Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Question

Options
So last month I hit a milestone (turned 40) and my wife surprised me with a XLBGE...from Sam's.  I went to register the product and it specifically states "NOTICE: ANY BIG GREEN EGG PURCHASED FROM AN UNAUTHORIZED RESELLER SUCH AS WALMART, SAM’S CLUB OR COSTCO IS NOT COVERED BY THE BIG GREEN EGG WARRANTY. Please see warranty provisions."

Why are these retailers "Unauthorized"?  Fortunatley I am in a big enough city where I can go to a couple of different "Authorized" retailers if I need replacement parts right away.  Would it just automatically be an out of pocket expense?
XL BGE 
Saints fan stuck in Dallas

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'll take a stab at this but I think the reason they are unauthorized is that they are probably buying them from BGE in such bulk that Big Green Egg probably is not making hardly any profit from the sales and therefore filling any warranty claims would cause them to lose money. That's me just guessing though. As far as the replacement parts go. Yes if you are buying replacement parts and they are not under warranty it would be out of pocket. You may be able to get a relationship built with a local dealer where they would honor a warranty claim but again that's me just speculating.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately, any warranty issues would be out of pocket.
    And trust me, it's not cheap to replace ceramics.
    IMO, the money you saved at Sam's Club is not with it. You really have to look into the future. I have had my XL for about 12 years. Several parts replaced under warranty over the years. Sam's club apparently buys them and resells them as "lure" items. But are not an authorized seller. I will avoid this topic.
    The store manager stood in front of me and swore they were an authorized dealer.
    I pulled out my phone and said lets look it up. He immediately walked away and would not talk to me any more. I offered to call BGE from the store as he fled into the back of the store. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Welcome by the way and be sure to post up some photos when you start cooking.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you can get a local authorized dealer to come anywhere close to the price your wife paid, I would consider returning it to Sam’s.  And then purchase from the dealer.  

Assuming it is unused. 

And welcome aboard. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Is Sam’s at all like Costco in regards to taking things back?  If so then just wait until you have an issue if any at all and take it back.  Costco takes pretty much anything and everything back but not sure about Sam’s.

I do not agree with this BTW:

http://fortune.com/2018/01/11/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree/
  • rtgurley
    rtgurley Posts: 44
    Options
    I think my wife paid $1200 for the XL, Next, and side tables (EggMates).  I generally don't buy extended warranties, now I will rationalize that the price difference is because I didn't buy an extended warranty and just hope it doesn't bite me in the butt.  It has been used so returning it is not at option.  
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Is Sam’s at all like Costco in regards to taking things back?  If so then just wait until you have an issue if any at all and take it back.  Costco takes pretty much anything and everything back but not sure about Sam’s.

I do not agree with this BTW:

http://fortune.com/2018/01/11/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree/
    Even if they would take it back, OP is out of an egg at that point, as the whole thing will have to be returned. And then he has to go buy a new egg altogether with the refund, get it all set-up, etc. 

May not be worth it in the long run. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    rtgurley said:
    I think my wife paid $1200 for the XL, Next, and side tables (EggMates).  I generally don't buy extended warranties, now I will rationalize that the price difference is because I didn't buy an extended warranty and just hope it doesn't bite me in the butt.  It has been used so returning it is not at option.  

Slightly diff scenario. But about a month ago I was walking out of Costco and 2 unrelated guys were both bringing back heavily used Kamado Joe's. Nothing appeared wrong so I asked them why they were returning them. They said just because. Costco didn't hesitate taking them back and refunding their money. I would maybe check with Sam's on yours. If you ever get a cracked base and fire ring you are looking at 50% of that $1,200 to replace I would bet. It may be worth the hassle to try and do something now rather than later.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    rtgurley said:
    I don't know what the current pricing for the XL is like, but that sounds like what a dealer would sell it for, minus the shelves. 

See if a dealer will match or come close. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    edited July 2018
    Options
    rtgurley said:
    Sam's Club DOES have a warranty on the items they sell. But it's return only, for who know how long.
    They will not be able to help you with replacement parts. Even with it being used, I would calmly return it and push it to the top levels. They are not authorized dealers and the factory warranty is void. They should have honestly disclosed this. Tell them you will file with BBB for fraud. They are basically selling a like new, used item, and telling you it's factory covered by leaving all the warranty information in the packaging.
    Take it back.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cornholio
    Options
    rtgurley said:
    Just have them replace/refund it if you have any issues, looks like they do have a similar policy to Costco.  

“If you are not satisfied with the merchandise you purchased from Sam's Club, whether in-Club or online, we'll replace it or provide a refund at any time for most purchases”
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    rtgurley said:
    Just have them replace/refund it if you have any issues, looks like they do have a similar policy to Costco.  

“If you are not satisfied with the merchandise you purchased from Sam's Club, whether in-Club or online, we'll replace it or provide a refund at any time for most purchases”
    "for most purchases”...might depend on the manager on duty but well worth the effort to try.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Also, maybe do a clean burn before you return too maybe they wont realize it was used.  =)

• Cornholio
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Cornholio said:
    rtgurley said:

"for most purchases”...might depend on the manager on duty but well worth the effort to try.
    I just didn’t want to include the irrelevant language in my post, they listed stuff like electronics and tires in what they won’t take back or have limitations on returns.  I’m in no way saying abuse the system like the gal did with a friggin Christmas tree in the article I posted before.  I just think that if big box stores are going to buy in bulk maybe they are using the discount to process warranties in house under their own system.  Might not be able to get a replacement part but at least you can get a refund or full replacement.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Yep. See if it's possible to bring it back and buy from an authorized dealer. It's worth the effort. Especially when you see what BGE wants for a replacement cost
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Cornholio said:
    rtgurley said:

I just didn’t want to include the irrelevant language in my post, they listed stuff like electronics and tires in what they won’t take back or have limitations on returns.  I’m in no way saying abuse the system like the gal did with a friggin Christmas tree in the article I posted before.  I just think that if big box stores are going to buy in bulk maybe they are using the discount to process warranties in house under their own system.  Might not be able to get a replacement part but at least you can get a refund or full replacement.  
    I agree with you completely.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It's not like you bought a used egg and just found out there is no warranty. You (your wife) bought a new product at a reputable business, not out the back of some guy's car. Over the life of the egg you will almost certainly need a replacement firebox, many people need multiple. Much less frequently, a replacement base is needed. The base and firebox will be expensive. Even though it is used I would see if they will take it back.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    It's not like you bought a used egg and just found out there is no warranty. You (your wife) bought a new product at a reputable business, not out the back of some guy's car. Over the life of the egg you will almost certainly need a replacement firebox, many people need multiple. Much less frequently, a replacement base is needed. The base and firebox will be expensive. Even though it is used I would see if they will take it back.
    My original XL has seen 2 new bases, 1 new dome, 3 fireboxes and 1 fire ring.
    All happily covered at no charge. 
    I agree with you 100%.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas