Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Need tips to change out a shelf on a large green egg?

wheels37wheels37 Posts: 1
My neighbor has a large green egg that she has never covered.  I am trying to get it ready for her to use.  I changed out one of the shelves but am having a difficult time with the 2nd shelf.  The nuts on the shelves have a lot of rust on them.  I sprayed WD40 on them, grabbed my nut driver and put some muscle into it.  I got the nut to turn but the screw turns with it.  I took the top of the green egg off with the steel belt attached.  The screws that stick out of the metal band that are designed for the shelves have no head on the back side.  It is like a brad.   Any idea on how I get the nut off so I can change the 2nd shelf.

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 2,442
    Hacksaw or dremel with a cutoff wheel. You can those bolts from a dealer or maybe fasten-all. 
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • chuckytheeggheadchuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    ColtsFan said:
    Hacksaw or dremel with a cutoff wheel. You can those bolts from a dealer or maybe fasten-all. 
    Yep. Cut them off and get new. 
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,047
    There’s post on here somewhere regarding the threaded studs for the bands. 
    Temple, TX   XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,983
    Sounds like a fun project to tackle

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95