Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Paella

blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
This became one of my favorite cooks last summer.  Figure I'd write down the recipe.  Paella is awesome, but a bit of work. The key is having everything prepped ahead of time, so that once you start cooking you can stay at the grill and keep it all going.

Reading about paella on the egg turned up a lot of stuff about what size pan fits in which egg.  In the end, why bother?  Just cook with the lid open, raised direct.  I use a very fancy setup: three patio paver bricks, with the stock grid on top.  Fill the firebox nearly full with charcoal, close the bottom vent, and get the fire going.  The egg stays open the whole time.

This recipe is for a 15" pan.  Feeds 6 adults.  For my 13" pan, I use 1.5 cups of rice and 4.5 cups of broth.

2 cups of bomba rice
6 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth.
1 lb loose chorizo
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 tomatoes, diced
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
vegetables and proteins: to your liking

Heat a cup of broth and steep a pinch of saffron.  Then add the rest of the broth and keep it warm.

Once the fire is going, set the pan on. 
  • brown the chorizo and remove, leaving the oil behind.
  • brown any proteins that you like browned, ie skin-on chicken thighs, and remove.  (I leave the seafood uncooked for now.)
  • saute the onions, about 5 minutes.  add the garlic, saute another minute or two.  Add the tomato and stir.  let this cook until reduced.
  • Add the bomba rice, stir to coat, and cook for a few minutes. 
  • Add back as much chorizo as you like
  • add the chicken broth and stir
  • Add back in big pieces of meat that will take awhile to cook, like the chicken
  • Vegetables and small pieces of protein can be added towards the end.  I add shrimp and scallops and vegetables when the liquid is starting to fall below the rice, and I push them in so that liquid comes up the sides of them.
I rotate the pan during the cooking because my egg is a bit un level.

A few thoughts:
  • the loose chorizo for me is a must.  Adds a huge amount of flavor.
  • I originally sauteed all of the meats/seafood in the beginning, and added the seafood to the paella in the beginning.  But cooking them the entire time the rice cooked turned them into rubber.    So chicken legs/thighs go in early, seafood goes in at the end, as do most vegetables.
  • I'm not Spanish.  This probably isn't close to authentic.  I don't grate the tomato and onion for the sofrito, it's just a hassle.  I haven't perfected the soccarat, either.
Cheers!
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    MUH-MUH-MUH-MAI-PAELLA!!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Looks great! One of my favorite things to cook in the summer. One change I made was ditching the official "Paella pan" for a 17" Lodge skillet. Better searing, better "socrat", better everything.  I know the thin sheet steel pan is traditional, but it tends to scorch if you're not careful.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Quite stellar - cook, presentation, recipe , and tips. Very very nice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    That looks super good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice brother.  Great documentation.  No sofrito is heresy of course  ;). Looks and sounds great. +1 on the chorizo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great writeup and insights.  Nailed the cook.  Congrats on the banquet and thanks for taking the time to document the process.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks fantastic!

I've only had paella once, cooked by a son-in-law, and it was wonderful.  Sure looked like a lotta work, though...  I admire you, and others here who make it.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    @blind99 Thanks for sharing!!  Great cook.. Now you've inspired me to go buy a paella pan!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you for sharing a simple no nonsense approach.  Time to pull the pans out of the garage and do it again!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Wow.  Chorizo paella.  Brilliant.  I've never cooked paella before.  Is that a personal modification - or is that just a normal variant of how it is done?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Thanks for sharing all the details.   Looks delicious & I’m sure everyone enjoyed. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Foghorn a lot of recipes call for slices of dry cured chorizo. Some use the ground stuff. I find the ground stuff adds lots of flavor. My Grover used to see loose ground chorizo but no more. This time I used Johnsonville and removed it from the casings. I also sampled some of the “tube” chorizo. Not recommended, it burns quickly and is too pasty and mushy. 

Pretty sure they make it from the leftovers on the floor anyhow:

@The_Stache go for it! The pans should run less than $25. I found my larger one at cost plus world market. And check out @sciaggie’s threads on paella, they are masterful. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle