Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post - First Lamb

epl108
epl108 Posts: 13
Been lurking around here for information and advice for some time now, but just getting around to making my first post.  Have had an XL BGE for just less than a year and am still getting the hang of it and taking advantage of its versatility.  Used it a ton as a big grill, but been working on some more low-and-slow stuff lately.  Was intrigued by some recent posts and picked up a 2.5# boneless leg of lamb at Trader Joe's this past weekend.  Covered it in S&P, lemon zest, EVOO and some fresh rosemary from a friend's garden.

Loaded half the fire box with charcoal and put some cherry chips on there and kept the other half empty so I could do indirect without having to pull out my deflector plate (one less step for the sear at the end).  Put it on a 300 degree egg and let it get to 125 degrees IT before pulling it and letting it sit while I opened all the vents to get it up to 550 or 600.  Seared each side about 90 seconds then let sit another 10 minutes before carving.  Also had a small pork loin from TJ's that I cooked while the egg was heating up after the smoke along with some green vegetables and chicken sausages that were defrosted and sitting idle in my fridge.

Really happy with the way it turned out, and happy to get some advice on things I can do to make it even better next time (there will DEFINITELY be a next time!).

Prepping the lamb:

Onto the BGE, with some cherry chips:

@125 degrees - great color (took about an hour and 20 minutes

Post searing for 90 seconds on each side:

The little pork loin that found its way onto the Egg while I was letting the lamb chill; cooked direct until 130 IT:

Sliced the lamb:

Served with a little brown rice, and grilled green beans, asparagus, the pork loin and half a chicken sausage. Not pictured: a heaping dollop of tzaziki:

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Now that is a great looking cook right there.  Nailed those proteins.  Most eggcellent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited August 2018
    It all sounds wonderful, but... there are no pictures.

This has happened to many others before -- the pictures showed, but then later they don't anymore, and it's always been that they posted their picture on Google somehow.  If you post them directly to this forum, they'll show up.

WELCOME, and enjoy your Big Green Egg!  I would love to see your pictures -- I love lamb!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome!  I've got great pictures, not sure what's up with brother @Theophan.  Lamb looks great.  Enjoy the ride.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Welcome - great looking cook.  The pictures show up on my IPhone, but not on my PC.  Weird :o:o
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Theophan said:
    It all sounds wonderful, but... there are no pictures.

This has happened to many others before -- the pictures showed, but then later they don't anymore, and it's always been that they posted their picture on Google somehow.  If you post them directly to this forum, they'll show up.

WELCOME, and enjoy your Big Green Egg!  I would love to see your pictures -- I love lamb!
    Looking at this thread now I don't see the pics.  Honest- I did see them earlier.  Strange-perhaps best explained by some IT eggsperts.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I'm not having much luck either, but I'd like to check it out!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• epl108
    Very strange - I also don't see the pictures when viewing on my PC, but they show up no problem on my iphone's web browser.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks!
  • I’ve got no pics on my iPhone., but it all sounds delicious!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I’ve got no pics on my iPhone., but it all sounds delicious!
    +1
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Theophan
    epl108 said:
    Very strange - I also don't see the pictures when viewing on my PC, but they show up no problem on my iphone's web browser.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks!
    Yup: I tried to explain in my previous post that this problem has occurred when people used Google, or some Google site or function, to host their pictures.  What I'm sure you did was to upload your pictures from your phone or your computer to Google, and then linked to them from this site.

Instead of uploading them to Google, and then trying to get this site to show them via Google, you can upload the photos directly to this forum from your computer or your phone.  It's easy and really handy.  I don't know what it is about Google that causes this problem, but everyone who's experienced what you just experienced were posting their pictures using some function of Google.  Try uploading one picture to this forum directly from your computer or your phone and see what happens.

Sorry you've experienced this.  I promise, once you get it to work right, it'll be easy from then on.
  • epl108
    Thanks, @Theophan ! Hopefully these work now:

Prepping the lamb:

Onto the BGE, with some cherry chips:

@125 degrees - great color (took about an hour and 20 minutes)

Post searing for 90 seconds on each side:

The little pork loin that found its way onto the Egg while I was letting the lamb chill; cooked direct until 130 IT:

Sliced the lamb:

Served with a little brown rice, and grilled green beans, asparagus, the pork loin and half a chicken sausage. Not pictured: a heaping dollop of tzaziki:

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    You nailed it!! Way to start out posting with a BOOM!!  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Theophan
    @epl108: GORGEOUS cook!!!  Mouth-watering!  Thank you for going to the trouble of posting the pictures again -- they are there this time!  Man, that lamb looks just luscious!  Great job!
  • Very nice, and welcome aboard!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @epl108 . Nice job.  Looks tasty
    Welcome to egg nation    

I am making lamb shoulder this weekend for pulled lamb shawarma so watch for picts on the forum somewhere.....