursuit of the next brisket, get your hands on a packer if you can.  Provides a much easier path to success than a stand-alone flat.   Always remember, "the friggin cow drives the cook" regardless of the cut.  Every cook is different.  You should give it another go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Yeah Packers are very hard to find in Memphis.   It actually turned out not bad.   Not the greatest, however much better than where I thought I'd end up.   Had I not had to rush it would have been better I'm sure.   But overall...I am good.   Thanks all for the advice.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Glad it turned out well.  Great smoke ring as well.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Dude. That looks awesome. The juices on the board tell the story. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX