Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naan recipe

Options
I know there's several long, excellent threads on naan in this group. I thought I'd share my experience if anyone's interested.

Recipe: https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/05/22/kamado-cooked-naan-from-india-pakistan/

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks great.  Thanks for putting it up.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Looking good.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!

The 2-zone setup for the platesetter is a neat tip.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great write up, thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I have made before. Will try your method next time.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Glad to see the naan recipe. I am a horrible baker, and every bit of info is valuable to me.

Liked your web site. Small right now, but will be looking for more to come.
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    Appreciate all the encouraging comments!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Thanks for posting, going to try this.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • zahulio
    Options
    Family requested naan again last night to along with the haleem my wife prepared. I followed the same recipe as before.

My wife also had a great idea to brush the naan with toasted sesame seed oil and then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. This really elevated the flavor to another level!! 
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    Nice looking naan.

I wonder why the halalpitmasters recipe didn't mention ghee, I bet that that would be more apropos

My recipe is a bit different:
    1 pkg yeast
    2 tsp sugar
    3/4 C water
    1 1/2 C flour (+/- as needed to make a soft stretchy dough)
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 C ghee (room temp)
    3-4 Tbsp plain yogurt
    1 tsp kalonji (+/- to taste) - mustard seed is a more 'correct' spice, but I like onion seed (kalonji)

mix it all together (by hand/stand mixer), let rest covered 20-60 min, roll out very thin,very lightly spritz with water and immediately place on cast iron pizza plate heated to ~500*F, bake and flip to desired bubble/char

I usually serve this with my dal, haleem, moose curry, or nihari, and basmati rice, so I don't brush with ghee or add additional flavor

optional: brush melted ghee on hot-off-the-bake-plate naan and add additional flavor powders/seeds
  • zahulio
    Options
    Nice looking naan.

I wonder why the halalpitmasters recipe didn't mention ghee, I bet that that would be more apropos

1 pkg yeast
    2 tsp sugar
    3/4 C water
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 C ghee (room temp)
    3-4 Tbsp plain yogurt
    1 tsp kalonji (+/- to taste) - mustard seed is a more 'correct' spice, but I like onion seed (kalonji)

mix it all together (by hand/stand mixer), let rest covered 20-60 min, roll out very thin,very lightly spritz with water and immediately place on cast iron pizza plate heated to ~500*F, bake and flip to desired bubble/char

I usually serve this with my dal, haleem, moose curry, or nihari, and basmati rice, so I don't brush with ghee or add additional flavor

optional: brush melted ghee on hot-off-the-bake-plate naan and add additional flavor powders/seeds
    Thanks for sharing! I'll try this out! The Ghee and kalonji/mustard seed make it more authentic.

I'm a bit surprised by the difference in flour quantity between recipes. The one I used had 4 cups of flour and yours has 1 1/2 cup....this must be a low carb version ;)
  • zahulio
    Options
    @smokeybreeze. Do you cook your naan to be crispy or soft? Our family likes it a bit crispy.

I was watching an indian cooking show today, and they were bragging about how soft their naan turned out.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I cook my naan to be soft so it can be used as an eating utensil to grab stuff like dal and absorb stuff like curry and nihari
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    zahulio said:
    Nice looking naan.

1 pkg yeast
    2 tsp sugar
    3/4 C water
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 C ghee (room temp)
    3-4 Tbsp plain yogurt

Thanks for sharing! I'll try this out! The Ghee and kalonji/mustard seed make it more authentic.

I'm a bit surprised by the difference in flour quantity between recipes. The one I used had 4 cups of flour and yours has 1 1/2 cup....this must be a low carb version ;)
    There was also 2x+ as much liquid in the 4 C flour version, so it would make double the quantity.