Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer chicken temps

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Is there a good way of monitoring beer chicken temps in the egg? I’ve gotta Smoke and that standard probe that came with it seems to work great in everything EXCEPT chickens. Top of the breast I’m reading 170 with the Smoke and 140° with my Thermapen. I think the probes picking up a lot of the heat in the egg from the area where the wire is connected to the probe itself.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I’d skip the probes and just check with the pen.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Powak
    Options
    Now I’m getting this weird phenomenon where the Smoke went off at 170, I check with the Thermapen and it’s about that, but every time i keep checking the temp with the pen, the temp starts to drop. It’s almost like the bird’s retaining heat and when I puncture it with the probe it realeases this heat and drops back down to a lower temperature. In that case how do you tell when a bird is truly done?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Grab a leg. It should feel very loose like you could pull it off. Stick you Thermapen deep in the breast, near where the tender would be. If it is 150+ pull it. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Powak
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Grab a leg. It should feel very loose like you could pull it off. Stick you Thermapen deep in the breast, near where the tender would be. If it is 150+ pull it. 
    Ok that’s exactly the type of temp I’m getting deep in the breasts