Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Temperature

We had a farm in...not Africa but Florida. My father built a smoker from a commercial freezer and we enjoyed fantastic chicken/fish/pork/turkey and sometimes not often beef - he was not a fan of brisket. By removing the middle stantion he could do as many as 10(!!!) turkeys at the same time as Christmas presents, usually however a turkey a mess of fish   some pork were more than enough. He never used a thermometer only his experience meaning for most large cuts of poultry/meat resulted in an all night stand where his only timer/thermometer was a bottle of Wild Turkey - finish the bottle smoking is done. Obviously he was at a very low temperature for a long long time. I am thinking of a 5-6 pound rack of pork say 190F/90C wanting an internal 145F/62C Any ideas about time?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Sounds awesome! were you gifted and using the same Convert Smoker?  225 is about as low as I go for a smoke but prefer to run 275 Ish - I do not cook to time but a rack of ribs naked in that temp range 4-6 hours --cant really go by temp on ribs but feel
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • scruffy1
    scruffy1 Posts: 20
    lkapigian said:
    Sounds awesome! were you gifted and using the same Convert Smoker?  225 is about as low as I go for a smoke but prefer to run 275 Ish - I do not cook to time but a rack of ribs naked in that temp range 4-6 hours --cant really go by temp on ribs but feel
    Only gifted with a love for bourbon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i think you need to shooting for 195 internal plus, egg needs to be atleast 220 dome minimum and you are in the 5 to 7 hour zone for that.  never seen ribs that big here, usually closer to 3.5 pounds plus minus
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    He didn't say ribs.  Rack of pork is normally pork loin with the ribs still attached.  A 145ºF internal is appropriate for that cut.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    He didn't say ribs.  Rack of pork is normally pork loin with the ribs still attached.  A 145ºF internal is appropriate for that cut.
    you are right, I assumed as well---don't seemay racks with loin attached 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian