Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low country boil

Options
2»

Comments

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    edited June 2018
    Options
    No worries about the hijacked thread.  I would expect the gulf to show up a guy from Indiana trying to create southern goodness . Nice cook @nolaegghead.   My next cook will have the crab legs
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    We hosted a shrimp boil a couple weeks ago and some less than savory guests (my in-laws) asked for butter and sour cream and commenced making fully loaded baked potatoes with their small red potatoes. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    Wooderson said:
    Fingerling potatoes, shrimp, corn on the cob, onion, andouille sausage, turkey smoked sausage, lemon.  Old Bay seasoning, butter, fresh garlic, lemon juice, cracked pepper and seav salt and some water. 350, indirect, bring to a boil until potatoes are tender.  Serve with warm wheat bread to mop up the juice . Welcome to flavor country.

Every one of these I have been to, the corn is always soggy.  Is it supposed to be that way?  I would rather have it out the microwave than soggy.
    Also, it seems many people put the shrimp in way too early and over cook them.
    When I do it, I get the pot rolling, put in the potatoes, wait 10 minutes and put in the corn and sausage, wait 10 minutes and put in the shrimp, wait 2 minutes and pull the basket out. I typically use 16-20 count shrimp, so size may make a difference. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Great cook @Wooderson.  I'd hit that all night long.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SOP around here is to buy frozen corn and throw that in at the end to act as "ice cubes" to cool down the boil so the "soak" doesn't overcook everything.  The other technique is to hose down the sides of the pot and stir.  I've dropped a heat exchanger coil in the boil and run water through it.  The soak goes on quite a wile with crawfish and crabs....taste every 10 minutes until the salt level is good.  The heat will be a function of your spice relative to the salinity of the boil.  You can also over-salt and over-spice the boil and add ice.
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thought i might add a little historical perspective for the Low Country Boil (originated in SC and referred to as Frogmore Stew locally). I was fortunate to grow up (many may challenge that this has occurred) near Beaufort (also knows as Beaufort stew) through my early years. The base has probably been tweaked with the addition of added ingredients, modifications to the seasonings etc. through expansion. At the end of the day....the concept is sound. You might find the links below interesting.....I had never heard of the frozen corn trick Nola mentions above. We all learn things here ;)

http://hiddencharleston.com/southern-cuisine-history-frogmore-stew/

http://www.wideopeneats.com/low-country-boil/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Wooderson great post. I've been back and forth on what I wanted to do for the 4th of July and I think you just changed my direction.

@nolaegghead your backyard has the all the tell-tale signs of a madman. But I will hand it to you, you can throw a hell of a shindig.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    We hosted a shrimp boil a couple weeks ago and some less than savory guests (my in-laws) asked for butter and sour cream and commenced making fully loaded baked potatoes with their small red potatoes. 

They from up north?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    SonVolt said:

They from up north?
    up here we use the 2 pound bugs for the boil, maybe his guests didnt see the point of 2 ounce bugs =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:

They from up north?

North Alabama.  I can't begin to describe how ridiculous a golf ball sized loaded baked potato looks next to a plate of boiled shrimp, corn and sausage. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Another tip with these:  On the soak step, drop a pound or two of butter in the boil.   It will melt and float on top.  When you pull out the food it will coat it and make shrimp and crawfish easier to peel, and add an extra level of flavor that complements the spice.
    Options
    Another tip with these:  On the soak step, drop a pound or two of butter in the boil.   It will melt and float on top.  When you pull out the food it will coat it and make shrimp and crawfish easier to peel, and add an extra level of flavor that complements the spice.

Explain the soak step... is it just so the seasonings have more time to "brine" the food? Do you also do this with quick cooking shrimp?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Explain the soak step... is it just so the seasonings have more time to "brine" the food? Do you also do this with quick cooking shrimp?
    It's not the ideal way to do shrimp.  Throw them in last and cool down quick.  It's really better to do them separately if you have crawfish or crab.  The problem with shrimp is the shells don't peel well when they overcook.

Fortunately, mine peeled well and the seasoning was just right.  The crabs could have soaked longer.

With crawfish, I'll throw in the potatoes, garlic, onions, citrus, bring to a boil and let it go 10 minutes, then dump the crawfish, sausage and crab in and bring to a boil.  Let it boil about a minute and turn off.  At that point add corn and stuff that cooks quick like mushrooms, brussels sprouts.  Start cooling it down with a hose.  Typically takes 30 -45 minutes to soak to get the enough salt and spice in the meat.

You put shrimp in a boil bag (net) and pull them out early.
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:

It's not the ideal way to do shrimp.  Throw them in last and cool down quick.  It's really better to do them separately if you have crawfish or crab.  The problem with shrimp is the shells don't peel well when they overcook.

Fortunately, mine peeled well and the seasoning was just right.  The crabs could have soaked longer.

With crawfish, I'll throw in the potatoes, garlic, onions, citrus, bring to a boil and let it go 10 minutes, then dump the crawfish, sausage and crab in and bring to a boil.  Let it boil about a minute and turn off.  At that point add corn and stuff that cooks quick like mushrooms, brussels sprouts.  Start cooling it down with a hose.  Typically takes 30 -45 minutes to soak to get the enough salt and spice in the meat.

Interesting. Could you just salt water brine the seafood the night before like you would a turkey? Guess that wouldn't help with the other seasonings though... 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Interesting. Could you just salt water brine the seafood the night before like you would a turkey? Guess that wouldn't help with the other seasonings though... 
    You throw the crabs and crawfish in live.  In my case, the crabs looked dead in that pile but they were just pulled out of an ice chest and could barely move.