Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a new thermometer (Not a maverick!)

I've had the Maverick ET-733 for a couple of years and never really cared for it at all, I regret buying it to be honest.  It is way too difficult to program and use.  It usually sits in my pantry because I don't want to deal with the frustration of trying to program it.  With that being said, I'd love to hear what others are using to monitor their meat and egg temps, something that is simple to program and use and wireless as well.  Any pros/cons with your choice of thermometer.  Thanks!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I came from an ET-733 and went with the Thermoworks Smoke. There's no looking back! Super simple to use and configure
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    If you want something with a physical remote then the Thermorks Smoke is worth a look.

If you are ok with using your phone/tablet/pc for remote reading I'd look at the Fireboard.

Maverick does have a new model with 4 probes.  Might want to look at that:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I went from maverick to the thermoworks smoke and wouldn't go back.  I haven't used the gateway yet but I have heard good things.  not to mention their customer service is amazing, I had a probe go out and got one within three days.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Whenever my Maverick craps out I'll probably get a Smoke, but that will cost twice as much as what I have and has worked flawlessly for a few years now. I may not know what I'm missing, but other than only being able to go up when setting temps and alarms I don't really understand what is considered difficult about using the Maverick.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What do I use for remote monitoring? Why nothing, nothing at all. I walk outside occasionally and stick an instant read in the meat. The egg doesn't need monitoring, it stays where I set it. I have an old Maverick ET73, but only use it once every blue moon for a reverse sear (meat temp only, I don't bother with egg temp).

BTW, the Mav 732 is supposed be far better than the 733 as I understand it. But I'll likely never own either. And $100 for a Smoke?! That'll be the day!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Are you ever going to want a controller? I can easily just monitor with my Smobot, but really like how easy it to set the temp. 

If if you ever see yourself spending money on a controller, I would skip spending the money on a stand alone thermometer for now. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Replaced my maverick with a weber igrill.  Incredibly simple to program and use. The iphone app is terrific.  Bluetooth range is meh.   Far superior to maverick, which was a total PITA. 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/igrill-and-thermometers/7204.html
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Fireboard. Made in Kansas City
    Pratt, KS
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I have the Maverick ET-7 and really only use it on Pork butt or Brisket.  It has a remote reader that never really worked.  I set it up at start of cook and X Hours later I start turning it on to get a check on meat so I dont have to open the lid.

I have considered other options but frankly it works, its simple.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,430
    jeponline said:
    Are you ever going to want a controller? I can easily just monitor with my Smobot, but really like how easy it to set the temp. 

If if you ever see yourself spending money on a controller, I would skip spending the money on a stand alone thermometer for now. 
    This!  
    I had a Maverick 732, had to replace 3 probes, the third one was actually the female jack in the unit that went bad, POS went into the trash.  I got a Smoke based on my Thermapen experience, and it was great and I didn't need the instructions to program it.
    BUT, when I got a Smobot, I never used the Smoke again.  I normally only cook one item and the Smo has me covered, but I will keep the Smoke in case I ever do more complicated cooks.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    I’m a Smoke guy now having previously owned 2 Mavericks. Even with the Smoke I’ve gone through 4 probes but it turns out you’ve just gotta keep water away from point where the cable is attached to the probe when cleaning, otherwise it will “boil” inside the probe when in use.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Can't go wrong with the Smoke. Wait for an open box sale. I got mine for $79 and I swear it looked like the box had never been opened and the unit had never been used. Of course this sale this way like 2 days before they announced all the brand new colors, but gray works fine for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• has anyone tried the iKammand from KJ?  I thought they said the price was going to be sub $200 but it looks like it's crept up over $300 now that it's been released.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    What do I use for remote monitoring? Why nothing, nothing at all. I walk outside occasionally and stick an instant read in the meat. The egg doesn't need monitoring, it stays where I set it. 
    This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545

My Wife bought this for me on a whim... Does anyone have any experience with it..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....