Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Careful about the chicken

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
We all know that commercial chicken can be covered w. salmonella, and we have to clean and cook carefully. Turns out we may need to be v-e-r-y careful. Some of you may have heard that chicken is sometimes washed w. chlorine to cleanse it. turns out, that just makes it impossible for standard tests for pathogens to show them.

See here for technical summary.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great, now we all have to have our chicken farms too.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't see how this changes anything for the home cook.  You always need to assume the bird has salmonella, which is why proper heat application is important.  As for having your own chicken farm, salmonella can impact home raised birds as well (maybe not as often, but they aren't doing any testing to really know).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Havent’ bought commercial yard bird in a long time. have no intention of going back. I pay $4.50lb for whole birds and butcher them myself. Turns out pasture raised birds taste a lot better too. Who knew? :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    Options
    Don't see how this changes anything for the home cook.  You always need to assume the bird has salmonella, which is why proper heat application is important.  As for having your own chicken farm, salmonella can impact home raised birds as well (maybe not as often, but they aren't doing any testing to really know).
    Like I said, everyone on this forum I would expect to know how to handle chicken. But from what I gather, the chlorine treatment was believed to wipe out the bacteria. Turns out the treatment isn't actually doing something significant, and I would have to suppose chicken so treated would have a chlorine residue. So, deal w. mass produced chix w. due diligence.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Given recent events with lettuce this seems important to industry and consumers - from the article:

"This study found that chlorine, a sanitizer commonly used for fresh produce, induces a VBNC state in the food-borne pathogens Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella enterica."

Somebody needs to start a Kickstarter project for a home food irradiation gizmo. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    Options
    In the wake of reading the article, I started looking up other methods to remove pathogens. Thought maybe a box w. evaporating dry ice might do the job. Probably not, and probably disastrous for vegs tissue. But did come across an article about CO2 drying of herbs. That in turn led to articles that re-enforced what i had thought about the use of certain herbs. Thyme and oregano oil can destroy salmonella. Seems like classic herb rubs for poultry don't just taste good, but greatly reduce the chance of pathogen infection.

So a little less drastic than irradiation (wonder how a UV lamp might work), an essentail oil mister maybe.
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    I gotta tell you, Bell and Evans or any air cooled chicken is worth the money! I won't go back to commercial brands! The flavor is worth the extra $1.00 a pound....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL