Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss 300 discontinued?

I've been thinking about picking up another Flameboss for a big cook in October (going to be running 2 eggs and a drum).  I went to the flameboss website and the 300 model shows as discontinued.  Did I miss something?  I didn't think the 400 would replace the 300.  Has anyone heard anything?

Just outside Atlanta, GA
LBGE with Adjustable Rig, XLBGE with Adjustable Rig, ThermaQ, Flameboss 200 & 300. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    No
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    It’s my understanding that the 400 will be it moving forward. Also a model for BGE out soon. Not sure which model it will be. 
  • Hopefully they come out with something that supports multiple meat probes like the 300.  I don't see how they can consider the 400 an adequate replacement for the 300. 

Just outside Atlanta, GA
    LBGE with Adjustable Rig, XLBGE with Adjustable Rig, ThermaQ, Flameboss 200 & 300. 
  • The 400 was marketed as an entry level controller $100 less than the “premier” 300.  Many of us need the “bells and whistles” that the 300 provides, like the ability to use on all my cookers!
  • The 400 was marketed as an entry level controller $100 less than the “premier” 300.  Many of us need the “bells and whistles” that the 300 provides, like the ability to use on all my cookers!
    Exactly!  The 400 doesn't interest me at all.  The fan being part of the unit limits its use.  I was hoping someone here would have info that Flame Boss was coming out with a new model that had the 300 features and have the fan separate from the controller.  Some of us are forced to use BBQ Guru fans with our flame boss 200/300 to work with certain smokers. 
    Just outside Atlanta, GA
  • It’s my understanding that the 400 will be it moving forward. Also a model for BGE out soon. Not sure which model it will be. 
    Bruce told me it was supposed to be out within 2 weeks but we all know how that goes. I personally use the stoker and love it
  • CTheMann said:
    Hopefully they come out with something that supports multiple meat probes like the 300.  I don't see how they can consider the 400 an adequate replacement for the 300. 

The BGE version of the 400 called Egg Genius will ship to dealers next week and has expandability up to 4 probes. Retail is 229.95.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You must be retired.... 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I am waiting on the 500.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    YukonRon said:
    I am waiting on the 500.
    Or at least the 400S.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2018
    Got three dozen FB 400 that should be here on Thursday......will take some pics and advise.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Someone should ask @MichaelCollins what's up with their product lineup. I know nothing about FB and don't need a controller, but if I'm reading all of this correctly, they are replacing their flagship product that most rave about with a less robust model. Perhaps Michael will chime in.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2018
    I am partial to the Smobot, but did find this on the flameboss website:

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Someone should ask @MichaelCollins what's up with their product lineup. I know nothing about FB and don't need a controller, but if I'm reading all of this correctly, they are replacing their flagship product that most rave about with a less robust model. Perhaps Michael will chime in.
    Thats like taking a headphone jack, and a home button off of a phone to make it better to interface with.
  • You must be retired.... 
    Will retire on October 31st, and then start my next career as a MFG Rep!
  • We created a simpler controller, model 400 to help us get to a lower entry-level price. Many backyard BBQ cooks told us that they didn't want to spend $349. It wasn't our intention to replace model 300 with 400 but model 400 is the only controller in production now. Model 500 launch is later than we expected but it will be introduced soon. It is the next evolutionary step of the controllers that we are known for producing. I expect it to have a retail price of $349.

We are also producing a co-branded controller for Big Green Egg, Egg Genious. Look for it on the shelf at your BGE dealer soon.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    We created a simpler controller, model 400 to help us get to a lower entry-level price. Many backyard BBQ cooks told us that they didn't want to spend $349. It wasn't our intention to replace model 300 with 400 but model 400 is the only controller in production now. Model 500 launch is later than we expected but it will be introduced soon. It is the next evolutionary step of the controllers that we are known for producing. I expect it to have a retail price of $349.

We are also producing a co-branded controller for Big Green Egg, Egg Genious. Look for it on the shelf at your BGE dealer soon.
    Thanks for the update! 
    New Orleans LA
  • They have arrived!
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    They have arrived!
    Hey @stlcharcoal I happened to see a boxed FB 400/Egg Genius in my local BGE dealer's shelf.  Any advise, observations or feedback on this new approach vs the 300's ?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Flame Boss 400 has single meat and pit probe capability.  EGG Genius has single pit and up to three meat probe capabilities using Y connections. 

Flame Boss 400 fits a variety of grills, including EGG.  EGG has one less adapter plate, so not sure what grills it won't fit. 

Both run on Flame Boss' apps, 

Flame Boss 400 is $219.  Egg Genius is $229.

We have both available and ship free. You'll need to call us for EGG, their rules. 

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The FB300 is going for crazy prices on e-bay, when you can find them. Used ones are going for almost new price. My buddy saw mine, and told me he wants a 300.  I got him one on Amazon, and they showed 3 left at $329.00 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited October 2018
    The FB300 is going for crazy prices on e-bay, when you can find them. Used ones are going for almost new price. My buddy saw mine, and told me he wants a 300.  I got him one on Amazon, and they showed 3 left at $329.00 
    And all those buyers are going to be kicking themselves when the 500 comes out.  No need for y-adapters on that one and it should be less than 300.  Btw, are people actually getting those prices on ebay or is that what they're listed for?  I had to  dump our last few 300 universals for under $300 when the 400 came out..  Been selling the hell out of the 400s.

vb4677 said:
    They have arrived!
    Hey @stlcharcoal I happened to see a boxed FB 400/Egg Genius in my local BGE dealer's shelf.  Any advise, observations or feedback on this new approach vs the 300's ?

Tom pretty much hit in everything in his post.  Unless you really want to be able to control without using the app, there is no real reason to spend the extra money on the 300.  If you need multiple meats, wait for the 500   I'm still using a 200, so my meat probe just goes in the smallest cut, then I move it to the next when that one is done.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Will there be an equivalent Egg Genius to the 500. do you know?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • stlcharcoal
    vb4677 said:
    Will there be an equivalent Egg Genius to the 500. do you know?

Not that I know of......Egg Genius is supposed to be the middle of the road between the 400 & 500.  Those y-adapters were a PIA to explain & use, so I'm pretty excited about the 500 having the multiple meat ports.
  • It just bothers me to have everything in one unit, as some of my cookers generate a lot of heat near the fan.  Replacing a fan is cheap.  I don’t like my “all in one” Dell computer either.  Prefer the separate tower and monitor!
  • stlcharcoal
    It just bothers me to have everything in one unit, as some of my cookers generate a lot of heat near the fan.  Replacing a fan is cheap.  I don’t like my “all in one” Dell computer either.  Prefer the separate tower and monitor!
    Warranty.  FlameBoss has always gone out of their way to make things right, even after the warranty period is over. 

Either way, the temp shouldn't be that high down there if you're using it as a controller for standard temps......its not meant to be a pizza oven controller, so it should be fine at the temps it's intended for.  Plus, having a fan it's kind of self cooling.