Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocks and Concrete in the BGE charcoal bags!

Options
Am I the one getting screwed on this?   This is happened to me probably seven times in the last three years.   

Comments

• hogfan412
    Options
    I have never experience it but I have really good luck with Royal Oak for a fraction of the cost.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It happens often. Even Rockwood gets it occasionally though way less often than most. Unless you are pulling out 5lbs of concrete outta every bag just don't worry about it. Plus I would be more concerned with the fact that you are paying $20+ a bag for a 15lb bag of rebranded Royal Oak when you can get a 20lb bag for $9.99 at Home Depot.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    RO and BGE charcoal are manufactured by the same company. Rocks and stuff happen occasionally, it’s just the nature of the manufacturing process. I know Rockwood overpacks their bags to compensate for the occasional rock or foreign body. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    royal oak puts the rocks in the bge bags
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    royal oak puts the rocks in the bge bags
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ha Ha ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think of it like the prizes in Cracker Jacks Boxes.
    If you have ever watched a video on how lump charcoal is made...you would be surprised it was not in every bag.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I rarely see any such material (in Royal Oak, Wicked Good or the couple of bags of Rockwood I've used). But others do report finding it. Manufacturers supposedly overfill the bags to compensate for any foreign matter (which is pretty much unavoidable). At least I understand they do this, but I've never weighed the contents of a bag of lump. Why worry about it? You can't change it anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Vlsmith said:
    Am I the one getting screwed on this?   This is happened to me probably seven times in the last three years.   
    7 times in 3 years! Wow, what a ripoff. I'd consult legal counsel.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Normal in all the lumps.  Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Continue to have fun.
    Just be aware that any discussion regarding lump charcoal around here is like politics and religion elsewhere.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.