Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Way off topic - Polaris Slingshot disappointment.

Options
So we went to buy a Polaris Slingshot today. Closest dealer was about an hour away and I have been talking to a salesperson there several times on the phone. This was to be for my wife, who is kinda crazy about these things since we have been seeing them often cruising around the mountains.
The dealer got in a brand new 2019 Slingshot S in white, which is the model and color she wanted. The 2018 S was only available in black. 2019 S is only available in white, so bingo! Her color.
Got there and it was sitting out front beside a green 2018 SL Icon model that was quite sharp too. We talked with the rep and learned all the details and specs and decided the S model was the one, though the dealer did have many more models at several different price points inside. You can spend a ridiculous amount of money upgrading and customize these things.
She climbed in and it seemed to fit her OK, but a little tight. Since this was going to be mostly her toy, I tried out the passenger side, and there was no legroom at all. I was sitting there with my knees way up almost to my chest, with no room to stretch out at all. It put me in a position that I probably could only ride in for maybe an hour. Seems the exhaust comes down in front of the passenger compartment and that is the reason for the limited legroom. Yes, they put heat shields there, which is supposed to help with heat coming into the cockpit, but we will never know how well that works.
When I tried the driver's side, there was more leg room, but the passenger side was too cramped for her too.
So, we did not even take it for a test ride, though the rep was convinced once we drove it, that would change our mind. No, the reason for selling the motorcycle was to upgrade to something more comfortable, and maybe safer too. Since it was uncomfortable just to sit in, no need to even do the scheduled test drive. 
Oh well, saved 20 plus thousand dollars, plus countless more in future mods and upgrades, but we were both a little sad to not bring it home. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When I read the title I honest to goodness thought you was talking about something along these lines. 

I had no idea what a Polaris slingshot was. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    SGH said:
    When I read the title I honest to goodness thought you was talking about something along these lines. 

I was thinking it was going to be a snow machine.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You’re only a wheel away from a roadster. There are some fun convertible roadsters out there that are great for mountain cruising. 
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I’m sorry, that’s super disappointing. I ride, and prefer dual sport styles. It seems having a 36 in seat height is standard. Well, that’s perfect for my husband who is well over 6 ft. But not for me. Just makes me wonder who these are being marketed to? 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    You’re only a wheel away from a roadster. There are some fun convertible roadsters out there that are great for mountain cruising. 
    We have already looked at and eliminated the Miata and Z4. Mustang seemed cheaply built for the price point and the Camaro, with the top up had very little rearward visibility, but I pointed out she won't be driving it with the top up much.
    She did kinda like the Lexus SC430 but finding one with low miles at a good price is a challenge.
    The idea with the Slingshot was although we were giving up the motorcycle, the experience would still be motorcycle like. Getting older sucks, but still beats the alternative.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I’m sorry, that’s super disappointing. I ride, and prefer dual sport styles. It seems having a 36 in seat height is standard. Well, that’s perfect for my husband who is well over 6 ft. But not for me. Just makes me wonder who these are being marketed to? 
    Tall people like me! Remember, those of us well North of 6 foot have a limited choice in bikes and dual sports are the only comfortable option. I can't get near fitting on a sports bike.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We have already looked at and eliminated the Miata and Z4. Mustang seemed cheaply built for the price point and the Camaro, with the top up had very little rearward visibility, but I pointed out she won't be driving it with the top up much.
    She did kinda like the Lexus SC430 but finding one with low miles at a good price is a challenge.
    The idea with the Slingshot was although we were giving up the motorcycle, the experience would still be motorcycle like. Getting older sucks, but still beats the alternative.
    Used Boxster? Should be plenty around. Do you get the Caterham 7 in the US, worth a look if you do. Or an Elise, but probably hard to find.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    @eion, I know exactly what you mean. My husband looks like he is on a Shriners bike when he is in my Ducati. I on the other hand can’t remotely touch the ground on his ktm. I just ask for a toe to touch, I don’t need a full foot touching. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • epcotisbest
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I looked at a Yamaha Tenere one time. If I remember right the seat height was around 34 inches. Would have been fine for me, but my wife could not even touch the ground. So higher seat heights work fine for us tall people, but our extra height eliminates us riding passenger in a Slingshot.
  • epcotisbest
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Used Boxster? Should be plenty around. Do you get the Caterham 7 in the US, worth a look if you do. Or an Elise, but probably hard to find.
    I have a friend who had a first generation Boxster. He had an engine go out due to some kind of internal bearing failure. Cost to rebuild or replace engine was more than the entire car was worth. He sold it for parts to someone who does Boxster body work. I am too tight to take that chance, but he loved his when it did run. And it is one of the best looking two up convertibles out there. If I could afford to take a chance, the 986 would be first or second on my list.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I thought this gonna be another classic breakfast post. I had the skillet all heated up and everything.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Tall people like me! Remember, those of us well North of 6 foot have a limited choice in bikes and dual sports are the only comfortable option. I can't get near fitting on a sports bike.
    I had a Yamaha FZ-6 for many years, it'd do 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds but it was a bit more spread out than the true sportbikes (I have a 37" inseam).  Could only ride it 90 minutes or so.  When I replaced it with a BMW R1200GS, I could ride for over 8 hours!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had a Moto Guzzi when I was living in Europe. Loved that bike, great balance, easy on the back and legs during long tours.
    Brought it home, stateside for about a month, and sold it the very day a guy ok offered almost 50% more than what I paid for it.
    There are times I wish I had it back. 
    I bought another jeep, too and doors off 90% of the time, lot of fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Have you considered the can am spyder?
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    She says the Spyder is too much like a motorcycle and what she likes about the Slingshot is it is kinda car-like yet with motorcycle qualities as well. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just buy a golf cart with a Hayabusa engine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6nN1smBFR4

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    She says the Spyder is too much like a motorcycle and what she likes about the Slingshot is it is kinda car-like yet with motorcycle qualities as well. 
     It is a shame the slingshot is not better laid out.  I would love an Ariel Atom.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Is the legroom issue across all model years?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    I hear ya.
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    How about a Vanderhall?
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We did a couple laps in the aerial atoms a couple years ago at road Atlanta during the mitty. Holy **** they’re fun. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    One of my dream bike/cars. A work of art that can be driven. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    We did a couple laps in the aerial atoms a couple years ago at road Atlanta during the mitty. Holy **** they’re fun. 
    Lucky! It is on my bucket list.  I've driven formula fords at PIR, but an Atom on a road course has to be amazing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Is the legroom issue across all model years?
    Yes, same through all models and years. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    RZRs (sp?) seem to be quite popular around here:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    that's exactly what I was about to suggest
    Options
    get a used Boxter S, great cars
    Options
    Botch said:
    RZRs (sp?) seem to be quite popular around here:

Rzr's are a bunch of fun.  Another option is a Can Am Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo R (can am sucks at names). It is lower slung with a more laid back riding position.  Wicked fast 23" of travel.  They eat dunes and can be fun on the street.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    What is it supposed to be? It's not a bike, it's not a car. Seems like if I have to have something like that it ought to have a roof and heater.
    Have you ever considered a sidecar? Without knowing what you ride, I have no idea what would appeal.
    I can promise you I never dropped the hack in a parking lot and never worry about getting both feet down at a stop.
    Cooking on the coast
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    One of my dream bike/cars. A work of art that can be driven. 

Who makes that?  I saw someone riding something very similar in Vermont last weekend, but couldn't catch up to see what it was
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT