Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lighting method needed

Options
My BGE electric hoop passed away this afternoon after 2 solid years of 4+ days a week of use. I’m trying to decided what’s the best way to go for lighting methods. Buy another hoop lighter? Maybe one of those electric gun lighters? Definitely looking for dependability and sustainability here. I’m not into buying cubes or those BGE firestarters. I’ve got a Weber chimney and a mapps torch (don’t have access to any newspaper) that I use for lighting briquettes. Any suggestions? What do you guys use?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I'm in the chimney camp and re purpose old lump 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Paper towels soaked in some canola placed in a ziplock, or any other oil, then that underneath the chimney works just fine. Relatively cheap as well. I also use the paper towels I use to clean my blackstone which are greasy as well. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    For clarification purposes remove a paper towel or two from the Ziplock prior to use. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Torch
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I've been using a product called "Stokes". It is an all natural product developed by a local teenager. It comes in packs of 12 egg-carton style starters. Rip one off and put it beneath the coals then light it. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    In 18 years I've tried this and that except for never trying the electric loop nor heat gun. Guess my go to method over the years has been cubes which have always been bought only when on sale at the "end of grilling season" LOL and then I buy as many boxes that I can find! And I do mean dozens of boxes at a time! Lately I've been running in short supply so I only use one square plus a good squirt of cheap 91% Isopropyl alcohol from Walgreens.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Do you have/use a KAB?  If so, I'd also recommend a simple paper towel stuffed into the bottom, drizzled/sprayed with oil, before replacing the KAB and then just lighting through the bottom vent.  
    I also feel this gives you a more evenly-lit fire, but I haven't (yet) proved this.  :glasses:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    When my electric loop died I went to using a Looftlighter. It works fine for me. Others will disagree.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    Recently been using a grill torch from JJ George and its great! Also use the fire starters 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I use the BGE fire starters.

If you have a propane burner on your gas grill just sit the full chimney over that.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Paper towels soaked in some canola placed in a ziplock, or any other oil, then that underneath the chimney works just fine. Relatively cheap as well. I also use the paper towels I use to clean my blackstone which are greasy as well. 
    The soaked paper towel with light the lump in your egg without needing the chimney starter.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Given that your hoop lighter gave you only two years of service, I’d suggest considering alternatives. Personally, I’m in the torch camp myself and would not go back to the alternatives that I had previously tried. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Sounds like the loop had served you well. Why not get another one? 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Harbor freight has a heat gun which frequently goes on sale for $8.99.  I love a heat gun for firestarting, but I use my 25 year old Black an Decker.  Keep hoping it will die, because the metal front on it is short, so it's easily overheated if left on the coals unattended but it refuses to die.  Beauty of a heat gun is the fan inside.  Gets the fire humming posthaste.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I used the fire cubes for many years, but for the last few it's been a MAP torch. It creeps me out a bit because of the clouds of flying embers, sometimes (I wear safety glasses!), and I burned a hole in one of my favorite shirts that way, but it's just SO quick and easy, SO fast, it's just way better.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Small weed burner torch hooked to a propane bottle makes lighting all my cookers effortless!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use a chimney filled with leftover charcoal.  I squirt a little 91% alcohol on the charcoal in the grill, then put the loaded chimney over that spot and toss in a match.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Botch said:
    Do you have/use a KAB?  If so, I'd also recommend a simple paper towel stuffed into the bottom, drizzled/sprayed with oil, before replacing the KAB and then just lighting through the bottom vent.  
    I also feel this gives you a more evenly-lit fire, but I haven't (yet) proved this.  :glasses:
    I do. But I haven’t tried that. When my hoop was working I was having issues getting even fire (part of this was because I didn’t have a KAB yet and was using RO), and some members talked about lighting from the top with the bottom vent closed. This did work good for getting the fire spread but nomatter what it always seems to become a fire that’s burning thru to the bottom of the firebox so I’m betting that method of lighting in the fire box would work good.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Read none, sorry, propane torch.  Quick light.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Powak
    edited September 2018
    Options
    When you guys use the MAPPs do you use it to light the chimney or aim it down into the egg? I’ve lit it the latter way before just waiting to lose an arm.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Powak said:
    When you guys use the MAPPs do you use it to light the chimney or aim it down into the egg? I’ve lit it the latter way before just waiting to lose an arm.
    Directly lighting the lump in the egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    I’m lazy. Rutland is so much cheaper than BGE. All I have ever used is Royal Oak.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A blackstone will produce all the free custom made oil infused paper towel lighting devices that you'll ever need.

Phoenix 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I won't disparage anyone else's methods and I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat, but oil-soaked paper towel has served me well and I don't see any reason to change.
    Stillwater, MN
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    Mapp torch the charcoal directly in the egg for 20 seconds in a few places, close lid and return at the next commercial.  Works great for me.
  • Kent8621
    Options
    I have been using the JJ George Torch for a while now and love it. its really easy to use and gets the eggs rolling quickly. as a fun part, I used it last weekend to burn some weeds down. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Harbor freight has a heat gun which frequently goes on sale for $8.99.  I love a heat gun for firestarting, but I use my 25 year old Black an Decker.  Keep hoping it will die, because the metal front on it is short, so it's easily overheated if left on the coals unattended but it refuses to die.  Beauty of a heat gun is the fan inside.  Gets the fire humming posthaste.
    Harbor Freight also has a propane trigger lighting weed torch for $29 and with one of their coupons you can get 20% to 25% off that price.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lightningQ
    Options
    i just watched a you tube video where this guy soaks small pcs of lump in a container with alcohol for about a week.  then he will take a couple pcs and stick in the fresh lump and light.  looked like a great idea but will that make any difference in taste using the alcohol or no?
  • Powak
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    I have been using the JJ George Torch for a while now and love it. its really easy to use and gets the eggs rolling quickly. as a fun part, I used it last weekend to burn some weeds down. 
    Wow the JJ George Torch looks awesome! Does it have an ignition built in or do you need to use a spark/flame source to get it lit? Also where’s the best place to order these from?
  • etherdome
    Options
    I’m lazy. Rutland is so much cheaper than BGE. All I have ever used is Royal Oak.
    thats what i use as well
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic