Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd egg but different then 4 year old egg

I got my 2nd large egg setup last week for the holiday. First thing I noticed as I started to unpack was I got the bigger 3" thermometer (yea!) Huge difference one inch makes for these old eyes. Then the bands were not like my older 4 year old egg, biggest thing is the hinge and springs. totally different. 

So when did this happen? I'm assuming the new bands are going to be better? What was wrong with the older style? Should I be worried with my older egg?

I bought the larger 3" thermometer for my older egg after spinning the original 2" dial one to many times (walked away warming it up with vent wide open and top off). I found it online and was so impressed with it the first time I used it. So much more easier to use and see. This was months ago, glad to see BGE making it a standard... I think I paid about $50 for it. Might have to ask for another one for fathers day for my small egg to make all three look the same. lol

Anyhow, I hope I don't regret not getting the XL to go with the large and small. I went back and forth but bottom line is all my accessories I already have will fit the new egg as well. I have an adjustable rig that allows me to get 4 full rib racks on without cutting them in half or using a vertical rack. The XL would hold even more but I would have to again buy the larger adjustable rig. I think if I needed more, I can always fire up my second egg. Looking at the XL firebox, it looked huge! I think I can fill both large eggs with what it would take to fill the XL. So fuel usage might be a wash. Anyhow, sorry for the rambling. 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Yeah, the new bands are better.  I just switched out the bands on my old large and love the new ones.  I am not sure when they made the switch, but I would guess it was 102 years ago.  I know someone on here will have it down to the very day they made the switch.  I'm just not that guy.

I only use the 3" smokeware thermos now.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    BGEs are like cars, every year there is something new. Personal opinion but I would have gone for the XL. There might be days when you can use any one of your three eggs to handle the cooking. The XL will use less fuel when cooking full than two larges cooking almost full. To each his own, the good news the new LBGE works just the same as the old LBGE, have fun. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Depends on your cooking needs.  I find that I need two different temps more often than one large area.  More fuel effecient to run two larges than a large and an xl.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
     Huge difference one inch makes

That's what she said.
    NOLA
  • I got my 2nd large egg setup last week for the holiday. First thing I noticed as I started to unpack was I got the bigger 3" thermometer (yea!) Huge difference one inch makes for these old eyes. 

You make sure you are eating a healthy amount of carrots.
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia