Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling basket for shrimp

Options
Anyone have a grilling basket they like for shrimp? The one I currently use isn’t ideal since the grid is fairly wide in a few areas and I tend to loose several while grilling. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

Wok

Or 

Skewers for mr

Depending on many I am cooking
    The Wok holds more

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Thanks y’all...I’ve used something similar to the wok, but my wife likes the grill marks. May be go back to skewers. My father in law had a great basket. It had a fairly narrow grid that held even smaller shrimp nicely. It’s long gone, but I would love to find one like it.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    ... May be go back to skewers...
    I used to use a flat basket that enclosed the contents in a top and bottom grate, so I could flip them.  It seemed nice, and the handle came off so I could close the dome, but what I've preferred for years now is just what you said: I always cook them on skewers now, and I find it easiest.  

I use metal ones that are not very wide, but just wide enough that usually the shrimp don't rotate on them (I puncture each shrimp twice, which I think helps), and I can flip the skewers and all of the shrimp flip together.  Works for me.  Here's a photo (I got these a little too dark, but they were still juicy and delicious -- I prefer a hot fire and a short cook):

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Use a pizza screen 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Check out the basket from HD that Derka123 used for his wings on the minimax    I think it is a stok basket from HD
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I learned years ago that the best way to grill shrimp was to cram them on the skewers as tight as can be. That way they don't dry out while getting a bit of char on them. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I generally use Skewers as well but.... I just grabbed this on discount from Target to try for various grilling items.  Put Habenero Peppers in it last night with lots of oil to season the peice and to char the peppers.  I dont see why Shrimp wouldnt work.

https://www.target.com/p/ignite-cast-iron-oval-grill-pan/-/A-51396165

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I Googled shrimp grilling basket and found quite a few options. This one looks promising and even has a review from a large egg owner...

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6471-Original-Stainless-Basket/dp/B005LR7R6W/ref=pd_sim_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005LR7R6W&pd_rd_r=HN2NBRP1PT6F66D6Q7XD&pd_rd_w=PWiCE&pd_rd_wg=0sBG6&psc=1&refRID=HN2NBRP1PT6F66D6Q7XD

REVIEW...

May 28, 2018
    Verified Purchase
    This basket fits perfectly on my large Big Green Egg. However I was surprised by how thin the basket is when closed. It seems to be made for food that is no more than about 1/2" thick. The mesh has a little bit of spring to it but not much. I tried to grill two small whole snappers and I could not keep it closed. This actually worked ok, I put it on the grill part way open and was able to grab it with an oven mitt to flip it. This is far better than trying to put the fish on the grill which in my experience causes the skin to stick no matter how clean the grill is or much oil I use. The skin still sticks a bit to this mesh but not nearly as much. It's difficult to get clean. Overall I'm happy with it but something with either more spring in the mesh or an adjustable clasp would have been better. For a Big Green Egg something round would allow more items to be cooked at once.

There is a smaller size available as well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Screwers all the way. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this might work for your needs, i do veggies on it mostly and it does work for pizza if the doughs not to wet

BBQ Pizza Pan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I learned years ago that the best way to grill shrimp was to cram them on the skewers as tight as can be. That way they don't dry out while getting a bit of char on them. 
    Great minds think alike!  :)  I do that mostly because when I put the skewer though each shrimp twice, and they are crammed together, they usually all flip together when I flip the skewer, and I don't usually have a lot of trouble with some shrimp not getting flipped.  But now that you say that, I bet you're right that it does also protect them a little from getting dried out.

Like you, I like a little char on shrimp, but I don't want them overcooked and dry, so I cook them hotter than most recipes call for.  Really short cook on pretty high heat usually does the trick for me.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I'm a 2 skewer kind of guy.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know this is not a direct response to the question OP posed. I do them on my Blackstone and can't really find a better method other than a wok. (of course this excludes boiling, steaming etc.

Shrimp cook so quick it is hardly worth firing up the grill. What am I saying....I am starting to sound like @Carolina_Q =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    There are grills that don't take near as long as the BGE to fire up. Just sayin'.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    ... I do them on my Blackstone...
    Shrimp cook so quick it is hardly worth firing up the grill. What am I saying....I am starting to sound like @Carolina_Q =)
    :rofl: You have a long way to go, bud. 

OTOH, there are plenty of folks on here who use their stove, pressure cooker, Crock Pot or, ahem, Blackstone... rather than bother with a grill. You know it's true! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

OTOH, there are plenty of folks on here who use their stove, pressure cooker, Crock Pot or, ahem, Blackstone... rather than bother with a grill. You know it's true! :)
    if theres no pics then its not true ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options

Done...
    Smart a$$, =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options

Done...
    Smart a$$, =)
    Nice rig sir.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Nice rig sir.
    Sure is. Would love to own one!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

Done...
    Smart a$$, =)
    thats an old pic, theres no grease stain around the stove on the purty blue carpet =)  this last weekend did gochujang chicken skewers on the egg, corn on the gasser, lobster in the homemade steam box over a turkey burner, but theres no pics =) had some squash for the blackstone but never got to it
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @fishlessman, I knew it was an old pic. But wait, you did all that cooking over the weekend while your Lacanche just sat there?! That's criminal!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman, I knew it was an old pic. But wait, you did all that cooking over the weekend while your Lacanche just sat there?! That's criminal!! =)
    stove at camp is electric coil elements, with the cast iron pans they last about a year before replacing the elements. thats criminal
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Sure is! I don't recall ever replacing a coil on mine. Oven element once I think. My stove has to be over 30 years old (this is the one that will do 725° for pizza)! =) I dread the day when it finally dies.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Sure is! I don't recall ever replacing a coil on mine. Oven element once I think. My stove has to be over 30 years old (this is the one that will do 725° for pizza)! =) I dread the day when it finally dies.
    i would just keep fixing the old one, the new ones are just junk and they are definitely not made for cast iron. the elements go, the bowl that surrounds them go, put a dutch oven on the back burner for frying and the plastic back warps.  just junk
    fukahwee maine

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I've been using my GrillGrates for shrimp and fish.  Nice grill marks, and they can't fall into the fire!

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I agree with using the Blackstone
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston