Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing Spatchcock Chicken + beer reviews

Options
This is my second post and first time cooking chicken in the BGE and first time doing Spatchcock Chicken.

I read many recipes, mostly for the technique which I thought would be rocket-science, but is not. I was worried because the wife wanted beer-can chicken but I insisted on the spatchcock chicken because I think that the skin will come crispier than the beer-can recipe.

Thankfully it came out amazing: tender, juicy, smoky and just the right amount of seasoning. I used the Green Egg Nation app's recipe for Applewood Smoked Chicken Thighs for the dry rub.

The ingredientes used were the following:

• 2 tbs paprika
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp salt

I removed the backbone and had a hard time with the flimsy scissors I used, so I will be getting some pro scissors soon; you can follow any of a multitude of videos for the procedure which is really simple and once you do it, you'll get the hang of it.

Next, I added the rub to the chicken and went deep inside the skin folds and inside cavity and proceeded to light the BGE and prep it for direct heat cooking.

Once inside temp had stabilized at 350F I placed the chicken skin-side down with a closed lid.

This is the first beer I had while waiting for the 15 minute mark: 

Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale is a great GoTo beer, it just hits the spot when you want great beer but don't want to take notes, just drink. It is my grilling beer, because I will not feel guilty if I finish it without noticing.

Here's a pic just after the 15 minute just after I turned it over and closed the lid. 

Many recipes will tell you to wait 35 to 40 minutes, but in my case it was closer to 30 for until the breast reached an internal temp of 165F and the thigh at 180F.

Here's a pic of the bird all done and ready to be covered for 10 minutes of resting:

While waiting and for dinner this is the next beer I drank:

This is the second beer, Yellow Rose from Lone Pint Brewery out of Texas. It is an IPA, but it tastes like the love child of an amazing ale and a funky IPA. It smells like grapefruit and pineapple, but tastes of cereals and toast, weird for an IPA, but amazingly it pulls it off for a great beer.

Here's a piece of the breast with sorta crispy finger-lickin' good skin. Notice the juices on the meat.

Here's a leg and what seems to be a tigh.

I cannot wait to try this recipe again and maybe a spatchcock turkey sometime soon.
XL BGE since 2018
Charbroil 4 burner gas grill
Weber 22' Original Kettle Grill
Weber 14' Smokey Joe
Medium-sized beer fridge - My pride and joy

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Great looking cook!!!  Thanks for sharing and welcome!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Flat4
    Flat4 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bird looks great! Beer looks good also.. to bad I'm stuck at work this evening.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Get you a pair of kuhn rikon scissors. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Well done - That looks awesome. Sometimes I will inject a spatchcock chicken with beer - best of both worlds. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SmokeandBeer
    Options
    Get you a pair of kuhn rikon scissors. 
    Just looked them up. They look much better than mine. Will purchase.
    XL BGE since 2018
    Weber 14' Smokey Joe
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    After spatchcocking the chicken (removing the backbone and flattening), put the chicken in a pyrex dish (pie plate, 13x9, etc...) back in the refrigerator for another 2-3 days to let the skin dry out. Then rub with EVOO and your favorite steak rub. Bake 375*F 30 minutes each side, direct heat, and thank me later. MMM good. It's my lovely bride's favorite chicken (married 30 years this year).
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking bird brother....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tender, juicy, and delicious! Well done indeed
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great post and chix result right there.  Congrats.  Nailed it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Great post.  Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hebs
    Hebs Posts: 5
    Options
    Looks delicious.

I've always cooked mine at 400 on indirect heat. Guess I'm doing it wrong? It takes 45min to 1hr but the skin is extra dry and crispy but the meat is as moist as a rotisserie. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Great looking yardbird! I applaud you.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spatch - the BGE rite of Passage! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tossed the pro sissors years ago for a good heavy duty knife for both chicken and turkey. 
    I never flip chicken or turkey. 
    Yours turned out nice. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @Hebs, it sounds like you're doing it exactly right.  Your results prove that.

There's just more than one way to get to the finish line on some of these cooks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Hebs, it sounds like you're doing it exactly right.  Your results prove that.

There's just more than one way to get to the finish line on some of these cooks.
    Thanks @Foghorn (i did come across as an ass in that). Let me put this another way: you can as well do this cook with-out flipping the bird (this really makes cooking snatched tutkeys easier). 
    Your way works well as you can see. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Welcome and you nailed it
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Love that Yellow Rose IPA! Great cook too
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    That looks really good sir! Spatchcock is the only way I will do a whole chicken on the BGE anymore. Quicker, and a far better result!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Great looking bird!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Strong work.  Nice choice of beers too.  Check our the What Are You Drinking Now thread.  Lots of good posts in there too.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I just read it for the beer, and now I want a Yellow Rose Smash IPA!  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeandBeer
    Options
    Strong work.  Nice choice of beers too.  Check our the What Are You Drinking Now thread.  Lots of good posts in there too.
    Had no idea there was a beer thread! Will head there immediately
    XL BGE since 2018
    Weber 14' Smokey Joe
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Im giving your way a whirl I normally do raised 475 and my skin never comes out crispy unless I use baking soda. I never leave it in the fridge for more then a day I can never plan that far in advance. This is what it looks like so far 30 min skin side down and 35 mins skin up and IT 150 breast 160 leg so I figure another 10-15 min should do it and it looks like i burnt my skin instead of getting crispy. Dome temp has been rock solid at 350
    Long Island NY    
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    This is my second post and first time cooking chicken in the BGE and first time doing Spatchcock Chicken...
    You did GREAT!  It just looks wonderful!
  • mlc2013
    Options
    results were great a little charred skin but that is a plus on chicken in my book and nice and juicy. Thank you for your tips.

Long Island NY