Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Beginner here looking for some sage advice

Options
2»

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    Do some boneless chicken thighs.  Easy peasy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Chicken is easy and cheap if you screw it up.  Wings/thighs/spatchcock would all be good choices for first cook. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    pulled pork can not be messed up easily ND THERE ARE PLENTY OF PORK IDEAS ON THEI SITE.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Not sure this answers any of your questions but sage advice nonetheless......

It has been 17 minutes since I read this post and I am still laughing ..... Usually that's a Friday night- several a Miller lites - occurrence.
    it would be my honor and priveldge to meet your grandpa.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Welcome to the tastiest journey ever.. I have to say all great comments here and can't add much other than you can spend a lot on all sorts of gadgets  but several on here told me cook for a while and see what you need. Accessories can and  do get expensive... Above all else ENJOY..
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One word of advice for your maiden cook. Do a little research into burning off the VOC’s. It takes a while to burn these off and have “good smelling” smoke. I usually let new charcoal go for 30-45 minutes (after lighting) before putting food on. After a few cooks you will easily be able to smell when the chemical smell is gone. 

If you dont don’t burn these off your food will taste like lighter fluid. 

Best of luck and welcome- ask any questions that come up. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Love Rockwood coal. Really clean burning with few micro pieces and dust.See if you can buy it from an an Ace Hardware online and have it shipped to your apartment. They’ve got the best prices I’ve seen on it.
    Royal Oaks your next best bet especially if you get a grill torch to light it. I just got the JJ George Grill Torch for $37 on amazon for lighting and use a MAPPS gas tank on it and there’s no going back to cubes and electric starters for me.

These gloves are super for pulling out the woo, plate setter, flipping steaks at 700° without burning your hands. Mine are still going strong after 2 years of solid use.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MR3BPFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kP6OBbK15GPFA

I second a Smokeware cap and one of their solid steel 
    snuffers that goes inside it to really stop that fire fast after cooking.

• slick_rick
    Options
    Powak said:
    Love Rockwood coal. Really clean burning with few micro pieces and dust.See if you can buy it from an an Ace Hardware online and have it shipped to your apartment. They’ve got the best prices I’ve seen on it.
    Royal Oaks your next best bet especially if you get a grill torch to light it. I just got the JJ George Grill Torch for $37 on amazon for lighting and use a MAPPS gas tank on it and there’s no going back to cubes and electric starters for me.

These gloves are super for pulling out the woo, plate setter, flipping steaks at 700° without burning your hands. Mine are still going strong after 2 years of solid use.

Those gloves look perfect. Thanks!
    MED - Manhattan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The least expensive experience of owning The Big Green Egg is the initial purchase.
    Be prepared to spend, and spend big.
    Welcome to wallet genocide, and it is worth it.
    Have fun....take your time figure out what you need...

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Save some $ for those amazing local butcher shops. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Powak said:

Those gloves look perfect. Thanks!
    They clean good as new in the washer too.
  • slick_rick
    Options
    So finally was able to break in the egg this weekend. Did some wings, chicken thighs, and a couple burgers. They all came out pretty solid. Wings were very crispy.

I immediately understand why everyone likes raised cooking. There were a few wings that were super charred. 

One question I had was when cooking something like burgers where its quick and you are opening up the egg to flip. How quickly does it usually get back to the temp it was before you opened to flip. Any tricks for keeping it steady? I was shutting the egg and then moving the daisy wheel all around in order to get it back to the temp I was looking for. 

Thanks again for all the help on here!

MED - Manhattan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    So finally was able to break in the egg this weekend. Did some wings, chicken thighs, and a couple burgers. They all came out pretty solid. Wings were very crispy.

I immediately understand why everyone likes raised cooking. There were a few wings that were super charred. 

One question I had was when cooking something like burgers where its quick and you are opening up the egg to flip. How quickly does it usually get back to the temp it was before you opened to flip. Any tricks for keeping it steady? I was shutting the egg and then moving the daisy wheel all around in order to get it back to the temp I was looking for. 

Thanks again for all the help on here!

Glad to hear you've been enjoying the process. I only use the the daisy wheel when going low and slow. Anything over 325 I go nekked up top and control with the lower vent only. I don't notice too slow of a recovery time. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Welcome, you got all your questions answered by now and I'd just like to add that if you get your egg frozen shut, just shove the rolled up paper towel soaked in veg.oil in the bottom vent and light it, the heat will defrost it nicely.
    It helps to stick it in an empty toilet paper roll first.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    There’s a lot of good info already,so my sage advice is it’s good with poultry.
    I was gonna say, a little sage goes a long way... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Cook to temp, cook to temp, cook to temp.
    Drink beer and have fun, great for baked potatoes to avoid heating up the kitchen.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I don't like sage.  I prefer thyme and rosemary.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Not sure this answers any of your questions but sage advice nonetheless......

Now that’s funny.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it and participate often.

As you have found out by reading this thread there are many ways to do anything with the Egg and thus many different answers. Some of the guys here are willing to fight it out tooth and nail over their choices or way of doing it. Then just as willing afterward to sit around together drinking bourbon slushes (search for it) while smoking a brisket or something else.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group