Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow burn?

Options
So I was reading someone's post about doing a slow burn for cleaning the egg and was wondering about how to go about it. I would assume I would need to take the splitter and grill plate out and allow it to run for a period of time. I did do a burn out of charcoal a few weeks ago where I opened it all the way up and allowed all the charcoal to he burned up so I could clean out the egg better. So I'm just looking for some advice on what the best method of a slow burn for cleaning. I think this cleaning will solve my hood sticking problem I've been having but not sure how I should go about the slow burn.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For cleaning, you need temps high enough to burn off all the organic material that has built up in the egg.  600ºF will be hot enough.  Many like to get temps much higher, but it is not necessary to let the fire get out of control.  The hotter temps will take less time to clean, but the charcoal will burn up faster.  Just keep the temps in the 600-700º range and let it go until the charcoal burns up.  

I don't know what a "slow burn" means in the context of cleaning. Lower temps will not burn up all the organics.  I suppose some could consider 600º a slow burn considering many think clean burns should be over 1000º.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Not sure about the post your taking about, but my burns take however long for what lump is left maybe a few hours...I don’t let mine go nuclear but rather upper 500 range...I put daisey wheel in, leave plate setter and grate in as well....gets the gunk off well enough for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MnMmaster
    MnMmaster Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks I think I had the name wrong in my head and after reading the comments I remember now that it is clean burn. I will definitely  do this once I'm done cooking.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Unless you have crud flakes falling off the dome into your food a clean burn isn’t really necessary. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Get some use out of the burn. Do a pizza cook at around 500-600 degrees or so with the platesetter in. Let is sit there for an hour or so before cooking the pizza. Cook the pizza, enjoy, and let the charcoal burn up. Come back the next day and you will see that the inside of your egg minus the dome is almost back to factory color.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.