Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Purchases that exceeded your anticipated duration- likely tilted toward us older phques

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,332
While enjoying a few (several) ounces of exceptional brown water this PM I had a brain aneurysm and thought I would see how many here have bought something(s) where the anticipated duration (wives ( @RRP ) /husbands excepted) greatly exceeded the projected life-cycle.
Guilty;  two cars- both well past 20 years. And a daily windup watch pushing 42 years (old here for sure).  I never thought the watch would still be my prime time keeper but here we are.  Did I mention I have a lawn??? 
Others??

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I bought a Bunn coffee maker in 2001. The heating plate just went out last week. I have a new one in my Amazon cart, but I just have a cup at home in the morning and take the rest to the hospital in my thermos. I might just leave it be until it doesn't keep the water hot any longer. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2018
    Options
    See the above thread posted here.  Clearly a sustained memory loss about the same topic.  Sorry about the rewind. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    At the urging of a friend I bought a pair of Bose 501's to anchor my home theater.  That was 1988.  I have re-covered the fabric, but otherwise these still kick ass.  My neighbors can hear walking down the sidewalk when I'm watching a movie
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    What brand of watch, @Lousubcap ?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch-PM response sent. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    dharley said:
    I bought a Bunn coffee maker in 2001. The heating plate just went out last week. I have a new one in my Amazon cart, but I just have a cup at home in the morning and take the rest to the hospital in my thermos. I might just leave it be until it doesn't keep the water hot any longer. 
    @dharley
    Call Bunn.  I 90% guarantee you when you get off the phone with them a new one will be on the way to you.  They have exceptional customer service.  They have sent me 3 new ones over the years. One time I called to see if I could order some plastics because it got beat up on a camping trip during transport.  They wouldn't hear of it, and sent me a new one.  Another time one of my kids put butter on a small plate on top of the Bunn to soften the butter.  It melted, overflowed the plate, and went into the pour over reservoir.  We had unintentional butter coffee.  I ran 50 pots through and still had butter film coming out.  I ran gallons of vinegar through and every pot still smelled like crap and had that "oil slick" on top of it. I called to ask recommendations for getting that out.   Solution: they just sent me a new machine. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Bought a new 2008 Acadia in '07 as my farm vehicle. It was a piece of ****, still is. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    2001 Exmark Lazer 54" deck, purchased in 2001..

Had to put a new Kawasaki V-Twin on it last year from a Kohler, but the bones are still solid.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    coming up on 30 years soon with my boat somewhere near 20,000 hours, still the same merc motor, with very little maintenance.  boats worth more than i paid for it.  when i say very little maintenance,  in the last ten years ive just put gas and two stroke in it. when its out of the water this december, theres a worn steering bushing that needs attention and the gas line may need replacement.  i have no idea how this motor is still chugging along

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    What make and model autos there, Frank?  

I have a pinstripe Brooks Brothers suit that I purchased about 20 years ago now in Chicago.  I’ll never forget getting fitted for that.  The tailor convinced me to add a little slack to the waistline, because in the future I would get bigger there.  He was Italian and had at least 30 years on me, and he used his hands to illustrate what he anticipated would happen to my waistline over time.  I’m glad I listened to the old man because he was right and it somehow still fits.  I still throw it on when I need to look like I know what I’m doing.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    dharley said:
    @dharley
    Call Bunn.  I 90% guarantee you when you get off the phone with them a new one will be on the way to you.  They have exceptional customer service.  They have sent me 3 new ones over the years. One time I called to see if I could order some plastics because it got beat up on a camping trip during transport.  They wouldn't hear of it, and sent me a new one.  Another time one of my kids put butter on a small plate on top of the Bunn to soften the butter.  It melted, overflowed the plate, and went into the pour over reservoir.  We had unintentional butter coffee.  I ran 50 pots through and still had butter film coming out.  I ran gallons of vinegar through and every pot still smelled like crap and had that "oil slick" on top of it. I called to ask recommendations for getting that out.   Solution: they just sent me a new machine. 
    You guys are better at this than I am. The light on the hot plate switch stopped working on my Bunn and shortly afterward, it developed a leak. I called to buy parts. They said they would send me a free gasket to stop the leak, but refused to send a new switch (free or otherwise). Said their UL rating would get pulled if they allowed owners to do electrical repairs. No mention of sending a new one.

The gasket stopped the leak and I found a parts place that had an exact replacement for the switch. A new coffee maker would have been easier!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I was gifted a Black & Decker HS80 Vegetable/Rice Steamer for graduation back in 1991.  Thing has been a work horse ever since with no issues.  Go figure.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i found a bottle opener in a church basement over 40 years ago. its been in my pocket ever since =)=)=) hardly used at all.
    fukahwee maine

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    i found a bottle opener in a church basement over 40 years ago. its been in my pocket ever since =)=)=) hardly used at all.
    Care to fill us in on who...I mean what you were doing in a church basement?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Care to fill us in on who...I mean what you were doing in a church basement?
    the story would not be complete if i didnt mention i was 15 years old putting in a hot water heating system and i had just drilled a hole thru a wall for some piping and that pilot drill went thru the wall, along a shelf and thru maybe 8 to 10 bibles....ooops  putting the hole in holy bibles
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    My Leitz Trinovids are going on 40 years and still good as new.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    Options
    I have a few pair of underwear that have been around since the Reagan administration.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I got this heaping pile of ..... from my mother in law. A 2001 Chevy Lumina. Actually it's awesome! She was going to have someone pick it up and send it to the junkyard. Not on my watch. I said hold that thought. I found near new wheels/tires on Craigslist for around $100. I spent under $100 for new disc and pads that I put in. The turn signal switch went out that I ended up replacing. Other than that it's been 100% reliable. Going on 20,000 miles since we've had it as a spare vehicle. Perfect winter beater. Park it where ever you want. Not a worry in the world about scratching, denting, or starting it on fire. Hell, I throw lumber across the hood for a workbench. Has back seats unlike my truck. My wife was pulled over in a work zone and was looking at a $300 ticket. Officer goes, "You probably could use the money elsewhere". It's great. Saves on wear and tear on our cars running errands. 

That thing needs 22” rims
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Legume said:
    WeberWho said:
    I got this heaping pile of ..... from my mother in law. A 2001 Chevy Lumina. Actually it's awesome! She was going to have someone pick it up and send it to the junkyard. Not on my watch. I said hold that thought. I found near new wheels/tires on Craigslist for around $100. I spent under $100 for new disc and pads that I put in. The turn signal switch went out that I ended up replacing. Other than that it's been 100% reliable. Going on 20,000 miles since we've had it as a spare vehicle. Perfect winter beater. Park it where ever you want. Not a worry in the world about scratching, denting, or starting it on fire. Hell, I throw lumber across the hood for a workbench. Has back seats unlike my truck. My wife was pulled over in a work zone and was looking at a $300 ticket. Officer goes, "You probably could use the money elsewhere". It's great. Saves on wear and tear on our cars running errands. 

Maybe some spinner rims and a lift. Maybe a sweet sound system from Target or Walmart 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Legume said:
    WeberWho said:

and a lime green sparkly paint job 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited August 2018
    Options
    stv8r said:
    At the urging of a friend I bought a pair of Bose 501's to anchor my home theater.  That was 1988.  I have re-covered the fabric, but otherwise these still kick ass.  My neighbors can hear walking down the sidewalk when I'm watching a movie
    Same story but with KEF speakers purchased in 1991. Still audiophile quality sound. I also inherited my grandfathers electric shoe polisher/buffer purchased in the early 60's. Still going strong.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    This is a straight up baller here. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hCj-vHV7RNM
    All day long here on the Wess Side of the A T L

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Same story but with KEF speakers purchased in 1991. Still audiophile quality sound. I also inherited my grandfathers electric shoe polisher/buffer purchased in the early 60's. Still going strong.
    I have a pair of KEF bookshelves from early to mid 80s. They are sweet. Been packed up since we moved 2 years ago, maybe I will look for them this weekend. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    dharley said:
    @dharley
    Thanks, brother. I'll give them a call.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I put a perforated film with advertising on the front sun facing glass of our dealership. 5 years later it looked as good as the day it went in, (I expected a year before fading or curling) I only swapped it out because I was ready for a new message.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I also have a mechanical pencil that I've had since high school. Still works like a champ 20 years later.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    2003 XR100R dirt bike...Went thru 2 boys...can’t be killed!  Lots of chains and sprockets, couple of tires...fricken bullet proof.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Back in the 80s my father bought me a gokart that I promptly beat to hell as most kids would. It was later given to a neighbor who let their kid run it for a couple years before selling it to a friend. They let their two boys run it for a few years then it sat. I purchased it back and now me and my kids ride it. Many new tires and chains but same B&S 5hp motor. Considering the newer karts I've bought can't stay running for more than a couple months without breaking something my original has lived well past expectations.