Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse searing

Options
KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
I've never done a reverse sear before.  I've got forward searing down pat, though.  I did a quick search, but didn't see anything saying how to do it.  I'm thinking about picking up a prime tomahawk from Costco for Friday nights dinner.  How do I do it on the egg?  Indirect first at 250 until IT is 110 or so?  Pull the PS, let the steak rest while it gets up to 550-600* then sear for 1-2 min per side?  
Franklin, TN

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've never done a reverse sear before.  I've got forward searing down pat, though.  I did a quick search, but didn't see anything saying how to do it.  I'm thinking about picking up a prime tomahawk from Costco for Friday nights dinner.  How do I do it on the egg?  Indirect first at 250 until IT is 110 or so?  Pull the PS, let the steak rest while it gets up to 550-600* then sear for 1-2 min per side?  
    You got it although I’d pull at 115. Just a matter of preference. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScottStern
    ScottStern Posts: 34
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That's about it.  I tried it recently for the first time (see my latest post).  One thing I didn't do that would have made a difference is dry the steak with a paper towel after taking it off and then re-season with S&P or whatever rub you are using.   I pulled my steak a little more done that 110, but obviously that's all preference.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Only a recent convert to the reverse sear, but that's the way I do it. BTW, it's supposedly only suitable for 1 1/2" or thicker cuts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KGilma2018
    Options
    OK I thought I had it about right.  110-115* was what I am shooting for.  Medium rare to Medium is what my wife and I like.  
    Franklin, TN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    FWIW, I leave the PS in and just run the temp up....If i want it "Flame Licked"I put the Steak on the perimeter ....saves me the step of taking out something hot and it works fine for me 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    FWIW, I leave the PS in and just run the temp up....If i want it "Flame Licked"I put the Steak on the perimeter ....saves me the step of taking out something hot and it works fine for me 
    I've got the Smokeware all around lifter for this job, so thats not a problem taking the PS out.  
    Franklin, TN
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    OK I thought I had it about right.  110-115* was what I am shooting for.  Medium rare to Medium is what my wife and I like.  
    Get some more opinions on this to see what several people say.  I usually pull them a little less than 120° (117° maybe), and I'm shooting for medium rare, NOT medium!  I'd think 110° would be more medium-rare to rare.

And I usually sear at 600°-650°, and only for about a minute a side.  That really doesn't cook the interior much at all.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I have refrained until now (and moving into LEO) but if you don't want to richard around with waiting for the BGE to get to your reverse sear temp, give the caveman finish search a look.  (I assure it will surface).  The finish temp and speed to get there is the mark.  Quick read thermo for the win.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't pay much (or any) attention to the temp for the searing step. You want a coal bed that is fully engaged and larger than the steak.  Get the steak down close to (or on) the coals.  You want to get as much radiant heat hitting the surface as possible. Flip often.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    I've been reverse searing for a long time and I find I get the best results when cooking ybe steak closer to 275 or even 300 before searing. The steak takes on a beautiful red mahogany color on the outside. And the fat renders that much better.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    Franklin, TN
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have done it on the Egg at 600 degrees direct and indirect, and both are good. Lately I have been kind of lazy, and when the meat is almost done, I  heat up the gasser, with GrillGrates reversed, to about 700 degrees, and sear the meat for about 30 seconds per side. Works well for steaks and tri-tips. No grill marks, but a great all over sear.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    grill marks are not a good thing.  you really want the surface to be 100% dark brown crust - this is the sign of maximum flavor.  Grill marks are a sign of burnt and underdone crust development.  Yes, they look cool, but you really are leaving a lot of flavor behind.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• KGilma2018
    Options
    What about throwing it down on my blackstone after the indirect?  
    Franklin, TN
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I don't think the Blackstone has the thermal mass to get a great sear. It will cool the surface down too much to get a good crust.
    That's why cast iron is so popular for searing, it holds it heat very well.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I don't think the Blackstone has the thermal mass to get a great sear. It will cool the surface down too much to get a good crust.
    That's why cast iron is so popular for searing, it holds it heat very well.
     Yeah, It was just a thought.  I dont really think it gets hot enough to give it the sear I want.  If it could, it would completely sear both sides.
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Well bummer Costco doesn't have any tomahawks.  I did pick up a prime ribeye but they're not thick enough to reverse sear.  Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks, the butcher said they would get more closer to labor day.
    Franklin, TN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I like a nice reverse seared tri-tip; 350 indirect until ~120 internal then pull and get the egg up to searing status and a couple minutes on each side.  I really don’t worry about the meat temps after I pull it for the sear since I know the temp should rise to “done enough” with my beer goggle searing skills.  Gonna make one soon so I’ll post it up step by step, including my cheater sauce.