Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jucy Lucy Burgers ... or Juicy Lucy ... burger cheesy loveliness (pics)

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited August 2018 in Beef
Along with discovering new parts of Yellowstone and some excellent mac 'n' cheese on our June trip, we also encountered Ju(i)cy Lucy burgers for the first time. Very tasty indeed. We made some during the weekend, using apple smoked cheddar and mozzarella and searing in the Minimax. I used buffalo mince, but beef would work just as well. Recipe and a video in the link below:

Shaping:

The one on the left has been properly shaped, the one on the right needs shaping:

Cooking in the Minimax:

Before cutting into the burger:

Cheese melting out:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Fries look pretty good too.  Now I’m hungry...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Adam, while I'm not a big fan of the Jucy Lucy (molten lava can be painful!), yours look great! Did you bake those buns? I've never seen any that looked quite that good. And as always, those chips!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Mighty fine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Looks great!  Must be something in the air — I made some last night too!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I'd eat the heck out of one of those...
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    Great food, great photos! 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Stormbringer
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks.
    @Kdaugherty welcome to the board!
    @EagleIII I reckon you'd eat the heck out of a couple tbh. :)
    @Carolina Q to counteract the molten lava effect, I used some hard cheese and also took it straight from the fridge. Another trick is when the burger is flipped, piece the top with a cocktail stick to release hot air/steam. The buns were purchased, however burger buns are on the list of things to make. And yeah, the chips ... oh, you used the right word, well done, sir! :D:D:D

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those look perfect.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Great Shot!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Carolina Q to counteract the molten lava effect, I used some hard cheese and also took it straight from the fridge. Another trick is when the burger is flipped, piece the top with a cocktail stick to release hot air/steam. The buns were purchased, however burger buns are on the list of things to make. And yeah, the chips ... oh, you used the right word, well done, sir! :D:D:D 

hahaha, the trick I use is to put the cheese on TOP of the meat. =)

And don't get too excited about the chips thing... I only called 'em chips cuz you're a Brit and it was your post after all. I was just being polite. =) But whatever we call 'em, yours always look GREAT!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Solid! If you're ever in MN let me know and ill take you out for the original Juicy Lucy('s). I'm a Matt's Bar fan. There's been a long running debate...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Those pics look professional.  Burger looks pretty good too!

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love the JLs. Great cook
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @FrostyEgg thanks for the offer, if we're ever in MN I'll take you up on it!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Second last pic like a food magazine...Awesome post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options

That would likely solve my exploding lucy problem.  In the pantheon of problems, it's a pretty good one to have, but one I'd never experienced til last Friday night and needs cured next time.  And there will be a next time . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Damn that burger looks delicious!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Stormbringer
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Second last pic like a food magazine...Awesome post..
    @johnmitchell cheers, I am continually impressed with what the iPhone and some simple post-processing with free software can achieve. Also means I don't keep having to find where SWMBO left the "proper" camera. :)

@HendersonTRKing "pantheon of problems" ... superb, I'm going to re-use that. And good luck with the next batch. 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow my mouth is watering!!  Nice cook!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My god man, I gotta cook some Lucy's! Those look great! reverse sear?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking burgers!  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    My god man, I gotta cook some Lucy's! Those look great! reverse sear?
    @Hans61 4-5 mins each side in the MMX over medium heat. Full details in the blog post. However, I you gave me an idea ... I'm going to try sous vide and then sear. This could prevent the molten lava issue.