Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Your worst auto repair disaster - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
@alaskanassasin is currently pulling the dash out of his truck, and it kinda made me shudder; and then, think about the worst repair experiences I've had, thought it might be an interesting thread.
I needed to replace the muffler on my 1970, baby-****-green Ford Maverick (the Babemobile!  not.)  I removed the clamps, soaked the joint between the front of the muffler and the exhaust pipe with Liquid Wrench, and started to twist.  It came loose!  :triumph: Uh, no it didn't, the rear of the exhaust pipe broke off (rusted thru, this was '70's 'murican quality) :bawling: .  I tried to remove that section of exhaust pipe, same thing, it broke the next section!  This happened all the way up to the exhaust header, d'OH!!  
Got all new pipes, worked backwards from the engine block, sliding pipes together and tightening the U-bolts to crimp them in place.  Finally, Finished!  I grabbed the rear of the muffler pipe and gave it a good tug, and the whole system swung backwards?!?!?  Discovered the second pipe had slipped out of the first pipe about 3/4 of the way, and I didn't see it as I tightened the U-bolt!  :bawling::bawling::bawling:   So, I had to pull everything apart again, beginning from the rear (and apparently I hadn't tightened any of the U bolts enough); laid each pipe on the cement driveway and pounded the "crimps" in the pipes out with a steel rod and a sledgehammer.  Said words I didn't know.  Finally got it all back together, and no further issues with that car.  And this was all done on my back, on a concrete driveway (Dad didn't have a creeper, he got one for Christmas, from me, that year), at least it wasn't January.  Oof-dah!  
Also had a hideous time changing out my rear shocks, but that's for another time.  What's your worst experience?    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I had a 1975 Jeep CJ5.  It had a curious gimmick of the headlights blinking on & off when you turned on the lights.  It only happened after the car warmed up.  Electrical problems are a major suck!  It wasn't the switch, but I narrowed down the problem to something behind the dash.  After tearing it apart three or four times, I finally fixed the problem.  I lost control on an icy road, rolled it and it was totaled.  No more problem. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I took my Mercedes GLE 350 to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and it took a day longer than they initially told me. Had to drive the stupid C-series loaner another day!

Arrrrruuuugggghhhhh!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I installed Highjacker air shocks and shackles on my 1972 Rally Nova and pumped them up as high as they would go. Then added a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system with Thrush Glasspack mufflers. The 2 1/2 inch pipes couldn't be wrapped through the usual route so they hanged straight under the body all the way past the rear axle. It sounded like a grumbling beast and looked like a nasty dragster. Looking back on it, I turned it from a nice-looking chick magnet into a redneck chariot. 

I found out the hard way that air shocks, high speed and tight corners don't mix. Hit a fence row and a ditch at around 65mph. I wasn't wearing a seat. I walked away without a scratch but the ghost of my Nova rests on a lonely stretch of highway near West Lafayette, Indiana.

Stupid is what stupid does!!!  :s
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    Trail of guts  =)  going through the different settings and checking mode doors before reinstalling.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Trail of guts  =)  going through the different settings and checking mode doors before reinstalling.

Impressive. Very impressive if everything works when you're done.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I was around 18, I bought a '73 Vega GT cheap.  The cast aluminum block was notoriously prone to cylinder wear and they would burn oil like an ungapped drip pan under a pork butt, maybe a quart every 800 miles complete with the bad smoke.

So I pulled the engine, took it apart and sent the block and head in to the machine shop where they over-bored it and sleeved the block with steel.  The head got cleaned with new valve sleeves/guides.  I bought new pistons and rings to work with the sleeves and painstakingly built the engine.

Since I didn't have an engine hoist, I put the short block in (one person could heave the short block in place, it wasn't very heavy).  Then put the head on, timing chain, etc.

As a vanity, I put a racing style air cleaner on the carb that went together with a wing nut.

Started it up, ran perfectly after adjusting the timing and points.

My little brother hung around like annoying little brothers often do.  He was very interested in the project, and took the air cleaner off and (without telling me) dropped the wing nut into the carb.

I thought he had just misplace it, so got another wing nut and put the air filter back on.  Started it up and heard the wing nut get chewed up by the engine.

Still ran, but with about 60% of the power it should have had.

Shortly thereafter I bought another car and it was the hand-me-down to my two younger brothers, we had it for a couple more years until my next younger brother (not the same one) drove it into a lake where the tow truck we hired to pull it out got stuck and an even larger tow truck was needed.  I don't remember it running again after that, and I think it was sold for parts or something.

All this after I painted it metallic black Imron with a white GT stripe on it, and had blended in a fiberglass hood scoop.  I know, kids do stupid vanity crap and it's pointless.

Options
    Another epic disaster that was my fault:  I was helping my littlest brother rebuild the differential in his 280Z.  I think I replaced the planetary drive gears and didn't do the shim job right. 

We got it together and back in the car.  Drove it around a little, seemed fine. 

So then I revved the engine to 6000 and dropped the clutch.  The differential exploded.  Major bummer.  Maybe it wasn't ready for a stress test, or maybe it needed more of a break in time.  Learned to really pay attention to specs and shims.

Speaking of Z differentials, one of mine had a cracked housing and the U-joints on the axles were going out (if you know anything about these cars, it's a constant battle dealing with the axles) I told my parents I wanted a new rear end for my birthday. 

Once my birthday came around, they ushered me outside and there was a wrecker that had the entire rear end from a junk-yard 260Z hanging from the back.  I was very happy.
    Options
    Got to love family... right?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Got to love family... right?
    I don't remember if I beat his ass or just emotionally tortured him for years afterwards.  Probably both.  That was a long time ago.
    Options
    typical response to my long posts:

tl;dr
    dmchicago said:
    I took my Mercedes GLE 350 to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and it took a day longer than they initially told me. Had to drive the stupid C-series loaner another day!

Arrrrruuuugggghhhhh!
    the struggle is real my friend. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I’m 15 yr old with my first car.  A ‘66 mustang convertible L6 POS.  Loved that car. Doing my first oil change by myself.  Pouring the new oil in and the neighbor girl from across the street walks over.  She’s a couple of yrs older, blonde, nice looking to a 15 yr old boy. 

She says, “What are you doing?”

me:  “Changing the oil in my car.”

Her:  “Shouldn’t you put the drain plug back in first?”

dammit.  Not a disaster, just a couple of quarts of oil, but embarrassing. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    When I was younger my friend asked if I could stop over at his friends house to help him fix his brakes. My friend was house sitting for his friends while they were on vacation. (His friend had a garage which neither one of us had at the time) So my friend started to remove the lug nuts on his car and he somehow stripped one of the lug nuts down to a circle. He got all pissed and quit. Moved his car out of his friends garage and parked it next to his friends truck. He got out of his car and jumped in his friends truck to move it back into the garage. When moving his friends truck he floored it to either show off or was still mad about the rounded lug nut. When flooring it in reverse he didn't quite turn his friends truck far enough out of the way and ran into his own car. (I'm laughing when I'm typing this. It was so damn funny) He scraped the whole side of his car and dented it. While messing up his friends front bumper. He gets out of the truck and says something like, "That's not what I wanted to happen". Still to this day I give him crap and how he can't handle driving a truck. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Options
    @mlc2013 , great story and pics.  What bike are you riding now?  I learned on a Yamaha FZ-6 and now ride a BMW R1200GS, mostly for the leg room (I'm getting older and have a 37" inseam).  Both bikes are capable of more performance than I am, so no biggie.  

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Botch said:
    @mlc2013 , great story and pics.  What bike are you riding now?  I learned on a Yamaha FZ-6 and now ride a BMW R1200GS, mostly for the leg room (I'm getting older and have a 37" inseam).  Both bikes are capable of more performance than I am, so no biggie.  
    Bicycles, I never road a motorcycle There is just to much traffic in NY for me to feel safe on one I see a biker and car crash every week during the summer here and figured thats not for me

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Botch
    Options
    ^^^ My bad.  Don't know that a bicycle would be any safer, unless where you live has sufficient bike lanes.  

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Botch said:
    ^^^ My bad.  Don't know that a bicycle would be any safer, unless where you live has sufficient bike lanes.  
    I mostly ride off road in designated bike trails and occasionally early morning road rides only where bike lanes are avail

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • PhilXman
    PhilXman Posts: 18
    Options
    I had an old 67 bronco when I was in my early 20s. It had some transmission issues. A mechanic told me to bring him the old 3 speed because he thought the problem was a synchro gear. I KNOW 0 about cars. I was successful in pulling it myself but was pretty much bathed in gear oil. I think I can still smell it on me today! (30 years later). 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    I advanced the timing a bit too far on a built 400 smallblock. Destroyed 5 racing pistons. Tore it back down and started over. 

It took three different oil pans, five different gaskets, and six tries to get a single drop oil leak out of my smallblock 350. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Our next door neighbors are two retired college professors both with PhDs. They have two sons. The oldest was never into motorcycles but nuts about bikes. After he graduated from college then he took a job of his dreams...a bycyle delivery boy in the heart of WallStreet. Yes you read that RIGHT! A degree in business and now being a delivery boy on a bicycle! 

After a mere 38 days riding he got hit by a taxi and that ended his dream job! 

Epilogue..he went back to college and now has a PhD just like his parents! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Not a big deal, but you may enjoy laughing at me.

My Suburban has a power window problem.  Dealer wanted almost a grand, and my frugality kicked in.  Bought the parts, took it all apart and stopped for the day.  Then the heat kicked in and I stubbornly refuse to do anything unnecessary outside during our ridiculous heat (PHX)  So I've been driving like this for over a month, and will continue until at least the end of September.  I'm now "that guy" .  No doubt I'll also forget how it all goes back together.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    blasting said:

My Suburban has a power window problem.  Dealer wanted almost a grand, and my frugality kicked in.  Bought the parts, took it all apart and stopped for the day.  Then the heat kicked in and I stubbornly refuse to do anything unnecessary outside during our ridiculous heat (PHX)  So I've been driving like this for over a month, and will continue until at least the end of September.  I'm now "that guy" .  No doubt I'll also forget how it all goes back together.

Sounds like a 2am project 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    blasting said:

Looks like the passenger side and as long as the window is up, in that weather who cares about the inside...(either side). 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Too many to list,been an MB tech for over 30 years.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I had an F150.  My passenger auto door locks died.  Pulled the door apart, pulled the auto lock unit out.  It was a sealed plastic unit with a few bond spots.  Drilled out the bonds and traced problem to the little motor.  Looked like a slot car motor.  Pulled the motor apart and found out an internal plate resistor had a resistance that was too high.  I put the plate resistor in a vise and squeezed it till the resistance was at the bottom of the resistance spec.  Reassembled the whole unit and it worked like a champ.  Saved $175.  Took about 3hrs and cost nothing.  1 year later driver lock died.  Same issue, same fix.  Locks worked till I sold the truck 8 years later.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    hahaha
    Options
    blasting said:

Sounds like a 2am project 
     Good point.  2am temp is only 95.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Yeah, I was getting up at 4 just to be able to be outside a bit.  Now in full hunker down mode for a couple months.

You still riding ponies at high noon?

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    blasting said:

Yeah, I was getting up at 4 just to be able to be outside a bit.  Now in full hunker down mode for a couple months.

You still riding ponies at high noon?

Nope, too hot now.  Ride until about 1030, then head back out around 630 .... today was nice after the storms.  Went with my daughter.