Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting for pizza

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
So...kind of strange question (and hoping for a response in time for my fourth of July cook):

I am doing pizza (well, actually calzone) and want to start the fire somewhat quickly. I have starter cubes and could use those but it would take a while to get up to temp.

What I propose is to light a half chimney full of charcoal and dump it in the center of a nearly full firebox.

I've never done that before and don't want to allow the fire to get out of control--aiming for 450°-500° on the stone (I have an infrared laser). The pizza stone is elevated about three inches into the dome and the plate setter is in place.

Is this idea feasible? Any advice as to what dome temp I should shoot for? Any cautionary tales?

Any advice will be welcome.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can definitely do that.  Keep an eye on the temp and start closing the vents down within about 100° of your desired temp.  Good luck and glad to see you and your egg coming to life.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DWFII
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You can definitely do that.  Keep an eye on the temp and start closing the vents down within about 100° of your desired temp.  Good luck and glad to see you and your egg coming to life.  
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it's been a journey. I have to say that what with the crack in the base and all, I treat it like...well...an egg. I don't move it around much and when I do I use the mounting hardware for the shelves rather than the handle or even pushing/pulling the nest.

That said it seems to be stable and tight (no air leaks) and I am happy as can be...for as long as it lasts. Heck, from what people here have told me, it may last longer than I do.
    Instagram
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I don’t see an issue, but I’m not sure it’s going to speed things up all that much.  The platesstter and stone remain large thermal masses, and it will still take a good amount of time for them both to come up to temp.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I like getting to 700 with a raised stone which I cool with a wet rag right before putting on the pie. Rotate every minute. Done between 3-4. This temp bakes the top nice 
  • DWFII
    Options
    I like getting to 700 with a raised stone which I cool with a wet rag right before putting on the pie. Rotate every minute. Done between 3-4. This temp bakes the top nice 
    Thank you...Temp on the stone?
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    I don’t see an issue, but I’m not sure it’s going to speed things up all that much.  The platesstter and stone remain large thermal masses, and it will still take a good amount of time for them both to come up to temp.
    I put the stone and the PS in almost immediately. The dome therms says 480° which it reached in about 20 min and has been holding for a half hour.
    Instagram
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Thank you...Temp on the stone?
    I don’t measure just when water stops bubbling and instead just steams as you wipe it and get excellent results with this method where the bottom is well done and the top looks like it went under a broiler to finish 
  • DWFII
    Options
    I like the idea--something I am gonna try.

Thanks.
    Instagram
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    This is probably too late, but I would dump the chimney of coals into an empty Egg, then pour the new lump on top.  Heat rises, and you'll light more lump, faster and more evenly, that way (and probably get rid of the VOCs quicker, too).  
    Also part of the reason I abandoned the cubes/squares and just use an oiled paper towel under the KAB to light.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @DWFII - Am so glad you are getting to enjoy your new/old egg and sharing your success. Keep the cooks and pictures coming. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DWFII
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @DWFII - Am so glad you are getting to enjoy your new/old egg and sharing your success. Keep the cooks and pictures coming. 
    Thank you...And thanks for helping me rescue this Egg.

PS...the calzone was delicious--my wife's sourdough is over forty years old  and she's got pizza down pat. Truly I've never tasted better pizza and I have loved pizza for over 50 years.

Some of it is in the cooking, though. =)
    Instagram
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Those look really nice!  Congrats on a job well done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95