Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked fire ring

I have done a couple high heat cooks recently & noticed today that my fire ring was cracked in half.  Can anyone tell me who I should contact to see if this is something BGE will replace?  Anyone else have a similar experience?  I’ve had my large since 2012 & never had any problems.  Not sure what caused it to crack.  I’ve done lots of high heat cooks in the past with no issues.  Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    You can contact your dealer for replacement if you are the original owner. It doesn’t affect cooking at all and many just leave it as is. You just have a fire ring with two expansion joints. 
  • It will be a warranty item.  Contact your dealer
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • I’ve had 5 or 6 do that-including the current one. They will replace under warranty but I just let them roll until they break into more than one piece. They can last years with a crack like you have. I think the straight line cracks like you have act as an expansion joint and keep them from cracking more (just like the one they purposely cut into the fire box in your pic) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks for the responses!  Not too worried about it if it doesn’t affect the performance.  Sounds like a pretty common occurrence.  Understandable at such high temperatures.  
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,084
    edited July 2018
    I had one crack early on and got a replacement that I stored in the garage until we moved and I found it so I finally replaced the broken one with the new one which on its second cook cracked in the same way as the original

its nice having one that’s not broken but if they can’t survive a pizza cook then I’d just ride with the one you have and keep your warranty replacement in a safe place 
  • I've had my BGE about a year - did a high heat clean burn about a week ago.  Put a pork butt in this morning and notice the same thing.  Couldn't figure out what would have caused it, but the "expansion joint" concept makes a lot of sense. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    had a cracked FR for more than a year before I finally got it replaced.
  • My egg is only 2 months old and my ring has a crack in it. It’s only one crack so I figured I’d just be careful and get around to a claim when I get time so I will have a backup when needed. 
    Rhode Island
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,218
    Mine broke after about 15 months. Warranty.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    My Fire Ring cracked years ago. If it breaks into three pieces, I'll make a warranty claim.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL