Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Ribs

Options
Just took two racks of ribs out of the freezer. Plan to cook tomorrow. Any thing I should know about using frozen or partially thawed ribs?
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have cooked pork butts frozen without any issues I don't why ribs would be any different. They might take 30 minutes or so longer.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Honestly they will thaw pretty fast ,if not I cook as usual. Worst case they will be partially , I'd leave them out for a bit to get them going, when the outer part just  thaws toss them in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    They are sitting on the counter thawing and they will go into the fridge later.

MiniMax 04/17

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Once the ribs are partially thawed I apply a generous coating of rub, wrap in plastic and refrigerate meat side down overnight.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Once the ribs are partially thawed I apply a generous coating of rub, wrap in plastic and refrigerate meat side down overnight.
    To me, at least, ribs get weird if you pre-salt them (brine, whatever).  I rub/salt right before cooking.
    Options
    Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. 

The only disadvantage to frozen, other than if the meat quality had degraded, is that it's harder to get rub to stick to it.
    Options
    A little late to the party on your ? but cryopacked ribs will thaw in cold water in 30 minutes or less.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Left them in fridge overnight. Took out and applied rub. Supposed to be raining by non and storms all afternoon. So I put them in the oven in an aluminum pan at 300.plannng to go 3,2,1 with the last haze in the MiniMax if it isn't raining. I figure an hour or so n the MM coated in sauce should finish them up just fine.

i know I'm cheating but wife won't let me use the Large on the back porch as she says it smells up the house (true). But the MM does. Plus, I don't want the FlameBoss or me out in the rain doing ribs. Plus in my area storms mean lots of lightning. I want to live to eat them.

After checking I ended up with 3 full racks of baby backs. hoping everything goes well. I'll post the results.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    MiniMax 04/17