Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket...Once again I'm seeking advice from the experts

Options
Planning my first attempt for a friends and family event.  Ordered a Wagyu brisket which is due this week.
Would love to hear for favorite recipes and methods.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Try doing a forum search. There are volumes on the subject. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Aaron Franklin.   
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Salt Pepper Patience - Throw the clock and thermometer away...Plan your initial finish about 4 hours before you want to serve, that is a bit of a sweet spot,can go 6 can go 2----My 2 Cents 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    250-275 on the dome is where I've had my best luck.  You might want to do a practice run if you've never done one before and check out Franklin's brisket videos.  And like @lkapigian said
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    First one? Wow, you're brave.

Best of luck.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Realize it will take 5-7 days to thaw once you receive it, plan your gathering accordingly.

Best of luck.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Kychipster
    Options
    I cooked a 10 lb brisket yesterday at 265. Cooked for 7 hours and wrapped after good bark. Had a hard time checking meat temp after I wrapped in butcher paper. Could not tell if I was taking temp in correct place to check temp. Took off after 9 hours and let it rest wrapped in cooler. Meat was tough and paper was greasy as heck. Wonder I’d I could have over cooked. Have only done flats before and was happy. Do they get tough when overcooked. Any tips? Thanks.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I cooked a 10 lb brisket yesterday at 265. Cooked for 7 hours and wrapped after good bark. Had a hard time checking meat temp after I wrapped in butcher paper. Could not tell if I was taking temp in correct place to check temp. Took off after 9 hours and let it rest wrapped in cooler. Meat was tough and paper was greasy as heck. Wonder I’d I could have over cooked. Have only done flats before and was happy. Do they get tough when overcooked. Any tips? Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum!  As far as gauging doneness goes - I would advise that you probe the brisket as opposed to taking its temp. You should find that it probes “like buttah” in the thickest part of the flat - briskets can finish in a large temp range (e.g. 190-210)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NYcanuck
    Options
    I just posted a video from my first brisket on the egg.  The comments ^^^ are on the money.  I did my 14 lb brisket at 225F and it took about 13 1/2 hours - no crutch.  

There are some great youtube videos on prep and process.  Aaron Franklin has a good one for trimming as well as a good comparison between foil wrapped, paper wrapped and unwrapped results.  I think we get a little different results on the BGE due to better radiant heat.

The unwrapped brisket I did was near perfect for me.  No noticeable stall but it did plateau around 195ish and the toothpick test told me it was done.

It was a little early for dinner so I wrapped in paper and put in cooler for 4 hours.

With a wagyu brisket, it may test done sooner due to the high fat content, I would keep a balanced approach watching the probe temp too.  If you wrap it, watch the IT closely, I have found wagyu moves up pretty fast when crutched.

Good luck!!!
    DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Realize it will take 5-7 days to thaw once you receive it, plan your gathering accordingly.

Best of luck.
    They come frozen?  I imagine anything Wagyu is $$$, and have to wonder how much of that $ is wasted by it having been frozen before cooking.  Is it really worth the $ over a Prime one from Costco or an Angus one from Sam's?

Having just successfully done my first whole brisket, I'm by no means an expert, but I think the single most important thing I did was to save the liquids from the crutch (about 6oz worth) and the cooler rest foil (another 12oz or so), and then store the leftovers in that liquid.  If you're cooking one for an event and don't necessarily expect leftovers, that may not be relevant.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    njl said:
    RedSkip said:

Best of luck.
    They come frozen?  I imagine anything Wagyu is $$$, and have to wonder how much of that $ is wasted by it having been frozen before cooking.  Is it really worth the $ over a Prime one from Costco or an Angus one from Sam's?

Yes, they come frozen. Yes they are $$.  Yes it is worth the delta versus 
    Costco.

Ever had ' fresh' tuna?  Its flash frozen while fresh...

This ain't ya momma's sam's club brisket.  Promise.