Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FYI Kingsford twin pack 18.6 LBS for $9.99 at Home Depot

Options
Not sure at all Home Depot's but mine 8 miles west of Chicago had it on sale today. I like to use it in my MM for quick cooks.
Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    You use Charcoal Briquettes in your green egg?
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    Well in my mini Max, the XL no way. If i'm just grilling some chicken breast or hamburgers, sure...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Lowe's has Royal Oak on sale for $4 a bag thru July 4th.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I use it in my weber. Like right now! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• BGEChicago
    Options
    Ha! I fill up the charcoal chimney, light er up and I'm cooking in 15 minutes, yeah the Kingsford produces a lot of ash but I vacuum  it out with a Dewalt cordless vac, not conventional but works for the family  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
     yeah the Kingsford produces a lot of ash 
    Because one of the prevolant ingrediants is coal fly ash........and limestone.  There's a reason briquettes are so cheap, they are filled heavy stuff that doesn't burn.  
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I used a few dump truck loads of fly ash to make the road base for my driveway. Once it rained it set up like concrete 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I used a few dump truck loads of fly ash to make the road base for my driveway. Once it rained it set up like concrete 
    There's a Quikcrete plant near one of the big coal powerplants here in STL for that reason.  The other big coal plant one just got notice from the EPA, they can't dump that stuff in their ponds anymore. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    When Kingsford Ash gets wets it also sets up like concrete.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Because one of the prevolant ingrediants is coal fly ash........and limestone.  There's a reason briquettes are so cheap, they are filled heavy stuff that doesn't burn.  
    There's coal in some Kingsford products but there is not likely any "coal fly ash" as in ash from a coal fired powerplant.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There's coal in some Kingsford products but there is not likely any "coal fly ash" as in ash from a coal fired powerplant.
    I'm not in a position to comment on this. However, I want to Google "coal fly ash" tomorrow at some point and this comment will be my reminder.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    It was like powder when it was dumped, then they poured the gravel on top. It rained a couple days later and my driveway is like concrete now. Even torrential rain doesnt budge the gravel. My drive is almost 700’ with a couple hills. 

There is a coal power plant (lake of egypt in southern IL) 3 or so miles from my house 

• BGEChicago
    Options
    Umm, the main Charcoal I use is your product....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Never found a battery in a bag of K.
    Just sayin'.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of the holiday sale. It's time to stock up again,
    I usually buy 14 bags when it's on sale.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Briquettes are ideal for quick grilling, cheap, easy to get ready and literally made for the kettle. 20 to 30 wing flappers and drummers out of the Sous Vide, browned and crisped on the Weber over a couple of dozen briquettes.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    usually lowes/home depot have that sale every labor day, memorial day, and july 4th

memorial day this year I picked up 6 pf them. use on the weber. back when I had a bge I would use if I was out of lump. as long as not instant light it will work. hopefully I will have another bge come fall/winter and I whatever kingsford I have left I will burn through on the egg
    Boom
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use them in my bge chiminea for quick use.
    Flint, Michigan