Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

safe refractory cement

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    edited May 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    I "sort of" understand your concern/quandary. So many recommendations about the height above/level with/or below the gasket is from and by eggers using the gaskets sold by BGE. What you have is a Rutland gasket and none of that at gasket level is an issue! The BGE isn't even able to reach the 2,200 degrees to damage a Rutland gasket!
    You lost me.  My cooking height is based on desired cook temp, radiant heat, convection, etc.  The gasket is used as a frame of reference to describe desired location.  This is not affected by gasket material.  All gaskets do is limit unwanted airflow, and make a softer landing for closing the lid.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    Ron,

I'm not worried about the gasket as far as cooking at, below, or above the gasket level. I mention it only because I think it is awkward to get at food below the gasket level--hard to pick up and so forth. Might just be personal druthers.

I am fine cooking direct or indirect at gasket level.
    That said,  I have heard from many sources that pizza does better up in the dome...so that means above gasket level.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I cooked my first few pizzas with no special set up. Just the platesetter, stock grid and a hand me down pizza stone. They turned out great. Now I just raise the pizza stone with two bricks. Pizza still are great. You don’t need a whole lot to get great cooks. My egg is 100% stock. The gasket is peeling off in the back. No way does it pass the dollar bill test everywhere. It holds temps like a champ and turns out great food. You don’t need all these special setups and whatever. Nice to have, probably. Not needed though. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @DWFII, you're making this too complicated. I took some more pics...

This is what I use now, because I have a platesetter.

and here with pizza stone. Stock grid > PS > spacer > stone. Stock grid isn't necessary in this config, but it doesn't matter.

If/when my PS breaks, I will insert my Weber grid with stilts...

...and the broken, legless PS as the indirect piece.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    @DWFII, you're making this too complicated. I took some more pics...

This is what I use now, because I have a platesetter.

and here with pizza stone. Stock grid > PS > spacer > stone. Stock grid isn't necessary in this config, but it doesn't matter.

If/when my PS breaks, I will insert my Weber grid with stilts...

...and the broken, legless PS as the indirect piece.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the photos and the time you put in taking and posting them. It helps.

And everyone else in this thread--their comments and suggestions. That's what I like about this forum--I generally get an answer and/or good advice within an hour or so.

My concern is that it all gets too rickety, I guess--leaning tower of pizza. B)

You're right, I'm probably over-thinking it. I've got a Aura SS cooking grid coming and will go up to Home Depot this weekend and look for a 7432.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not rickety at all. Surprisingly stable in fact.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited May 2018
    Options
    if you just want inexpensive, we used to just use firebrick splits and a second weber grid on top for indirect cooks. remove the three laying flat and you are cooking raised grid direct. did this with two eggs for maybe 10 or so years, ive never bought into the platesetter

Image result for firebrick indirect setup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it