Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Fillet (Sous vide) question

Options
dannys
dannys Posts: 164
I've got a couple of fillets that I want to wrap with bacon and sous vide.  I've done this before but not sous vide. Should I render the bacon before sous vide? I'm worried that there will be too much fat.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    IMO The fat will really not render in SV Id go no Bacon, or fry the bacon and garnish

https://youtu.be/n1K1WHR9HeY
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have done a few and they were fine. The fat in the bacon is no more than would be found in a ribeye steak and many people VS those.
    It does soften and start to break down the bacon and IMO it makes it easier to crisp up with the sear.
    I let the steak rest for 15 minutes before the sear and I used my Small Egg, very raised, direct at 600-700 degrees. Did not give a crust but nice added flavor and some char. Pat them dry first.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Ultimately if you have nailed cooking steak, without SV, keep cooking them without...SV helps with consistency and for those that struggle with getting their perfect 'temp" or if you are needing to do a S*Load for a party....If that is not an issue, grill on
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    The bacon won't render out properly at the time/temp combo that you would be doing your steaks. You could try microwaving the bacon for like two minutes to give it a head start?