Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless steel chimney or Daisy wheel

I did an overnight cook over the weekend and during the night had a heavy rainfall which really affected my temperature. I'm just wondering who out there uses the stainless steel chimney over the daisy wheel that came with the egg and if you recommend buying it. Thanks for your response in advance.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The Smoke-Ware product does not fit over the daisy , but replaces it. Lots of yes and no opinions here - but I'm in the yes column!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    The Smoke-Ware product does not fit over the daisy , but replaces it. Lots of yes and no opinions here - but I'm in the yes column!
    OTOH - for less than $10 you can buy a galvanized or an aluminum roof cover which fits over the daisy.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I use the daisy wheel, havent had any issues in almost a decade 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    I have the smokeware cap on the large and minimax. Love it. Let it rain.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I got the SS Smokeware cap only because I destroyed my daisy wheel.  To be honest I haven’t noticed a difference in my temp holding while cooking so for me it just looks cool and was cheaper than replacing the DW and bought on Amazon.  I live in Southern California so rain had no bearing on my decision.  
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Only used the SS cap once, but like @Cornholio, I just think it's cool.  That, and I was a nervous wreck when it rained before.  Coke vs. Pepsi, Home Depot vs. Lowe's kind of thing, though, IMO.  
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Ridgehunter Welcome to the forum. 

Smokeware for me.  Worth it for the looks, and /or for the function.  Also won't rust.

Phoenix 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I wouldn't be able to do overnight cooks in the spring and summer without the Smokeware cap, unless I stayed up all night. Unpredictable torrential rain and roof-wrecking hail storms ruined a few overnighters before installing the Smokeware.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    edited July 2018
    I picked up my egg used and it didn’t come with the ceramic cap, just a very rusty daisy wheel. Switched to the smokeware and I’m very happy with it. 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Smokeware SS Cap.  Worth it.  Takes the worry out of the rain situation for me.
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Team Daisy Wheel here. Don’t see the point in SS Cap. I think you would have to have a literal monsoon to have any impact 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    OTOH - for less than $10 you can buy a galvanized or an aluminum roof cover which fits over the daisy.

Well damn, I've been posting here for 2 years and that's the first I have seen that. Great idea, thanks.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    kjs said:
    Team Daisy Wheel here. Don’t see the point in SS Cap. I think you would have to have a literal monsoon to have any impact 
    It's a must have in Southern Colorado. Think 1 - 2 inches of rain in less than 30 minutes. That rapid drenching is what causes so many flash floods around here.  

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    #TeamDaisyWheel
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RRP
    GrillSgt said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Well damn, I've been posting here for 2 years and that's the first I have seen that. Great idea, thanks.
    You're welcome! Here's a shot of it to give you a better perspective. These are for sale in the plumbing area at most any home supply store. One word of caution - that thing gets HOT - even at lo & slo temperatures - so never touch it bare handed!

• horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Just picked up the SS Smokeware cap last month and I love it.  Was it absolutely necessary, no.  But I do love the way it looks, the fact that it doesn't change settings when you open the top, the protection from the rain, and I feel like its easier to dial in an exact temperature on the low temp cooks. 
  • BigGreenBean
    SGH said:
     Coke vs. Pepsi
    I know it’s just one man talking here, but Coke wins by miles. 
    As does Home Depot.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    SGH said:
     Coke vs. Pepsi
    So is the Daisy Wheel Coke and Smokeware Cap is Pepsi or the other way around?
  • BigGreenBean
    SS cap Coke/Home Depot, Daisy Wheel inferior brands.  But we are way silly in the weeds here.

Crappy, thunderstormy weekend ahead here; hope you all fare better.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I’ve had both and use the daisy exclusively when I use a top. 
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Still #teamdaisywheel here but some folks with the SW Cap talk about putting that thing in the dishwasher? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    SGH said:
     Coke vs. Pepsi
    As does Home Depot.
    It's Dr. Pepper and Lowes.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Daisy
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dshaffes
    dshaffes Posts: 29
    Smokeware cap is great!
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    kjs said:
    Still #teamdaisywheel here but some folks with the SW Cap talk about putting that thing in the dishwasher? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
    Nope, but my wife does!
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    I just bought a Smokeware cap.... it absolutely poured this weekend when I had ribs on!  Can’t say for sure if daisy wheel would’ve failed but smokeware cap worked like a charm!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    horoegg said:
    SGH said:
     Coke vs. Pepsi
    So is the Daisy Wheel Coke and Smokeware Cap is Pepsi or the other way around?
    It’s just my humble opinion, but neither is better than other performance wise. In a blind temp test you would be very hard pressed to see any difference whatsoever in their performance. With that said, the Smokeware Cap is better at detouring water.  
    I persnally use a daisy wheel on my 3 Kamados. Why? They just seem to work fine in my opinion so no need to fix what ain’t broken. 
    With the above said, I think the Smokeware Cap looks better and detours water better. And those 2 reasons alone is its selling point for some. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.