Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin

Options
I found these pork tenderloins at the grocery at a great deal. Issue I am having is they are turning out a little dry. I am guessing it is due to over cooking as i take then to 160 before taking off. The wife does not like pink in her pork. 

I am guessing the suggestions will be to remove at 145. But I thought i would throw it out to the community. 

Look Great, Taste Okay

Washington, DC  

1- LBGE

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    You are correct, by cooking to 160 you will get an additional 5-10 degrees (depending on how hot you are cooking) of carryover so that is why it is drying out. I will pull pork tenderloin at 140 to 145 and then rest uncovered on a rack for 10 minutes or so. Give it a go and see what you think.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Take them off earlier and let them rest to finish cooking. Try brining them first too. I brine all my lean pork with a kosher salt and dark brown sugar solution. A couple hours makes a difference. About four hours is best for my taste buds. The meat remains very juicy.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Brine or inject. Take yours off at 140ish. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    This is a cool recipe, and the result couldn't be more tender & juicy.  
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bartoweltenderloin/bartoweltenderloin.htm 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Seasonings, rub, brine, or marinade of your choice; direct, raised direct, or indirect......as long as you pull 140-145. 

It won't be dry.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    I'm in the no more than 140*F camp here.  SWMBO knows that that temp won't kill me so she has relented, much to her dismay ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    +1 on 140ish

For fancy pork (a pig whose name you knew), I go lower.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    I'm in the 135 camp. It will get to 140 while it rests. 160 is way too hot. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    td66snrf said:

Not for the wife. She doesn’t like pink. I know it’s Friday but control yourselves. That why he should take one off well b4 the other. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    td66snrf said:

Not for the wife. She doesn’t like pink. I know it’s Friday but control yourselves. That why he should take one off well b4 the other. 
    Put hers in the microwave. If you’re gonna ruin it, why take so much time doing so? JKOC. The end pieces are routinely 10 degrees above the center as they are tapered and thinner. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."