Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stalled brisket

Options
11 lb brisket stalled out at 155 after 8 hours, went to Texas crutch and after 3 more hours with temp up to 250 it’s still damn stuck at 165. Dinner is in an hour. Should I jack the temperature up to 400-500 to get through this mess? What are the repercussions? Folks are going to eat no matter what. What is the lesser of two evils... jacking temp to 500 or pulling brisket at 165???

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Running it that hot will likely cause it to be very dry.  Make sure the thermometer is not stuck in a weird fat pocket or out of calibration. Having them eat an underdone brisket will not be fun.
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Teddeballgane
    Options
    Experiment is on, brisket is well wrapped in foil, I added some liquid to the packet and egg is up to 450 and finally the temp has climbed to 180. I’ll let every one know how it goes 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You’ll be fine running hot but make sure to let it cool way down. Before slicing. If you can’t hold it in your bare hands, it’s too hot to slice. That’s where the dry part comes in. If you wit until its like 125-130 before slicing you will be fine. If not, you are going to have a dry brisket once you crackmit open. If there is steam coming outwhen you cut it open, it’s too hot. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Teddeballgane
    Options
    It all worked out. Jacked egg up to 450-475 and 45mins later brisket hot to 185. I let it rest for another 45 mins, temp climed to 192, and then down to 140 and I sliced and served and it was awesome. In the end 190 is gospel and whatever you need to do to make that happen (pretty much) is the right thing. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats.
    However, temperature with a brisket finish-line is only a guide.  The key is the "feels like buttah" in the thickest part of the flat.  Then it's time to declare victory.  But however you get there is all that matters in the end-game.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.