Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Which starts BGE faster looftlighter or weed burner?

I've been using an LP gas weed burner for years and I think it does great.

My son is telling me that his bud says a looftlighter is faster.

In all honesty, I don't see how but may be wrong.

Anybody here that has tried both?

Which do you prefer? I'm mainly interested in speed, and am well aware that an LP weedburner would not be OSHA approved.

Comments

• HofstraJetHofstraJet Posts: 1,123
    I have both - weed burner is much faster.
    Two Large Eggs, 36" Blackstone, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in SE Florida - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,916
    Looftlighter needs to warm up just a bit. It takes longer to light the first spot and is quicker on the second. It does act as an air billows though and you can makes the spots spread really fast. My weed burner is for actual weeds.
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 306
    IMHO the Looftlighter is for crap, I have no need to stand there holding down the damn button
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,654
    I’ve had the looft lighter for a year.  I don’t like it.  I liked what @tarheelmatt used at butt blast.  Looked like something the forest service uses for their controlled burns. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,760
    What's the hurry??  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,294
    Weed burner.....no comparison.

Nothing wrong with the looftlighter or any of the other heat guns, but fire lights charcoal a lot faster than hot air.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,654
    The looftlighter is like Hillary Clinton.  Lots of hot air and very little burn.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,506
    thetrim said:
    I’ve had the looft lighter for a year.  I don’t like it.  I liked what @tarheelmatt used at butt blast.  Looked like something the forest service uses for their controlled burns. 
    Weed burner from Harbor Freight. I typically use a almost used grill bottle from the Blackstone to attach it to, so it's not real heavy to manuver and still lasts a long time. 

If you want to get up and go with out hassle  it's the way to go. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,288
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,854
    i can cook in 5 mins or less on any of my Eggs. 

Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• EggersRUsEggersRUs Posts: 12
    Thanks for the responses, I didn't see how anything electric could be as fast as propane but now I know for sure. For those that come across this thread and don't know what they are like or where to get:

The description says safe. However, I guess it would never be OSHA approved.