Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub suggestions

Options
I searched the forums looking at old post. It looks like holy cow is a clear favorite. I'm looking for a rub for chicken and pork. Honey hog and honey hog hot seems to get mixed reviews. Any other sugguetions? dizzy dust? 

Meat church 10% off coupon available. 

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Plowboys Yardbird and Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon are a couple of my favorite rubs that go well with chicken or pork.  Dizzy Dust is good too. I’ve heard The Gospel is good but I haven’t tried it yet. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Plowboys Yardbird and Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon are a couple of my favorite rubs that go well with chicken or pork.  Dizzy Dust is good too. I’ve heard The Gospel is good but I haven’t tried it yet. 
    Thanks for the suggestions do you use oakridge on both chicken ribs and pork buts. I'm trying to limit myself to 3 rubs to start with. 
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    I’m a fan of Plowboys Yardbird for chicken/pork, very versatile plus it’s cheaper than some of the others it seems. 

I liked Dizzy Dust as well but like Yardbird a little better. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    510BG said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Thanks for the suggestions do you use oakridge on both chicken ribs and pork buts. I'm trying to limit myself to 3 rubs to start with. 
    I have used it on both.  I’ve done the same with the other rubs I mentioned as well.  They’re pretty versatile rubs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Order a dizzy pig sampler.  You can get all flavors for like $20.  It’s enough in a pack for some chicken breasts etc.  then you know what you like, we keep tsunami spin, raging river, pineapple head and Jamaican firewalk in the pantry all the time because of the sampler I got years ago.
  • 510BG
    edited September 2018
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Order a dizzy pig sampler.  You can get all flavors for like $20.  It’s enough in a pack for some chicken breasts etc.  then you know what you like, we keep tsunami spin, raging river, pineapple head and Jamaican firewalk in the pantry all the time because of the sampler I got years ago.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Strong user name. How I feel when I attempt to cook anything on the egg
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nothing wrong with commercial rubs, but I like to go homemade. There are endless recipes out there, you can tweak them to your tastes and they are cheap and readily available assuming you have a good selection of spices at home. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Have you tried making Mickey’s Coffee Rub ? Just search on the site.
  • Kent8621
    Options

i enjoy lanes bbq SPF 53, and four fourty one south honeysuckle for chicken.  Butt Rub (our sams and Costco have large ones for about $8), honey hog, deez nuts (meat church), salt lick for pork. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Plowboys is good.  I also like Head Country for chicken and pork.  I'm not a fan of Honey Hog, just didn't care for it.  I also like Rasta Joes for pork and chicken as it's a bit sweeter than Plowboys and Head Country.  I just got a bottle of Gospel and like it also for chicken and pork.  Gospel has a little sweet to it as well.
    XL BGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    albukiry.com has some good runs. Their Green Chile rub is great and not sweet.
  • 510BG
    Options
    Thank so for all the suggestions. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Nothing wrong with commercial rubs, but I like to go homemade. There are endless recipes out there, you can tweak them to your tastes and they are cheap and readily available assuming you have a good selection of spices at home. 

+1. Kinda shocked at the love for stale commercial rubs here honestly. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't bought a commercial rub in years. Too easy to mix up a homebrew. Just today, I found this one. Used it with some chicken thighs this evening. Delicious!!

https://www.doyouevenpaleo.net/greek-rubbed-grilled-chicken-thighs/

The author apparently had some trouble keeping her chicken from blackening too much. I did not. 400° direct until done... wonderful! I did have to dry my own orange peel, but that's no big deal.

I deviated from the recipe slightly. I applied olive oil to chicken. Then, seasoned with this blend and cooked. Had quite a bit of rub left over too. Also, I used only a tsp of salt, not a tablespoon.

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I'm with Carolina Q here no need to buy what I can make more to my crowds liking at 10% the cost.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Strawberry’s

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm with Carolina Q here no need to buy what I can make more to my crowds liking at 10% the cost.
    Agreed , but more like 75% of the cost ..  I like cold smoking my rubs and ingredients as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    We've been using and liking Bad Byron's Butt Rub of late. 
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Oakridge for the win. Made in smaller batches and are always fresh

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Strawberry’s
    I’m a fan of strawberry’s too. That and plowboys yardbird are probably my go-to rubs for pork/chicken. 

Little Rock, AR