Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ten day dry aged Prime NY Strip steaks

Options
I’ve had these going for ten days in my fridge.  Does anyone have any input on when would be the best to pull?

I cut these from a roast that I split w my neighbor, @WhiteyQ. I had enough for four steaks.  The first two had very different outcomes. More to follow on that. 

Thanks for your input here. 

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have not actually dry aged so I am far from an expert. I am just echoing what I have read here...but I don't think it works as well to dry age steaks. You should dry age a whole primal cut or roast. 

So, if that is true...I would just cook them ASAP and see how they turn out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Is this some kind of a joke?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Personally for a steak I usually go 3-4 days. The last day with salt. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have not actually dry aged so I am far from an expert. I am just echoing what I have read here...but I don't think it works as well to dry age steaks. You should dry age a whole primal cut or roast. 

So, if that is true...I would just cook them ASAP and see how they turn out. 
    Well that resounded like a huge turd.  So much for my grand experiment.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Is this some kind of a joke?
    No.  Thanks for the thoughtful, encouraging response.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Personally for a steak I usually go 3-4 days. The last day with salt. 
    Thanks for the response...

At least we got a great deal on this....  I'll post the pic of the first steak and you'll be impressed.  It may supplant @Mickey for most epic cook yet....

Standby.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Let me start w steak #2. I did this last Sunday night.  We split these up last Friday night. 

It’s proof that i can cook a steak. 

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    And then there was the one from last Friday night.  The night we split it up. Late in the evening, I felt I couldn’t wait for Sat.  I started the Minimax and got it to a stable 250.  Maybe I should’ve just seared it until it was done.  
    Did I mention I was overserved....

this is the Saturday morning results.  

At least it was only $8 down the drain. 

You’re welcome, @Mickey

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Type your comment

only $32 each. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I’ve had these going for ten days in my fridge.  Does anyone have any input on when would be the best to pull?

I cut these from a roast that I split w my neighbor, @WhiteyQ. I had enough for four steaks.  The first two had very different outcomes. More to follow on that. 

Thanks for your input here. 

You can let them age as long as you want. I normally dryage whole primals between 60-120 days. Do you trim the bark prior to cooking? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dry age the whole primal as above.  For me, 35-45 days is our personal sweet spot.  100 days is best for carpaccio and a party.  Dividing it into 2, if it was a 10# roast as it appears, I'd dry age for 25-35 days and have at it.  Please don't trim the bark, please.  As stike has counseled and mentored on this site, that crispy, carmelized fatty crust is gold.  They will cook to temp way faster than you think.  Enjoy them brother.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga