Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short and Baby Back ribs at the same time

Options
Morning, folks.

I've had a request for ribs tonight. One of us wants BB pork ribs, the other beef short ribs.

Why not both she says?

So, assuming 2 or 3 bone in short ribs and 1 rack of baby backs, should I put the pork ribs on first for the expected 5 hour cook then put the beef ribs on one hour later?

Or just say F-it and put them both on at the same time.

TIA.

Happy Saturday!
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I’d go same time, you can always pull something early and hold but rushing a cook at the end sucks.  If they’re the thick, fatty beef ribs then they can stay on for a while, they don’t easily overcook or dry out.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’ve done them twice at the same time. Once some beef fat spilled over the drip pan a little and gave the pork a funky flavor. 

Make sure you do them on the same level. 

The pork ribs seemed to always get done first. 

What kind of wood are you planning on using?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Cherry and pecan. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Given the cook time variables, another vote for firing up at the same time.  I generally see the beef short ribs take longer than the BB's.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    No matter what, sounds like a great meal awaits!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Good eats await. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Chacaron
    Chacaron Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks great! I plan on doing the same thing but I have a whole plate of 4 uncut short ribs. I'm definitely going to be putting the beef on first for about 2 hours and then add the pork spare ribs.