Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shout out to SGH

Options
DuckDogDr
DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
The recent manliness and classic shaving threads got me curious as to all the fuss. Admittedly for years I've been trying to get my barber to do an old fashioned shave, but according to him the state association says it's a no go.

So inspired by @SGH, and a nagging desire I took the plunge

I'll let ya'll know in the morning if I needed a blood transfusion 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations brother, you are definitely stepping up. I look forward to your thoughts. 
    On a separate note, I’m not sure if some states have laws prohibiting straight shaves or not. But I think that is the case. However there is no state that prohibits a barber from using a shavette. It’s kind of a cross between a straight and a DE. Just thought I would point that out. In the right hands, a shavette will more than give a straight a run for its money. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a Merkur Futur 23C.  I have one of those.
    Options
    usually takes a while for the skin to work up to a straight shave =) the blade will cut.
    the law flipped back up here, barbers can use a straight up here now. will not be getting one with my once a year hair cut though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:

I have that same brush. It’s one of my most used brushes. 

You can tell by the pic that it’s been used heavily. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    @DuckDogDr - Have you tried your new gear yet?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SGH
    Options
    @DuckDogDr
    How about that shave?

Status- Standing by.

• DuckDogDr
    Options
    @SGH, @1voyager. Just finished with the new gear. Definately enjoyed the process, was an overall relaxing experience prepping the lather even though I was worried about the potential blood letting. Definately need more practice with the lathering process. After using the new razor , I will never go back to a Gillette or other disposable; however I wish I had ordered the model with the longer handle. Got a crazy close shave with only 3 Nick's so no transfusion this evening!
    I picked a shaving soap of the hypoallergenic variety as a lot scents really jack with my sinuses. This product truly has no odor so happy there as well.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I nicked a mole in the soul patch area and bled like a stuck pig.  so I'll have to have a plan for that, but no problems anywhere else.  like it.  have used the supplied blade, interested in how the feathers will work.  hopefully will not need a blood infusion. 
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @SGH, @1voyager. Just finished with the new gear. Definately enjoyed the process, was an overall relaxing experience prepping the lather even though I was worried about the potential blood letting. Definately need more practice with the lathering process. After using the new razor , I will never go back to a Gillette or other disposable; however I wish I had ordered the model with the longer handle. Got a crazy close shave with only 3 Nick's so no transfusion this evening!
    I picked a shaving soap of the hypoallergenic variety as a lot scents really jack with my sinuses. This product truly has no odor so happy there as well.

My new Muhle had 2 handle options and I went long. 
  • DuckDogDr
    Options
    @Eoin. I think I'm going to order the longer handle option. 
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I also want to thank SGH as his enthusiasm got me too. I bought the Merker Futur with adjustable blade and the full kit. Much closer shave and i make it a nice ritual with some 15 year scotch for an aftershave snoot-full. Your starting a movement.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    I also want to thank SGH as his enthusiasm got me too. I bought the Merker Futur with adjustable blade and the full kit. Much closer shave and i make it a nice ritual with some 15 year scotch for an aftershave snoot-full. Your starting a movement.
    I’m glad to hear that you like the Futur. It is so beloved among the shaving community that it’s nicknamed “The Future Of Shaving”.  
    All kidding aside, since I started posting the lathers and razors I have had numerous PM’s, texts and calls about shaving gear. No matter what some may try to say, we are not alone here. Shave on my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have my grandfather's brush as well as his straight razor. But when I retired this year I decided to grow a beard. If I ever decide to shave it off I'll experiment with the straight razor.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SGH
    Options
    I have my grandfather's brush as well as his straight razor.

That ^^^^^ is awesome brother.  Hang on to it. 

But when I retired this year I decided to grow a beard.

I can’t say that I approve of this ^^^^^^

If I ever decide to shave it off I'll experiment with the straight razor.

Start the experiment today
     =) 

Status- Standing by.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have my grandfather's brush as well as his straight razor.

That ^^^^^ is awesome brother.  Hang on to it. 

But when I retired this year I decided to grow a beard.

I can’t say that I approve of this ^^^^^^

If I ever decide to shave it off I'll experiment with the straight razor.

Start the experiment today
     =) 

The stone and the wooden handle razor belonged to my mother's dad. The black handle razor and the brush belonged to my dad's dad.

Probably not worth much but it has value to me.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SGH
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Definately need more practice with the lathering process. 
    Practice makes perfect my friend. On a separate note, Tabac soap is one of (if not) the easiests soaps that there is to lather. If you are having a hard time getting the desired lather that you want, give Tabac a try. It will amaze you how easy it lathers. It is also one of the best performing soaps that there is. Most of the monster lathers that I have posted were made with Tabac. 

Another outstanding soap that lathers easily is Stirling. You can get Stirling in a wide variety of scents. They also make an unscented version as well. 

On last thing about Tabac. Not only does it lather extremely easy, it takes water better than any soap that I have tried. The lather will not “break” no matter how much water you put to it. It will get thinner and thinner to the point that it’s useless if you grotesquely overload it with water. Yet the lather will never truly break.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have read somewhere that excising the wrist (building foam lather from soap and water is a wrist job) can build the muscles that make it a quick and efficient job.  Perhaps a workout with a shake-weight will help.
    Options
    What brand/model of accessories are included in the full kit?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    1voyager said:
    What brand/model of accessories are included in the full kit?
    It depends on who you buy from. Several companies offer a “kit” using different razors, stands, brushes, etc, etc. 
    A typical 3 piece kit usually consists of a razor, razor stand and a brush. A 4 piece kit usually includes the above plus a bowl of some type. As the kit gets larger, it can contain just about anything from soap to towels and anything in between. 
    Here is a set or “kit” that I bought. It includes a Vikings Blades Razor, stand and brush. 

Status- Standing by.