Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning burn and adjusting temps

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
I'm getting ready to "break in" my project Egg--do a cleaning burn.

My first question is how do I set the daisy wheel and the lower vent to do this? What dome temps should I be looking at? And for how long?

Since I have a brand new firebox, presumably I want to bring the temps up slowly.  Or do I?

My second questions is: I have experience with other style cookers--offset and WSM. seems like we always left the top vent completely open and adjusted for temps by closing down the intake vents.

Am I wrong or do  kamados in general function best just the reverse? Set the bottom vent and make fine adjustments up top?
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you are going to do a true clean burn, remove the daisy (set it aside, not to be used) and open the bottom vent all the way. Fill with lump and let 'er rip. Oh, and remove the dome thermo as the high temps will destroy it. Also, your grid will be discolored too so remove it. Let it burn until the lump is gone.

There are some who think that you run the risk of cracking ceramic parts with such high temps (900-1000°). I don't know. Many never do a clean burn, just a high temp pizza cook from time to time, 650-700°. That keeps it fairly clean with less risk.

For normal cooking, I rarely use the daisy. I control any cook above 300° with the lower vent only. For 250° cooks, I use the daisy too. Lots of guys use both for every cook.

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I think the break in has more to do with the felt than the ceramic, so a 350 will do for that. 

I adjust mine mine with the draft always wide open and use the daisy wheel for control 
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I agree with @Carolina Q 350* and up I don't use the daisy wheel either. Bottom Vent open about an inch for 375*. I have done the clean burn where you open it full throttle, but I now go about 600/700* for a few hours. I have replaced the base of my large, and can't really say it was due to the ultra high heat cleanings but figured why even risk it. It was covered by warranty but a bit of a hassle to deal with none the less.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Your working with a used egg so no need to go crazy with temps that may or may not crack your base.  Get a 500-600° fire going and let it cruise for 1-2hrs.  If you don’t have crusty flakes on the dome your wasting time and lump with a clean burn not to mention the risk of cracking a non warranty base. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Your working with a used egg so no need to go crazy with temps that may or may not crack your base.  Get a 500-600° fire going and let it cruise for 1-2hrs.  If you don’t have crusty flakes on the dome your wasting time and lump with a clean burn not to mention the risk of cracking a non warranty base. 
    Thank you! Very informative.

What would you guess would be a good setting for the vents, top and bottom, to hit and hold 500-600°? This will give me an insight as to how to control temps and help me calibrate from there.
    Instagram
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Thank you! Very informative.

What would you guess would be a good setting for the vents, top and bottom, to hit and hold 500-600°? This will give me an insight as to how to control temps and help me calibrate from there.
    Daisy wheel off.

Bottom vent half open.

Should get you in the ballpark.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DWFII
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Daisy wheel off.

Bottom vent half open.

Should get you in the ballpark.
    Thanks...that's what I needed to know.
    Instagram
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I recommend 600-700º and letting it go until the charcoal burns out.  Time needed depends on how much build up there is.  Just like cooking a butt, it is a time/temp thing.  Longer time at lower temps - shorter time at higher temps.  600º is plenty hot for burning up the organics.  700º keeps it within the operating range of the thermometer.

"My second questions is: I have experience with other style cookers--offset and WSM. seems like we always left the top vent completely open and adjusted for temps by closing down the intake vents. Am I wrong or do  kamados in general function best just the reverse? Set the bottom vent and make fine adjustments up top?" 
         - Eggs can be controlled just fine with only using the bottom vent.  Some like using the top vent and some like to play with both.  Depending on which version of top you have, the top needs to be removed to get to higher temps. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.